subscribers

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#46 what

what

Neowinian Senior

• 7,471 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:29

There are too many trolls here. I'd rather keep my money for something more enjoyable.

#47 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,152 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:34

I would subscribe, but being unemployed, the funds are lacking ATM

#48 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,885 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:35

I generally like this forum but I personally am not going to subscribe until something is done by the staff to actively put a stop to the constant trolling that goes on in threads about Google products. This is a pretty hostile forum to people that use Google products.

#49 Lexcyn

Lexcyn

Neowinian Senior

• 6,030 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:38

There are too many fan-boys on this site who constantly troll the competition's subforums, etc, which is why I stopped subscribing.

#50 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 13,890 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 19:06

Stopped cause I don't find any use for it, besides "the" forum, so meh...

#51 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,313 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 19:11

For me, I didn't subscribe because - while the perks were viewable - I tend to have the mentality that you can't miss what you never had.
When I won my subscription back in June (thanks again to Whitebread for that!) it was as good as game over for me, I would renew my subscription. But before I got the chance, I was contacted about the position of moderator.
Thinking back, I've tried subscribing a couple of times. Sadly the only option (other than writing a cheque) was PayPal, and while I have tried to use PayPal I don't have a credit card, effectively closing down that route.

Reading through this thread I notice that several users are criticising the mods and their moderation choices. I can understand the frustration of your post being edited/removed, but as you are aware there is a process that we follow. No one moderator (including supervisors and admins) make a decision without discussing it in our personal forum. We give our input in the decision, and a decision can be overruled. However, there are rules that you agree to when signing up to Neowin, and if your post violates those rules we take action. This is not to say that you can't contact a moderator and make an appeal.

I'm on my phone right now so it isn't easy to read back through the thread, but I know that someone on the team has already said that you can PM them if you think a decision was unjust, and I echo that invitation, as should every staff member.

It makes me sad to learn that some users would not subscribe because they think the moderators are unfair and moderate posts based on their personal opinions. This is not the case, and I urge anyone who thinks that to let myself or another member of staff know via PM if they have a problem with a decision that we make. We're not bad people, we're not robots, and we are happy to listen to your suggestions or problems if you want to help us make a difference to our (yours, mine, everyone here) community.

Now if you'll excuse me, writing that on my phone has taken it out of me. :)

#52 TCA

TCA

Neowinian Senior

• 2,929 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 09 November 2012 - 21:16

I have been wanting to Sub but, I get only so much a month. Maybe I'll go and check it out and if it's reasonable and nothing else comes up, I'll shoot for it. Been here since the day's of XP and hell I remember when ChaNinja, B0se, KoL would be regular posters. I've had my share of warnings, deleted posts etc. Except banishment. The rules have changed a bit since I registered, It's pretty much the standard with any online forum. Bigger it gets the more rules their will be placed and priors updated...I haven't really seen too many sub badges though, not like I used to see...(Pre-Bush era)

i'll say this much. When it comes to contacting a mod or reporting a post. If one mod doesn't get to it another will...I feel they are prompt in dealing with things and use their best judgement (even if you don't agree) Neowin has an open door policy with members. Been that way since the beginning I'm sure. Would they agree and work out some kind of deal? not sure it's a toss up. If the staff feel it's not up for discussion. Leave it alone. It's not easy doing what they do with numerous topics/posts being created daily....I am speaking of experience. I was a mod during TPCC, Admin of my own board TCCW (both wrestling) one closed and I let mine go bc of internet issues and working all the time. Things just tend to get really nuts...I do agree the front page new reports have been lacking some, idk if it's just me? maybe years ago their was all kinds of really exciting good news posts..today not so much few and far between. Some of them I do like to read even the ones most don't care for and are crap....Then if something goes wrong in comments it turns into civil war (I REALLY enjoy reading those)<--- okay I admit, I'm just wierd.

#53 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 09 November 2012 - 21:49

Eh, I've been a paid subscriber once, and won subscriber status once, but I'm probably not going to do it again. I don't mind helping out, but I just don't use Neowin all that much these days. Just when I'm bored at work. Plus the news section has gone for the dumpster, poor forum moderation, and too many annoying trolls on the board don't really make it worth it to me. I don't want to sound ungrateful for the service provided, but it's just not the same site I subscribed to years ago.

This is not to say that you can't contact a moderator and make an appeal.

I say this is not true though. I got a baseless warning the other day, replied to the PM from the moderator, and was ignored. Of course, I'd have to care about my warning level to pursue it anymore. Hell, I don't even know where to see what my warning level is at the moment, but I've only gotten probably 2 or 3 warnings in my 10+ years here, so I'm not too worried they are going to add up to anything that matters.

#54 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,704 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 22:09

Don't see a point.

#55 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 22:23

I had been thinking of subbing, but when you get ridiculed, bashed and demeaned over posts you make and staff not doing anything over it. I decided not to. This site and the staff used to be great. Once Upon A Time. Now, it's full of trolls/bullies. I can spend my money on other things.

#56 shinji257

shinji257

Linux Guru

• 1,497 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted 09 November 2012 - 22:34

I sub because I support the site but don't always have the funds.

#57 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 22:35

Too many trolls as of lately. Threads that get out of hand and nothing is done about it. Threads and articles seem to only get worse over the years, with more biased attitudes and such rising through out them.
Everything is just not as good as it used to be. There are less tech topics showing up, less tech discussions, and more just berating each other. Political and religoius topics are raging through the minispy, with less and less actual "meaningful" topics that help us understand the world, the science, and other things that had initially drawn me in.
Also, I've got more of a life than I had in previous years, and just spend my time here during the lull hours of work. And the time I am here, honestly, I'm enjoying myself and others less and less.... as can probably be seen in the change of my sig and such :p

#58 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,313 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:50

Eh, I've been a paid subscriber once, and won subscriber status once, but I'm probably not going to do it again. I don't mind helping out, but I just don't use Neowin all that much these days. Just when I'm bored at work. Plus the news section has gone for the dumpster, poor forum moderation, and too many annoying trolls on the board don't really make it worth it to me. I don't want to sound ungrateful for the service provided, but it's just not the same site I subscribed to years ago.

I say this is not true though. I got a baseless warning the other day, replied to the PM from the moderator, and was ignored. Of course, I'd have to care about my warning level to pursue it anymore. Hell, I don't even know where to see what my warning level is at the moment, but I've only gotten probably 2 or 3 warnings in my 10+ years here, so I'm not too worried they are going to add up to anything that matters.

Sorry for quoting the whole thing, my phone isn't playing nice...

I'll make it short and sweet: contact me via PM. This is an open message to everyone. You say that you PM'ed a mod and they didnt get back to you; that is wrong. Simple as.

I stand by what I have said (ref: written), we are accountable for our actions, and if something seems unjust then you should let us know. If you think a mod is abusing his or her role then you should let us know.

I never leave a PM unanswered, regardless of my status on Neowin. If anyone has a problem, PM me and I guarantee a response within 24 hours (randomness and what not aside) so that you guys have a solid line for your voice.

I love this community, hands down. Personally I am proud to consider myself a member, and I use it as a source in day to day conversation. As I said, it makes me sad to think that people are disappearing because of moderation. Once again, PM me and I will get back to you, no exceptions.

#59 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,006 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:37

I had been thinking of subbing, but when you get ridiculed, bashed and demeaned over posts you make and staff not doing anything over it. I decided not to. This site and the staff used to be great. Once Upon A Time. Now, it's full of trolls/bullies. I can spend my money on other things.

Best thing you can do is stay the hell out of the domestic politics forum. Seriously. Neowin is a much friendlier place outside of there.

#60 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:39

Best thing you can do is stay the hell out of the domestic politics forum. Seriously. Neowin is a much friendlier place outside of there.

This..., I prefer to stay out of politics cuz most of it's BS anyways....

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!