win8

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#166 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 May 2013 - 16:47

I did a fresh install of Windows 7, it feels to good to go back to a comfortable enjoyable OS

humanz, comfortable and enjoyable isn't the issue (the enjoyment usually is DUE to the comfort factor when it comes to operating systems). What IS the issue is when you start extrapolating your specific (and possibly unique) issues to everybody.

#167 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:03

You get over the change in direction, accept it - and move on, already.

Almost every customer I work with is using XP, with a few now just moving to Windows 7. I doubt I ever have to worry about supporting 8. With only a 3.x% market share after months on the market it'll be a while before I have to worry it anyway.

#168 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:22

Almost every customer I work with is using XP, with a few now just moving to Windows 7. I doubt I ever have to worry about supporting 8. With only a 3.x% market share after months on the market it'll be a while before I have to worry it anyway.

So you don't plan to support Windows 8.1 or above? The changes made here aren't going away any time soon.

#169 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:34

So you don't plan to support Windows 8.1 or above? The changes made here aren't going away any time soon.

Dot, he was referring to the folks he is supporting - lots of XP, and some 7. If they are enterprise customers, they are going to be largely unwilling to upgrade (whether they are under a SoftwareAssurance or other enterprise contract or not) due to training costs - I can't exactly fault enterprises for being unwilling to spend on training for a new OS when there are other priorities. Then there IS the issue that there are a ton of XP users - how much of the HARDWARE is just plain deprecated, and couldn't even run Windows 7, let alone 8? If the hardware can't run 7, it can't run 8 (especially since the reverse is also likely true) - that means that just in replacing XP with 7, there are hardware costs that WILL be incurred. If you want to avoid training costs, going to 7 (not 8) is a safe bet - and one thing enterprises like to do, especially in a shaky economy, is play it safe. I get that much.

My issue with the critics is the smoke-blowing and outright dishonesty over the reasons for their criticism of either Windows 8 in general, or ModernUI in particular. If you are uncomfortable with the UI change, say so - there's no harm in that, and I won't hate you for it; just don't blow smoke up my posterior and try to pigeonhole the UI as "touch-only" or "touch-first" - that is no more true of ModernUI than it is of Android of today.

#170 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 June 2013 - 14:17

Right from the start I thought that the tiles concept was a bad idea for the pc. Removing the start button? Even worse. Now with Windows 8.1 the start button is back. In windows 8.2 they'll probably get rid of the tiles. By the time they'll get to Windows 9 they'll relaunch Windows 7 and everyone will be happy.

#171 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 June 2013 - 14:37

Right from the start I thought that the tiles concept was a bad idea for the pc. Removing the start button? Even worse. Now with Windows 8.1 the start button is back. In windows 8.2 they'll probably get rid of the tiles. By the time they'll get to Windows 9 they'll relaunch Windows 7 and everyone will be happy.

I really doubt that they would go back. If anything Microsoft is going to evolve on the Start Screen. As with OS X right now how much more feature complete can you make the desktop environment? They can add minor tweaks, skins, and improvements, but thats about it. The way I see it, Microsoft can either keep Windows going on this hybrid approach OR separate things out. They could have gone the route of Windows Phone OS for phones and small tablets, Windows RT (no desktop) for larger tablets and Windows 8 for desktops. However again with that approach where does that leave the desktop OS, how much more could it really be improved

#172 mrmomoman

mrmomoman

Neowinian

Posted 04 June 2013 - 14:41

I have been happy with WIN8 since Beta and love it now and can't wait for the official 8.1 release.

I was skyping today and had the METRO UI Skype on the left hand side 1/4 view and the Desktop on 3/4 view snapped together and what a treat :) Now with more control coming it will be even greater.

Embrace what is already familiar and add in a few new UI touches and it isn't all that complicated to understand or get used to. The Desktop is still the Desktop so I don't understand the in and out of Metro. The Metro to me is a larger Start Menu customized to how I like it. I love reading news from it. On the Surface Pro its a real treat. I have shown people that mostly used their iPads for reading news and the way the Metro UI lays out the News Feed is very nice. Can't wait for the 2560x1440 screens hit. The 1080p is nice but more is better I believe :)

#173 A. Destroyer

A. Destroyer

Neowinian

Posted 04 June 2013 - 14:46

I've been using it for a week now and I still feel pretty much lost.
I miss the start menu! All I did there is used the search and click My Computer but I keep going to the corner of the screen searching for it.
Metro is ..idk, not for me. Why the apps takes a few seconds to load? Sure, every application we use takes a few seconds to load but with metro the stupid splash screen stops me from doing any thing else. It's like metro takes me to a completely other place in windows with its full screen etc' and i don't like it. Makes me feel disconnected.

How much time it took you to adjust to windows 8?

I am having trouble understanding why Microsoft would make a tablet-designed OS global for PCs. It just doesn't make sense. I mean, of course you can click each tile and scroll and whatnot, but these tiles would be the equivalent to Apple releasing an official OS primarily based on the iOS home screen.

So, I had come to the conclusion that I didn't like the new start screen so I disabled it entirely and added the classic start button. You can customize every last bit of it, and disable the start screen with this program. http://www.classicshell.net/ Good luck!

#174 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 June 2013 - 14:48

NickName moderetors, you're up!

#175 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 June 2013 - 18:19

I am having trouble understanding why Microsoft would make a tablet-designed OS global for PCs. It just doesn't make sense. I mean, of course you can click each tile and scroll and whatnot, but these tiles would be the equivalent to Apple releasing an official OS primarily based on the iOS home screen.

Not to disagree (and I am not a Windows 8 fan at all) but I don't see the start menu as being primarily tablet designed. The fans of the start menu say they can maneuver in it faster than they can with the old menu. I can't but I'm a old fuddy duddy it seems.

So, I had come to the conclusion that I didn't like the new start screen so I disabled it entirely and added the classic start button. You can customize every last bit of it, and disable the start screen with this program. http://www.classicshell.net/ Good luck!

I love me some Classic Shell. :)