win8

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#16 Aletheia

Aletheia

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 November 2012 - 17:06

Upgraded Win 8 Pro on 2 computers (my laptop [Lenovo G560] and my wife's desktop [low end eMachine, 4 years old]). And after using it for 1 week, I must say:

1. My wife loves it!!! She loves the Metro UI. Even in her machine, it was much snappier than W7. She seems to be enjoying computing more than before.
2. I missed start menu for first 4 days, but now, I have become used to W8 setting. I spend most of my time in the desktop mode, but I occasionally enjoy start screen options. Also, even in my G560, W8 is indeed much faster than W7. I don't do gaming, but use MS Word most of the time.
3. Also, I love "OneNote" app on start screen more than the one that came with Office 2010. I do some of my work on OneNote and it is an excellent app!

In sum, for me, yes, I do miss Start Menu, but overall experience of Windows 8 clearly outweighs the few negatives. I like the fact that my wife enjoys it... :)

#17 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 November 2012 - 17:09

Upgraded Win 8 Pro on 2 computers (my laptop [Lenovo G560] and my wife's desktop [low end eMachine, 4 years old]). And after using it for 1 week, I must say:

1. My wife loves it!!! She loves the Metro UI. Even in her machine, it was much snappier than W7. She seems to be enjoying computing more than before.
2. I missed start menu for first 4 days, but now, I have become used to W8 setting. I spend most of my time in the desktop mode, but I occasionally enjoy start screen options. Also, even in my G560, W8 is indeed much faster than W7. I don't do gaming, but use MS Word most of the time.
3. Also, I love "OneNote" app on start screen more than the one that came with Office 2010. I do some of my work on OneNote and it is an excellent app!

In sum, for me, yes, I do miss Start Menu, but overall experience of Windows 8 clearly outweighs the few negatives. I like the fact that my wife enjoys it... :)

Funny you should say that, I'm backing up my wife laptop as we speak write and planning on installing there Win8 later today. Hope she'll like it as much as your wife :) .

#18 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 09 November 2012 - 17:36

I've used 8 a couple times. I am still not used to it, I feel like it doesn't know what it is.. I am sent to desktop, then metro, then back again just for a couple simple tasks (ie: Windows Update). Like you.. 8 is just not for me.

#19 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 November 2012 - 17:40

Even though they have a new start screen, I still don't see the reason why they had to remove / Hide the "Start Button", that's just stupid. Unless you are on a tablet, and then it makes total sense..........I see what I did there!

#20 08993

It burns!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 17:47

I just used Start8 with all hot corners disabled and I now have a super slick more responsive Windows 7, I could grumble but since MS have the offer on to upgrade for silly money I couldn't complain about having to spend $4.99 for Start8.

I'm not going to go into the Modern UI debate, but I didn't buy a £2K+ PC to play with crappy apps that my Smartphone does better.

#21 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 09 November 2012 - 17:48

I've used 8 a couple times. I am still not used to it, I feel like it doesn't know what it is.. I am sent to desktop, then metro, then back again just for a couple simple tasks (ie: Windows Update). Like you.. 8 is just not for me.

That's what I don't understand, Microsoft.

Why not give users who shelled out their own hard-earned money for Windows 8, a choice -- Metro or the 'classic' Start button ?

'Different' is not always better.

#22 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 November 2012 - 17:52

What about, hey Microsoft, I'm used to something since 199?, can I have a choice??

#23 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:02

I personally would have preferred the ability to place tiles on the desktop like widgets (as seen in the Omnimo rainmeter skin) but i'm fairly used to the start screen now. It's fast for me, and the search does what it needs to do. It doesn't bother me, and i quite enjoy the ability to pin various apps to the side of my screen, like a constant twitter update or xbox music and such.

#24 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:03

While I do understand that it could be for compatibility reason, the fact that you have "Settings" in Metro and still have a full "Control Pannel" in Desktop is confusing. Some things you can do in one place, some not.... So that back and forth thing is getting old fast. File explorer in Metro? Nope, need to go to the Desktop for that. Metro IE can't play nice with a Web site, well, switch to Desktop IE10 (or use another browser, I know!).

Can't customize the look and feel of Metro! Simple thing as wallpaper, Nope.... You need Decor8 for that (or something similar).

Full screen Metro apps, what a waste of space.... And that 30%/70% split screen, well, not good enough for me.

Add to the fact that all Metro apps are so basic, some slow to load, low on feature push the use of Desktop apps. But I do find the new Microsoft games to be quite nice. But the store is still very limited.

I could go on like that, so... No, I'm not adjusting very well to Win8...!!! I prefer Win7 or OSX.

#25 08993

It burns!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:04

What about, hey Microsoft, I'm used to something since 199?, can I have a choice??

Given the choice, most people would just skip straight past "Modern UI" which is exactly what MS didn't want to happen, so they pretty much had to do it the way they did. It's a bit sneaky sure, but I totally understand why they've done it.

#26 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:09

Since I didn't use the start button in Windows 7 it took me about 30 seconds to get used to Windows 8.

#27 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:13

How much time it took you to adjust to windows 8?

I'm slow... it took me about 3 weeks to get used to it. Now that I've been using it since last February it is all second nature. It doesn't slow me down...

#28 eccofresh

eccofresh

Neowinian

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:20

if all you did with the start menu is to open it and search your computer then i dont understand your problem.

either click in the lower left corner and just start typing for a search, or press windows key and start typing. not really that hard :-S

metro apps suck imo, they take way to long to load and i dont use them expect the skype and leo app. especially leo is great if snapped to the side of the monitor if you need to do some frequent translations.
As for the start screen, my frequently used applications are pinned to it and i find it alot easier to get to them then in windows 7 or before

#29 Sekyal

Sekyal

Neowinian

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:24

It does take some time to get used to using. I only used it off and on since March, but since it was officially released I've used to constantly on my desktop and overall it has been a pleasure to use. Once you "force" yourself to do more with the Modern UI, you find out how easy it is to use. There are some things I still need to do on the desktop, but that should change as better apps are released.
I was concerned if MS made the right move, but after using it regularly, that is a definite yes.
No start8 here, that's going back to the past, but Decor8 is an awesome program.

#30 SirEvan

SirEvan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted 09 November 2012 - 19:24

I don't see why so many people have a hard time with this. It took me all of about 30 seconds to get used to it. You still move to the bottom left, you still click something that says "Start", just instead of it being desktop + start, the start fills your screen. IMO, this is actually better because you can see MORE apps on the screen.

The only area of contention is the metro tiles, im getting used to them, but other than that 8 is so much better for me that I hate using 7 on my work laptop. If it takes you more than 5- 10 minutes to get used to 8, you probably are too old to grasp new things...