win8

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#31 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 09 November 2012 - 20:22

That's what I don't understand, Microsoft.

Why not give users who shelled out their own hard-earned money for Windows 8, a choice -- Metro or the 'classic' Start button ?

'Different' is not always better.

Because the start menu was an outdated part of the operating system. http://www.neowin.ne...t__p__595048551

As for the thread starter, I wouldn't bother with a start menu replacement. Just use the start page, for me it works almost identical to the start menu. I open it (usually using the start button on my keyboard) and start typing to launch a program. I don't use many metro apps and don't bother with the live tiles.

#32 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 22:22

How much time it took you to adjust to windows 8?

not possible

That's what I don't understand, Microsoft.

Why not give users who shelled out their own hard-earned money for Windows 8, a choice -- Metro or the 'classic' Start button ?

'Different' is not always better.

excactly if windows 8 had a start menu and users had a choice, it would have a lot more positive launch.

#33 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 November 2012 - 22:26

About 5 minutes, the only time I used the start menu was to open explorer (which I now do on Windows 8 using Win + E) and starting an app via Win -> Type -> Enter (which can still be done on Windows 8). I never use metro apps though.

#34 Aasum

Aasum

Neowinian

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:00

Win+X is awesome :D

#35 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:18

Win+X is awesome :D

And cost me my Mobility Center in the process :(

#36 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:13

Mobility Center is in the Win+X menu by default on 8. It's one extra click.

That's all it cost you.

#37 +BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:02

I've been using it for a week now and I still feel pretty much lost.
I miss the start menu! All I did there is used the search and click My Computer but I keep going to the corner of the screen searching for it.
Metro is ..idk, not for me. Why the apps takes a few seconds to load? Sure, every application we use takes a few seconds to load but with metro the stupid splash screen stops me from doing any thing else. It's like metro takes me to a completely other place in windows with its full screen etc' and i don't like it. Makes me feel disconnected.

This is hilarious. The first two pages of replies to this post were people giving alternatives to what Windows 8 really is, or ways to get around the Start Screen. And yet on other areas of the forum if you say something bad about Windows 8, you'll get absolutely railed. I'm posting this from a Win8 PC, which i mostly dislike. But I'm like the OP: It still just doesn't seem like any improvement (except for faster boot times, perhaps)

#38 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:09

Because the start menu was an outdated part of the operating system. http://www.neowin.ne...t__p__595048551

I'm not starting a flame war or mentioning the start menu but by your logic it's time to get rid of cars becuase they're an outdated part of travel. And graphics because they're an outdated part of seeing things. Heck, let's get rid of toilets because they're an outdated part of everyday life.

#39 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:07

A lot of users say that Win8 is much faster. Where? I don't feel it except boot time (although boot is fast in any new installed machine)

#40 Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:15

Is there a free start menu out there?

Check out the following thread:

A List Of Start Menu Replacements for Windows 8

#41 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:23

I'm not starting a flame war or mentioning the start menu but by your logic it's time to get rid of cars becuase they're an outdated part of travel. And graphics because they're an outdated part of seeing things. Heck, let's get rid of toilets because they're an outdated part of everyday life.

The toilets and cars analogies don't work for me.

As for the start menu being outdated did you read the link I posted? Basically said the start menu was so outdated that it wasn't compatible with recent technologies that they wanted in Win 8.

#42 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:59

And yet, with all the technological difficulties, they managed to put it in the preview but not in the RTM ?

#43 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:42

And yet, with all the technological difficulties, they managed to put it in the preview but not in the RTM ?

The start menu wasn't in the preview, the code for the start menu was still available as you can't just remove something like the start menu without major testing which is why you were able to apply a hack to get it back.

#44 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:47

You said it wrong.. They hadn't removed it fully in the preview. It completely reverted the entire Explorer shell to put the start bar back. You lost single dialogue copy, ribboned browsing etc etc.

You didn't just bring back the start bar, you brought back the entire older shell.

#45 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:54

I didn't know that. I thought that a regedit tweak just enables it. Thanks for making it clear.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!