Can't adjust to windows 8

win8

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#46 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 17:39

The toilets and cars analogies don't work for me.

As for the start menu being outdated did you read the link I posted? Basically said the start menu was so outdated that it wasn't compatible with recent technologies that they wanted in Win 8.

haha, and yet all the start menu replacements apps proof excact opositive, start menu can and does work great, truth is MS wants to force millions of people to use their pathetic app store, force them to use tablet/phone apps, force them to get used to square metro interface in hopes that more people will buy their insignifican phone platform that has only 5-6% market share.

#47 Yazoo

Yazoo

Just a regular guy

Posted 10 November 2012 - 17:54

Don't care if it has a start button or not, it still will not replace Windows 7 till MS fix the issues.
I am finding Windows 8 a very broken OS for mouse and keyboard use.
Unsupported file formats, having to resort to the command line to make network links just to be able to play music and then have it fail .Along with a few other things.

Has the feeling of a console with an OS running in the background, this needs to be reversed.
Not as much as a disaster as expected but still a major headache.

I'm not stressing I'll continue to dual boot till I'm happy to switch permanently.

#48 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 10 November 2012 - 18:16

I am finding Windows 8 a very broken OS for mouse and keyboard use.
Unsupported file formats, having to resort to the command line to make network links just to be able to play music and then have it fail .Along with a few other things.

Mouse and keyboard use works just the same as within all previous Windows releases, same goes for file formats, there is no compatibility lost when it comes to what is supported.... So I'm not exactly sure why you would be having any issues...

#49 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 10 November 2012 - 18:37

haha, and yet all the start menu replacements apps proof excact opositive, start menu can and does work great, truth is MS wants to force millions of people to use their pathetic app store, force them to use tablet/phone apps, force them to get used to square metro interface in hopes that more people will buy their insignifican phone platform that has only 5-6% market share.

When exactly did I say the start menu didn't work???

What I said was the start menu wasn't compatible with the newer technologies that MIcrosoft wanted to use.

Sure they could have kept the start menu and re-wrote it to be compatible but they wanted to use the same codebase on both their tablets and desktop which is why we've got the start page.

It works almost identically to the start menu for me, in both Windows 7 and Windows 8 I open them with the Windows key and start typing for the program I'm looking for and launch it using the arrow keys and enter.

#50 Mindspin

Mindspin

Neowinian

Posted 10 November 2012 - 20:31

8 is a very frustrating OS to learn for me. I do a lot of work via a keyboard and mouse combo and it is difficult to understand how to get around Metro. I'm not giving up though!

#51 h2oskier

h2oskier

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:01

Neowinian, I have a G560 and cannot update to Windows 8 Pro. The website indicates it is not compatible yet you indicated you were successful. Please advise how. I have tried everything with no success

#52 Yazoo

Yazoo

Just a regular guy

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:17

Mouse and keyboard use works just the same as within all previous Windows releases, same goes for file formats, there is no compatibility lost when it comes to what is supported.... So I'm not exactly sure why you would be having any issues...

Well you obviously haven't visited the MS support forums lately.

Just because it works for you it doesn't automatically mean it works for everyone else.

#53 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:22

the worst part of the start screen is that it's not a replacement for the start menu, it's a replacement for the desktop.

#54 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:52

the worst part of the start screen is that it's not a replacement for the start menu, it's a replacement for the desktop.

Nope. It's a start menu replacement with a built-in notification system.

The desktop is still the desktop.

#55 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:52

took me an hour to configure all i need. i use the start menu as a replacement only. i got my programs pinned there and thats about it. i am 99% in a desktop program so nothing has really changed for me. when i make a search i just hit the windows key on the keyboard and start typing. how much easier could it be?
plus the start menu kinda looks pretty

i even prefer now the slick and clear windows frames etc... not missing the aero looks at all.

the performance is excellent, stability is excellent, internet explorer is very fast and snappy. all drivers installed automatically

so really - i have no issues with windows 8. it just works perfectly.

i wish all had the same experience. got a problem to solve? ill gladly help.

edit: there is 1 thing that gets on my nerves. when i do a search in the start menu, it does not display all results, only the results of the categories on the right side. apps, settings, files. i wish the search results would show all 3 at once. there is enough space on the screen....

#56 Thunderbuck

Thunderbuck

Neowinian

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:11

Personally, I've had a much easier time adapting to Win8 than I expected to. I'd used the preview, and even installed a trial of Start8 on it (which is excellent, and if you really need a Start menu it's only $4.99). By the time I'd installed on my own machine, I took the attitude of "aw, screw it, I'll use it as built and see how long it takes for me to want to throw my laptop across the room..."

As it turns out, I'm pretty happy with it. One of my peeves with the preview was not knowing how to switch between apps; sure alt-tab worked, but it seemed weird. Now that I know that not only does alt-tab work, but mousing to the upper left corner gets my last app (or lets me close it with a right-click), I'm having a pretty easy time now.

I like some of the Metro apps, some not so much (Slacker's is awful; fortunately, the browser-based Slacker still works just fine on the desktop).

#57 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:12

The search on the start page is the only thing that bugs me to. The only thing I miss from having Start8 installed.

#58 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:13

Well you obviously haven't visited the MS support forums lately.

Just because it works for you it doesn't automatically mean it works for everyone else.

and just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work for the rest of us.

#59 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:14

Things i really don't like on win8 (maybe there's a quick solution that i'm not aware of)
1. search - going to start, typing "windows upd" no results. I need to type "windows upd" and click on a diff catagory or "windows upd" and press down twice. stupid.
2. I installed office and i want to pin Word, Powerp etc' to my Taskbar. How can i pin something to the taskbar that is on the metro screen? I had to click on the app i wanted in the metro screen, find file location, and from there dragging it to the taskbar.

I also had a few stability issues. No BSODs but my system froze completely. I don't know exactly what's the cause , when i got home from work my screens won't wake up to a key stroke or mouse moment but i could hear the fans working.

#60 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:14

The search on the start page is the only thing that bugs me to. The only thing I miss from having Start8 installed.

What bugs you about it? hit Winkey, start typing... = results. I can't see how it could be easier but i'm willing to hear how?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!