win8

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#61 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:28

What bugs you about it? hit Winkey, start typing... = results. I can't see how it could be easier but i'm willing to hear how?

Because when you search it splits the search results into files, settings and apps.

I would prefer it if all results from my machine matching the search were returned like the old start menu did.

Things i really don't like on win8 (maybe there's a quick solution that i'm not aware of)
1. search - going to start, typing "windows upd" no results. I need to type "windows upd" and click on a diff catagory or "windows upd" and press down twice. stupid.
2. I installed office and i want to pin Word, Powerp etc' to my Taskbar. How can i pin something to the taskbar that is on the metro screen? I had to click on the app i wanted in the metro screen, find file location, and from there dragging it to the taskbar.

I also had a few stability issues. No BSODs but my system froze completely. I don't know exactly what's the cause , when i got home from work my screens won't wake up to a key stroke or mouse moment but i could hear the fans working.

When you right click on something (apart from metro apps) there should be an option to pin to taskbar shows up at the bottom (along with remove, uninstall etc)

#62 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:29

Things i really don't like on win8 (maybe there's a quick solution that i'm not aware of)
1. search - going to start, typing "windows upd" no results. I need to type "windows upd" and click on a different category or "windows upd" and press down twice to be on settings. stupid.

#63 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:54

Because when you search it splits the search results into files, settings and apps.

I would prefer it if all results from my machine matching the search were returned like the old start menu did.

Even though i like it like that, i can see why some users would be annoyed by it.

When you right click on something (apart from metro apps) there should be an option to pin to taskbar shows up at the bottom (along with remove, uninstall etc)

Ummm, i must be missing the point here as there is a 'pin to taskbar' option.

#64 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:58

took me about 5minutes, and i now find i dont think i could go back to windows 7 and u dont have to wait for the splash screen of apps click on app and go do something else nothing stopping u from doing so

#65 mkol

mkol

mkol

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32gb

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:15

go back to windows 7, I did after using 8 for few hours.

#66 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:29

Didn't take me long to get used to 8. Got the apps I use pinned and I like that it splits search results on the start screen. I admittedly don't use the metro apps, but I'm willing to give them a try

#67 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:00

Nope. It's a start menu replacement with a built-in notification system.

The desktop is still the desktop.

I never said that that the desktop isn't there. but if you look at the design of the start screen you could fundamentally skip the desktop, windows explorer, and have no need for the old start menu. This is quite simply replacing Launchpad, apple store, dashboard, and mission control with a fully functional implementation of iOS. Sure the desktop is still there but at the end of the day it's two completely different and independent systems operating side by side and switching between the two would become inevitable.

#68 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

Your worst nightmare

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:19

My 56 year old, computer illiterate, father has gotten used to Windows 8 just fine... And we use Windows 2003 at work..

#69 DPyro

DPyro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:20

If you need a start menu there's also this http://lee-soft.com/...start-menu.html

#70 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:44

1. search - going to start, typing "windows upd" no results. I need to type "windows upd" and click on a diff catagory or "windows upd" and press down twice. stupid.
2. I installed office and i want to pin Word, Powerp etc' to my Taskbar. How can i pin something to the taskbar that is on the metro screen? I had to click on the app i wanted in the metro screen, find file location, and from there dragging it to the taskbar.

I also had a few stability issues. No BSODs but my system froze completely. I don't know exactly what's the cause , when i got home from work my screens won't wake up to a key stroke or mouse moment but i could hear the fans working.

Don't know if it helps, but if you are on the desktop and right click on the Action Center icon (the little flag) you can select Windows Update from there. Nice and quick.

And you can add desktop apps that are pinned to your start menu to the task bar simply by right clicking on them and then selecting Add to task bar

Hope this helps

#71 nyolc8

nyolc8

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:56

Now I always rightclicking everywhere in osx's safari when I want to change or close a tab (IE Metro reflex) :laugh:

#72 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:00

Now I always rightclicking everywhere in osx's safari when I want to change or close a tab (IE Metro reflex) :laugh:

Microsoft really went overboard there, as far as I'm concerned. The amount of right-clicking you have to do in Metro just to constantly get the UI back into view is incredible.

#73 Aletheia

Aletheia

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 November 2012 - 18:53

Neowinian, I have a G560 and cannot update to Windows 8 Pro. The website indicates it is not compatible yet you indicated you were successful. Please advise how. I have tried everything with no success

I have successfully installed Windows 8 Pro on my Lenovo G560.
You could download all the drivers for G560 here:

http://download.leno.../ddfm/G560.html

Make sure you download Windows 8 drivers, since the webpage gives drivers for W7 and XP as well. Cheers! :)

#74 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:45

I'm trying to right click a file, "send to" -> email but getting an error that there is no default mail app installed (but the metro one is installed..). Anyone knows how to set it to work with the default metro mail app?

#75 Aletheia

Aletheia

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 16:34

I'm trying to right click a file, "send to" -> email but getting an error that there is no default mail app installed (but the metro one is installed..). Anyone knows how to set it to work with the default metro mail app?

You could try a couple of things:
1. Install Windows Live Mail on your desktop (I use it for my default email program), then you will not have that above problem. Also, it will sync with your Mail app seamlessly.
2. Or go to "Default Programs" and choose "Mail" app as your default program, and click "set this program as default" then clock "OK." This might work, but I am not sure.