16 Foot Great White Shark Tracked to NE Florida

NASSAU COUNTY, FL -- An 16-foot great white shark is off the coast of Nassau County.

The shark, named Mary Lee, is being tracked by the group Ocearch by transponder.

A map from Ocearch shows Mary Lee's travels from New England to northeast Florida.

The shark weighs about 2 tons.

source & map

Um, why does the source article say 18-foot and the thread title here say 16-foot? The shark grow or shrink? :rofl:

EDIT: Comments section on the site says 16-foot, so damn, WTF? :wacko:

Um, why does the source article say 18-foot and the thread title here say 16-foot? The shark grow or shrink? :rofl:

EDIT: Comments section on the site says 16-foot, so damn, WTF? :wacko:

Good catch.

I still wonder how they got close to the shark, to measure it. :laugh:

Good catch.

You never watched that TV show ?

They get the shark with a bait and a big ****ing line and then wait for him/her to be exhausted using air containers on the line (exactly like in Jaws actually) to keep the shark afloat. I think it takes many hours lol then they get the shark on a lift and sedate him/her.

I would not like to be the guy removing the bait from the shark mouth even if he/she is sedated though lol

Good catch.

You can fairly accurately estimate a shark's total length by observing the distance between their dorsal fin and their tail fin, if I'm not mistaken. There is a ratio that is used, but I think it varies by species.

They might have used something like this as well: http://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/the-new-way-to-measure-sharks-without-becoming-lunch.html

You can fairly accurately estimate a shark's total length by observing the distance between their dorsal fin and their tail fin, if I'm not mistaken. There is a ratio that is used, but I think it varies by species.

They might have used something like this as well: http://www.treehugge...ming-lunch.html

Nah look at the picture posted by Scorbing.

Here's a short video clip :