Photo

Sick & tired of video gaming, is that normal?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,307 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 17:56

I dont game as much as i used to im almost 31 and feel like my gaming days are over, i still game but i cant sit there and play for hours, 20 minutes is max for me. My friends which are in they're late 20s game hardcore but they are lazy good for nothings and dont have jobs.

#17 Conjor

Conjor

Software EIT

• 896 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:15

Why is there such a bias towards giving gaming some kind of blanket label like a bad habbit or "phase"? It isn't. I know people well into there 30's who still play video games, some of them make a very decent living off of it.

I'm 22, working on a Software Engineering degree at one of the most reputable Universities in Canada AND working a full time job at a software / hardware company AND still playing games 20+ hours a week.

The only correct answer that you should take away from any of this is that gaming is just another hobby. Like building model airplanes, playing a sport, <insert any activity besides working some kind of a job>. Do not try and label it as anything else because it isn't. It is simply another hobby.

Like any other hobby, there will be those who take it to some extreme and start to do damage to themselves and those around them. The same goes for almost any hobby out there.

Those who are the most successful in life, financially or otherwise, are those who live a balanced lifestyle. And by balanced, I mean you know how to spread your time over all those things in your life that are important TO YOU and not just to those things that society, or your family, or your friends think are important. My advice is to find a way to live a balanced lifestyle where you have time to do the things you enjoy without it doing damage to other aspects of your life.

If you want to game, then game. If you want to play sports, then play sports. If you want to focus on your relationships, romantic or otherwise, then focus on your relationships. Just don't let it any one aspect consume your entire life. How do I manage going to school, working, and playing games? I make time for all of them because they are all important to me.

Gaming is a hobby for me, not a bad habbit, and one that I enjoy and will continue to enjoy for the rest of my life. There have been times where I've taken it too far, but I've always found a way to get back to a balance that I enjoy.

And to answer the OP, hobby-like interest come and go, don't they? :p There was a point where I loved collecting / playing with trading cards (Pokemon, Digimon, YuGiOh, ect). Now I don't own a single one.

#18 Lachlan

Lachlan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,118 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:17

Im going through the exact same thing.. Im 25 and I find the games these days too much.. I would suggest to you that you go back to your roots and buy some of the other games that you used to enjoy during a steam sale.. instead of getting them upfront for 59 bucks a pop..

#19 Earthworm Jimmy

Earthworm Jimmy

Oh yeah, that's right.

• 8,576 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:24

i am over 30 now, and i still love video games. i have a top of the line gaming pc. i also went though xbox 360/ps3/wii as well, and i have played almost all high profile games as well.

nowadays, very few games make me exited though. i start playing and after i finish a level, i quit.

-----I WAS BORED OFF:
hitman absolution, mass efffect 3, max payne 3, assassing creed 3, METRO 2033, alan wake 1&2, Black Mesa, Deus Ex HR, and a bunch of other (supposedly) great games, all made me play for a bit and then get bored and never come back to them... EVEN THOUGH i though they were really good! dishonored was good, but nowhere as good as i expected... i did manage to finish it, but it took good 3-4 week, since i rarely played.
and that is PC only. I was bored of contless games on PS3, WII & XBOX... i ended up gifting my PS3 and all my games to a friend.

-----HOWEVER, I LOVED:
Witcher 2 say a bit slow at first, but then i took 3 days of straight playing to finish it. Walking Dead was amazing, i played every day after work until i finished all five episodes without ever wanting to stop playing. Far Cry 3 was great fun, and though i got stalled a few times, i came back to it and loved playing it.
on PS3 - God of War 3 and Uncharted 2&3 and on Wii Mario Galaxy kept me playing continuesly!!! I could not put that controller down!!!!

so, dont worry, there are great games that you will love playing !!! you are just a LOT more picky now. ;)

Im going through the exact same thing.. Im 25 and I find the games these days too much.. I would suggest to you that you go back to your roots and buy some of the other games that you used to enjoy during a steam sale.. instead of getting them upfront for 59 bucks a pop..

Very good idea.. I spend way too much on games, and always bought a lot of stuff on release date.. what a waste. most of those games were priced 50% off in a few month.

#20 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:35

I can only seem to bring myself to play games that other real life friends are playing, and that they can play with me. I've grown tired of trying to be good at a multiplayer deathmatch type of game, and don't have the time to put into a lot of games that require you to learn so much.
I still play Borderlands 2 , LBP2, and on the PC LoL. But other than that, if no real friend is playing, I'm not either.
I still can't stop buying the newest game that appeals to me, but when I actually play them now, it's not for very long, and I seldom return back to a unfinished game.
It's just all part of growing up and getting more priorities.

#21 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• 2,031 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:35

This thread is blasphemy. No such thing. You were not a real gamer. :angry:

#22 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 19:00

I can only seem to bring myself to play games that other real life friends are playing, and that they can play with me. I've grown tired of trying to be good at a multiplayer deathmatch type of game, and don't have the time to put into a lot of games that require you to learn so much.
I still play Borderlands 2 , LBP2, and on the PC LoL. But other than that, if no real friend is playing, I'm not either.
I still can't stop buying the newest game that appeals to me, but when I actually play them now, it's not for very long, and I seldom return back to a unfinished game.
It's just all part of growing up and getting more priorities.

Same with me I buy the new games I like but a lot of them go unfinished,theres only so much I can take before I get bored with them. Im not willing to.give up gaming for good but they dont fill up my time like they use to. I have a job and other hobbies that take my time now.

#23 Tews

Tews

Professional Lurker

• 2,005 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 19:21

It just means that you're growing up ... enjoy it! ;)

#24 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,974 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 12 January 2013 - 19:23

Since I got a girl. Ive abandonded my PC basically....

I found the opposite, as my last girlfriend really enjoyed watching me play and would join in with some games (Street Fighter IV, Beat Hazard, etc).

But yeah, as you get older you tend to play games less often than you used. I still find epic games - like Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and Diablo III - can keep me playing for an entire day but I often go weeks without playing anything.

#25 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 13,046 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 January 2013 - 19:36

Guess i'm getting old too as I have basically all of the newer games for the 360 and some of them are still wrapped (Christmas gifts). I bought Halo 4 on Black Friday (end of November) and only just now finished it. Normally i'd have that done in 2-3 days MAX! I started playing again in the past week, Spartan Ops but took me a little while before I got my mojo back (as in wanting to play for hours). Gears Of War Judgment will be mine and i'll probably love that. I wanted to get the whole Mass Effect story too but just been lazy to go grind thru that.

I have tons of games that I didn't finish too (Max Payne 3 being the latest) and I'm just so lazy these days to go thru the motions to finish it up. I think when girlfriend is here it helps as she also did like watching me play too, made it more fun anyways.

Welcome to being old I guess, now get off my lawn! :p

Moving this to the Gamers Hangout too

#26 gameboy1977

gameboy1977

Neowinian

• 1,146 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 12 January 2013 - 19:39

I still play video game since I was about 8 years old. it is fun to play game. :) Sometimes I take a break time from playing game then go outside often (depend on weather)

#27 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 12 January 2013 - 19:45

I love to game, but I haven't in months. I've been too busy with school, home renovations, and work. It isn't just you.

#28 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• 7,605 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 12 January 2013 - 20:38

It's just a phase you are going through. Don't worry, you'll be fine. (Y)

#29 RDJ

RDJ

Neowinian

• 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:47

Hi OP
I am 31 yrs old with a 2 yr old princess/monster.
I have been "gaming" on and off since about 2004 when I used to play LOTS of UT2004 and SC4 and not much else. Those were the only two game because I could not afford a more expensive rig. I always kept a subscription to MaximumPC and CPU (back when it was awesome , PcModder days).
I never got into Steam or PC gaming other than those mentioned. I opened a up a PC Gamer mag at a store a few years ago and saw the advertisement for Borderlands...I had to get it. I got on my PC and Googled it...that led me to Steam, and its been downhill from there...sort of. It turnes out that it was an Rockstar/2K/EA week...
Once my daughter was born, PC gaming helped to keep me awake while I stayed in the room with her while she slept. Lots of Borderands, CIV5, GTA...
I play about 20-25 hrs a week. My gaming time is mostly on Sat, Sun, Mon nights (I'm on a 4x10 schedule with Sun, Mon, Tues off) I work a full time job, take care of my daughter on my days off, cook, clean, do laundry, dishes, man of the house stuff...while my wife works and takes medical classes...and still have time to watch movies and do family guy stuff.
I do get bored of PC gaming, but its more of a go so many games no time to play situation. I mainly play single player. The only multiplayer games that I play are TF2/Tribes Ascend/RO2. I dont have any of the "new" games, and I'm not worried about it since I just started playing the original Far Cry, FEAR, and Valve library. I never spend more than $15 on game, and if i do, its because the game is part of a bundle...
Im also finding Adventure gaming to be so much fun...
Anyways, sorry if I got off topic.
Good luck in whatever decision you make in regards to your gaming needs. I dont think its about growing up, just a change of pace and lifestyle. I don't see myself getting away from PC gaming for a while...its not my fault that Amazon and Steam have these delicious sales!

#30 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,155 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:53

I used to play games like Counter Strike: Source for 4-5 hours a day. One day I just stopped and I haven't gamed in a constant basis ever since. It's normal.