HW RAID 5 Freezing

Hello all,

I have a hardware RAID 5 using an Areca SAS controller. I have two RAIDs on it one two drive RAID 0 and one four drive RAID 5. My dilemma is if I try to access the RAID 5 with file copy commands etc it stalls out. My RAID 0 on the same controller does not stall at all. I have done everything to my pc to make sure it wasn't my motherboard by updating firmware on it, the RAID controller, the latest drivers etc. The odd thing is in the controller none of the member disks in the RAID 5 have a bad SMART status all of them look just fine and the controller did a full volume check and its healthy. I was even able to do a CHKDSK with windows and it worked and passed with no errors. I don't know of a good way to readily identify which member disk might be faulty since their SMART status is good and I have a lot of data I need to get off the RAID if its looking like it might fail but any copy over a couple minutes stalls it out :(. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I un-mounted the volume till I can sort something out.

I had a similar issue with a hardware raid controller that had an external memory dimm. I replaced the dimm and it resolved the problem. Mind you, your saying only your raid 5 suffers the issue. But if you haven't checked it already. Doesn't hurt to rule it out.

I had a similar issue with a hardware raid controller that had an external memory dimm. I replaced the dimm and it resolved the problem. Mind you, your saying only your raid 5 suffers the issue. But if you haven't checked it already. Doesn't hurt to rule it out.

Thanks for the reply. My controller has 256MB of RAM directly soldiered onto it but I have been suspecting the controller as well, even though my RAID 0 on it is running solid.