• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• 3,426 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 10 November 2012 - 13:09

Are the maps really that much of an issue or is it just something Apple haters have latched on to?

The maps have worked fine for me any time I've tried them.

#17 OP Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• 1,027 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 10 November 2012 - 13:10

that was in 2077 same year as the iPhone.

I think you meant 2007.

#18 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 996 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 13:16

Yeah, their cheap 'equal to iPad 2' overpriced mini to compete with google's nexus success, and removal of their google-apps (maps, youtube, etc) from iOS, and the refresh of their 'lightning' connector to force planned obsolescence of accessories, in addition limiting which systems can work with OSX (Im sure my 2006 mini & 2007 macbook can run OSX10.9 as they run windows 8 fine). We won't even touch the 35% or whatever they take from App sales, as well as the clear show of capitalism they are demonstrating on all hardware levels. Hell, its not like iOS is incredibly stable anyway - its just super clean when its not.

Its no longer the 'user' experience, but continual exploitation of the iSheep pot of gold it seems. With lawsuits against every tech company basically, they are only digging their own grave deeper. Maybe they will actually create something amazing again and save themselves, rather than wasting time in courtrooms.

#19 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 10 November 2012 - 13:18

Are the maps really that much of an issue or is it just something Apple haters have latched on to?

Here's a word from an Apple fan:
They are absolutely subpar in terms of actual mapping data.

I also cannot express the disappointment I have that Maps won't use installed public transport apps to hook into them and grab the info needed and instead make you switch apps.

Apple's been all about design, simplicity and integration, from that point of view and expectation it's hard to sympathize with the amount of app switching going on in iOS, particularly in Apple Maps.

Just by the way: I never actually had public transport info in Maps on iOS, as Google doesn't seem to support my city. So meh, I got great apps and hence the coverage.
Even nation wide working apps that have ALL stops I ever saw.
Speaking for Germany here, public transport is a dream over here.

Glassed Silver:mac

#20 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• 450 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 10 November 2012 - 16:44

Is he refering to the brainwashing?

Religious zeal, I think it's religious zeal.

#21 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,138 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 10 November 2012 - 17:15

apple maps work fine for me too, young adults in their moms basement always need something to hate... the cool thing to hate now is apple, next year it will be something else and they will move on.

#22 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,701 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 17:34

I thought that was always the norm.

was and its still is

Is he refering to the brainwashing?

apple cult followers will keep buying their devices, nothing will change

I've never been a lover of Apple products, but they have always deserved credit for being innovative. However I think it's been a while since they did anything truly innovative.

last thing that was truly innovative was the ipod

#23 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

• 2,126 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 17:38

last thing that was truly innovative was the ipod

No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.

#24 fehu

fehu

Neowinian

• 252 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 18:13

I don't understand how people cry about maps and forget all the rest like the grip of disconnection O_o
maybe is some remaining effect from the perception filters
btw apple has so much money that they can now develop anything, I can't imagine what but now they can
The only uncovered tech mass market is console, and with sony and nintendo in decline can be the right moment for a surprise

#25 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

• 258 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 18:19

I don't understand how people cry about maps and forget all the rest like the grip of disconnection O_o
maybe is some remaining effect from the perception filters
btw apple has so much money that they can now develop anything, I can't imagine what but now they can
The only uncovered tech mass market is console, and with sony and nintendo in decline can be the right moment for a surprise

I'd like to see it, console that is. Seriously doubt they will however, its very difficult to make a console and make money doing it. It's also extremely risky, though I suppose the first Ipad was risky too, however that was something that lacked immediate competition.
Though i'll be ditching Apple to get a MS Surface as my next Tablet.

#26 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• 1,475 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 November 2012 - 18:24

He was Apple and if they want to continue they need to open up, offer OSX on PC for a start.

Now why would a hardware company do that? While it would be nice if OS X were opened up like Windows, I think Apple would only go down that road if they crunched some numbers and those numbers showed that they would make a lot more off of OS X licenses than they would selling computers with OS X. Sort of like Sega's shift from hardware/software to software only.

I do agree that Apple needs to open up if they want to remain relevant. One example is that Apple needs to release a Facetime/iMessages client for Windows especially since Microsoft looks to be making big waves with Skype. If I were Microsoft, I would launch an ad campaign highlighting the differences between the two. I think it would be one of those things that Microsoft wouldn't have to pad the feature list to make it look better.

Shoot, Apple could release an iMessages client for Android if they want to troll some.

Results vary. While I've seen other people have problems with it, it is definitely a nice upgrade for me. For my area, I find the POI data to be on par with Google's, and the satellite imagery is a lot more current.

About the Apple haters, I think it is something they've latched on to. Again, there are problems with the app that people legitimately have issues with, but I just find it funny that on Neowin there's a group of people who wouldn't touch anything Apple with your d**k spamming the forums about how bad the maps app is. People need a distraction, I guess.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!