UPS Suggestions

Hi Peeps,

I am in AUSTRALIA, so please consider that for pricing...seems to make a big difference sadly =(

I am running a pretty standard bubby home server. i3-2120, 500W Platinum Rated PSU, no dGPU, 7 WD Greens (which windows can turn off) and 3 low power 120mm fans. It doesn't really do much 99% of its life, just sits there and looks pretty.

I am after a UPS primarily for the sake of nice clean power, and also to accommodate for very short power outages (<5mins). Generally if the power goes out here for longer than a few seconds its cos something major has gone wrong and half of the grid is down.

Basically...what brands do people think will be good? I mean there are plenty of "K-Stars" and "Ritmos" which i know are crap, but what about something like a Power Shield? I was looking at the <$200 mark ideally.

Thanks for any help you can provide =)

Cheers,

UL

Oh, and I have read the other UPS threads - that means I am aware of the UPS/SPS debate thing =P

Edit: Just found a Belkin. Seems good for the price. While I know they are a 'brand name' for some things...would you trust them to be semi-reasonable for a UPS? (I don't need enterprise-grade quality remember)

I highly recommend APC (American Power Conversion by Schnider Electric)

I have the Back-UPS XS-1000 and it powers my system that has a 620W PSU for approx 32 minutes using browsers and media player and encoding (using all 4 cores) at about 18-22mins.

I paid around 120 for mine, however the price is prolly lower.

Thx for the tip RMC, Yeah I saw the XS-1000 mentioned on the other thread, however I don't seem to be able to find it, only the 650 VA. There is a 1000VA APC, but its the Smart-UPS and they're >$500 =/

Australia, the ugly sibling of the tech world, seems to be stuck with the brands of UPS people haven't heard of =P (Socomec, Eaton, Upsonic, CyberPower, etc)

No problem ;-)

Eaton is actually used in a buncha datacenters. I know of that brand.

I'll bet shipping is a killer from the US so that's not an option unless you get someone to buy it for you and ship it to you for less then direct.

How long have you searched for this????

I have an APC - replaced an earlier APC but with a lot more VA. Both work perfectly. I'm in a remote rural location with long overhead power lines, and short (<1 min) outages are pretty common. The APCs hnadle those, no problems, the current battery gives me about 20 mins max.. The software is also pretty good; I'm configured to hibernate the PCs when the remaining battery life is 5 mins, which guarantees minmum problems for the rarer 1/2 hour outages.