Photo

Blizzard Sued over Battle.net Authentication

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 13:53

It's almost a given that if you DON'T use an authenticator, your account WILL be compromised.
Blizzard is basically forcing their customers to pay because Blizzard's security is abysmal.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 November 2012 - 13:59

It's almost a given that if you DON'T use an authenticator, your account WILL be compromised.
Blizzard is basically forcing their customers to pay because Blizzard's security is abysmal.

umm no, that's BS. use a good password and you won't get hacked. neither me nor my girlfriend ever got hacked before we added our athenticators this summer.

#18 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Normal Neowinian

Posted 11 November 2012 - 14:13

Nonsense, I played for six years and was never hacked. Use a proper password and some common sense. Certainly having an authenticator is a good idea, it's one more layer of security but saying you WILL get hacked without one is absurd. That said this lawsuit is ridiculous and should be thrown out.

#19 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5 (iOS 6)

Posted 11 November 2012 - 14:15

it was thier fault my account was comprimised not mine

I'd love to hear your reasoning because I'm pretty sure it's a load of ****.

#20 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 11 November 2012 - 14:31

if blizzard sells them for free and only charges shipping couldn't blizzard save a ton of money and time by shipping them en-masse to walmarts/target/etc to distribute for free to people who buy blizzard games?

No, because then people will complain that Blizzard didn't provide them with free transportation to pick them up from Walmart.

#21 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 11 November 2012 - 14:53

i was forced to use one by blizzard after my account was comprimised or they wouldnt reinstate my account, and hell it was thier fault my account was comprimised not mine

someone stealing your password because of your actions is their fault?

#22 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:13

this suit is really stupid. they are claiming that they force people to buy something to guarantee security when they don't need to buy anything there are several free options and it is OPTIONAL additional security not mandatory. they are not suing saying that the servers not insecure they are suing about making money from the authenticators.

#23 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:51

umm no, that's BS. use a good password and you won't get hacked. neither me nor my girlfriend ever got hacked before we added our athenticators this summer.

Nonsense, I played for six years and was never hacked. Use a proper password and some common sense. Certainly having an authenticator is a good idea, it's one more layer of security but saying you WILL get hacked without one is absurd. That said this lawsuit is ridiculous and should be thrown out.

Why pick a good password when you can pick a very strong and excellent one? Well, even if you do there's still a chance that your account can become compromised. Also, just because it hasn't happened to you in x amount of years doesn't mean that it can't happen to someone else in x amount of hours.

Case in point, I stopped playing WoW in December of 2010. In November of 2011, some Chinese farmer started running around on my toon. He was able to level my character to 85 and get a few achievements done before getting my account locked. So, my question was, how did someone just guess my password that contained a bunch of random upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols? It was a fairly new password that I only used for Battle.net. I did a deep system scan of OS X, and nothing turned up (note: nothing turned up in the years that I did scans.), and I make it a point to stay 100 miles away from UI addons, gold buying services, using the password for another service, or anything else under the Sun that could compromise one's account.

tl;dr, my **** is pretty locked down, but my account was still compromised.

Just two weeks ago, someone maliciously got into my Google account. However they managed to do it, (the password was even more random, longer, and stronger than my battle.net one) Google flagged it immediately and blocked them from accessing it, so now I use the two step verification.

I'm sorry, but the days of using just a good password and some common sense are long over. I don't even think that there were ever days doing only so was acceptable. Just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean that you're smart. It just means that you're lucky.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:00

they don't need access to your computer to hack your WoW account, they could have hacked your gmail which you just said got hacked, they can do a man in the middle attack. they could have tricked you with one of the better versions of those scam emails they send out. there's any numbers of ways to do it and most of them is your fault not Blizzards.

Also I replied to a post that said, and I quote

And lets face it, the majority of players don't get "hacked".

#25 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:33

This is pretty true. I had a secure password and stopped playing. About half a year later my account was hacked.

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:49

This is pretty true. I had a secure password and stopped playing. About half a year later my account was hacked.

Was it actually hacked or did you get a mail saying it had been hacked.

#27 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:55

Dumb. #1 It's optional and not mandatory.

It is mandatory. Blizzard security is not first class. In fact this is probably one of the less secure online service around.

I got my battle.net account hacked even if i was using a perfectly secure password 10 random digits (numbers and letters with a cap and a special) that was unique. I did not have any keyloggers on my system and did not fall for any scam or phishing. All the addons was clean addons millions of people use like dbm and i downloaded them using my 2nd PC. Never bought money i farm my own things. The PC was clean as it is also my work PC and i never use it to browse sites that are not offcial or forums (like neowin) or to check hotmail or gmail. This is my work PC and it is used to work only (check my work emails, browse msdn and such) and also play games since it is a good machine. I use my 2nd less powerful PC to browse the web and do not so much secure things. I'm 100% sure the breach came from Blizzard side.

I never got hacked ever. Not before not after. Hotmail never hacked. Gmail never hacked. Guild Wars 1 and 2 never hacked. Live never hacked. I think most people using battle.net without an auth got hacked at least once.

I will honestly not shed a tear for Activision Blizzard after faction change. They got greedy and i would call this karma. Well deserved class action lawsuit.

#28 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Titan

Posted 12 November 2012 - 15:00

i was forced to use one by blizzard after my account was comprimised or they wouldnt reinstate my account, and hell it was thier fault my account was comprimised not mine

I can't wait to hear your explanation as to how its Blizzard's fault your account was compromised.

#29 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 12 November 2012 - 16:16

I never got hacked ever. Not before not after. Hotmail never hacked. Gmail never hacked. Guild Wars 1 and 2 never hacked. Live never hacked. I think most people using battle.net without an auth got hacked at least once.

Yeah, not even close.

#30 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 12 November 2012 - 16:34

Since Blizzard doesn't even make passwords case sensitive, it opens everyone's accounts up to being hacked rather easily. Doesn't take long for people to brute force a password, especially when you don't have to do capital letters anywhere.
Blizzard has posted time and time agian, if you don't have an Authenticator, you are compromising your account. That if you do get hacked, it will be harder to get anything back because you "Didn't take ALL the avenues to secure it."
Due to blizzard basically saying in the past that an Authenticator is needed to keep your account secure, they have opened themselves up for this.
Doesn't matter what you think, because the law doesn't work that way. There is merit to this suit, although in reality, it is stupid.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!