Photo

Is my Playbook more than just a doorstop?

blackberry playbook rim

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:59

^ Umm RIM is based in Canada so of course it's gonna have good marketshare here... But it's still fading, BBM is a fad, a dying one at that, they could have made so much money on making BBM cross platform before Hookt and the others even before they were thought up.

#17 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2013 - 14:11

If there is no official update intended from blackberry for BB10 perhaps someone has managed to port android to it?

#18 matt4pack

matt4pack

Neowinian

Posted 02 January 2013 - 15:03

Every so often I pull mine out just for a laugh. Last time I talked about it it was in the comments on Engadget where someone convinced me that it was better now, there were more apps, good apps, etc. I got on and 99% of all apps are garbage just like before. The device hardware is fantastic (or was at the time, and is still better than other tablets in some ways), it's a shame we can't throw another OS on there. Blackberry as a whole is completely dead. This whole rebuilding thing they are doing is a waste of what money they had left. I've seen the computer industry enough, people have moved on from blackberry and they aren't going back. Too many large companies spent money to migrate from Blackberry to iPhone mostly for corporate phones (Android still isn't good for that), they aren't going to go back to Blackberry now.

And 99% of the apps on iOS and Android are garbage as well. Do they not have enough fart apps for you? Just needs a few of the mainstream apps like NetFlix and Skype (not likely with MS owning) but Blackberry 10 should help with that.

Other then that they aren't dead with 79 million users and America is not the center of the world. They have significant market share in Asia and Europe. You could say the same garbage about Apple 10 years ago and most were. I've seen the computer industry enough, people have moved on from Apple and they aren't going back. Sounds great doesn't it.

#19 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:26

^ Umm RIM is based in Canada so of course it's gonna have good marketshare here...  But it's still fading, BBM is a fad, a dying one at that, they could have made so much money on making BBM cross platform before Hookt and the others even before they were thought up.

People don't buy BlackBerries because they're partisan. BlackBerries are doing well in Canada because they address the needs of Canadians, particularly with regards to traveling long distances without recharging and ridiculously expensive data plans. It's a user base that RIM can continue to grow from with BB10.

If there is no official update intended from blackberry for BB10 perhaps someone has managed to port android to it?

There is an official BB10 update coming to the PlayBook. When hasn't been announced, because they're focusing on getting the phones out as quick as possible first, but it will happen some time this year.No chance in hell of anyone ever getting Android running on it. It's too secure to hack that way. The PBOS2 beta exploit has been fixed, and a new one hasn't been discovered.

#20 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:41

I'm sorry but my iPhone 4s' battery lasts longer than any of my friends with BB's (and I use mine heavily)

#21 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:57

How old are the BlackBerries your friends have?

#22 Vinny4

Vinny4

Neowinian

• OS: Win8Pro-PC / Win7Ent-EdgeE220s / SurfaceRT / Nexus 7 / BB Playbook
  • Phone: iPhone4 (work) / HTC 8X 16GB (personal)

Posted 20 January 2013 - 17:27

BB10 is supposed to be officially unveiled on Jan 30th and apparently they will be announcing that the playbook will be upgradeable to BB10. If true it might give some more life to the playbook.