4.3 magnitude earthquake reported in Kentucky

WHITESBURG, Kentucky (AP) ? The U.S. Geological Survey is reporting that an earthquake centered in Kentucky also rattled other nearby states.

The USGS website says the epicenter of the 4.3 magnitude earthquake on Saturday afternoon was about 10 miles (16 kilometers) west of Whitesburg. Residents in nearby Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Indiana, Ohio and Georgia also reported feeling the temblor.

National Weather Service spokesman Jeff Carico says employees at the office in Jackson, which is about 60 miles (100 kilometers) northwest of Whitesburg, felt the ground shake for about 15 seconds. He says the office has gotten numerous calls, but so far no one has reported any serious damage.

USGS geophysicist John Bellini says the quake is considered "light" and isn't expected to cause major damage.

Source

This better not ruin my trip in two weeks. (<--A joke.) I hope it doesn't escalate, and become anything more.

I was sitting here on my computer when I heard what sounded like a boom, and then it felt like something hit the house. Then everything started shaking; I wasn't sure what was happening at first, this is the biggest quake I've ever experienced. Usually out here we just get a bit of light shaking that many people don't even notice. That was a pretty big one (for this region).

I don't think anyone would be "fracking" in Kentucky. Or any states near it. The New Madrid Fault Line is one of, if not the most dangerous in the country, in terms of the damage it would cause when it eventually "goes off."

If they are, they are supremely stupid.

I don't believe they do that here, we just have strip mining mostly. I'm sure it was just a natural earthquake, been a long time since we've had one.

As for the New Madrid fault, the last big quake was over 100 years ago and it was huge. The Missisippi River flowed backwards for several hours.

Charleston1895.gif

I don't think anyone would be "fracking" in Kentucky. Or any states near it. The New Madrid Fault Line is one of, if not the most dangerous in the country, in terms of the damage it would cause when it eventually "goes off."

If they are, they are supremely stupid.

I'm not aware of any fracking operations around here. I live in eastern Kentucky and I was up and awake at the time, but I didn't feel anything. Some of my friends said they felt it shake a little bit, I must have been in the shower or something because I didn't even know about it until about 45 minutes later and people started asking me about it. Looking back though, our dogs started barking at the trees around the time it was supposed to have happened, maybe they felt it.

Kind of crazy, you "expect" quakes in California because it happens quite often, but since they don't happen very often here people often forget what the New Madrid fault is capable of. In 1811 a quake from the New Madrid fault caused the Mississippi river to flow backwards for a while to form Reelfoot Lake.

oh boy I got a work trip coming up that's gonna take me into the area... wish me luck guys...

I'm not aware of any fracking operations around here. I live in eastern Kentucky and I was up and awake at the time, but I didn't feel anything. Some of my friends said they felt it shake a little bit, I must have been in the shower or something because I didn't even know about it until about 45 minutes later and people started asking me about it. Looking back though, our dogs started barking at the trees around the time it was supposed to have happened, maybe they felt it.

Kind of crazy, you "expect" quakes in California because it happens quite often, but since they don't happen very often here people often forget what the New Madrid fault is capable of. In 1811 a quake from the New Madrid fault caused the Mississippi river to flow backwards for a while to form Reelfoot Lake.

I was talking to my buddy who is in Waco, KY (outside of Richmond) on Gtalk, and he said it sounded like shotguns going off near him. Few minutes later it was reported.

What part by the way? I'm from Richmond/Lexington myself.

oh boy I got a work trip coming up that's gonna take me into the area... wish me luck guys...

I'll be there with ya, if it is during Thanksgiving!

Earthquakes can happen anywhere, 4.3 isn't that big. You non-west coast people scare easily ;)

I think it is more fear of the fault that lies under them, rather than a 4.3 earthquake. And the fact, the area is not prepared in the slightest for an earthquake in terms of building structure, or readiness of citizens.

The biggest thing, is the fact the army depot sits outside of Richmond, KY, and it holds a LOT of mustard gas (leftover from past wars). Growing up we had to drill so many times just in case there was ever a leak. An earthquake could rupture those, and if the gas leaks... Well no one in Kentucky would be safe as it would reach all around the state, and carry into states nearby. It would most definitely wipe out eastern KY.

what the **** is up with this fracking being done in sensitive areas? I know that my moving itchies aren't for nothing now... I kinda feel like something is telling me to get out of this region... this is just confirming it...

The nearest town to me is Salyersville. I don't really live "in" any town, but Salyersville is the closest one. It's about a hundred miles east southeast of Lexington in Magoffin County.

We get jumpy with earthquakes here because they don't happen very often, and nobody really knows what you should do in the event that we have one. Me and mine would be fine because we live out in the woods with some wide open bottoms, and we cut all the trees that would ever be in danger of falling on the house, so I don't think we'd have too much to worry about, but the towns around here don't prepare for that kind of thing. Just earlier this year a tornado touched down and ripped through the business district of Salyersville and tore hell of hinges in West Liberty. 99% of the people here had never seen a tornado in real life, so when an F-3 touched down in town it tore everything to shreds, and many of the businesses that were damaged haven't even bothered trying to re-build.

what the **** is up with this fracking being done in sensitive areas? I know that my moving itchies aren't for nothing now... I kinda feel like something is telling me to get out of this region... this is just confirming it...

You can move anywhere you like but it could happen anywhere such as hurricane, tornados, thunderstorms, etc.

I don't care what would happen to my town.. I am not afraid of anything. I used to live in the Virgin Islands for awhile... hurricanes usually come through the islands .... they can stay and re-build.

You can move anywhere you like but it could happen anywhere such as hurricane, tornados, thunderstorms, etc.

I don't care what would happen to my town.. I am not afraid of anything. I used to live in the Virgin Islands for awhile... hurricanes usually come through the islands .... they can stay and re-build.

thing is the chemical industries here make it even more scary..... other regions don't have near the amount of chemical plants, storage, etc as the region I reside does here. I only moved back here to be close to the family and now that my mom wants to move and my sister does too than I am going to as well... we are allready making plans...

I hope the New Madrid fault is not becoming active. There has been several small quakes centered around it lately.

Maybe it's a good thing. I'd rather have an occasional small tremor to release the pressure than one giant one.

Cue Right Wing Watch video with nutter saying this was because of the election result :sleep: :sleep:

thing is the chemical industries here make it even more scary..... other regions don't have near the amount of chemical plants, storage, etc as the region I reside does here. I only moved back here to be close to the family and now that my mom wants to move and my sister does too than I am going to as well... we are allready making plans...

I understand. Wish you and your family the best luck.