In extreme pain

OK so I chipped a tooth a while back and it didn't hurt but I don't have the money to go and get it fixed. And now all of a sudden it has decided it wants to hurt like a motherfu***r and I can't sleep, I can't do anything and the pain is nothing compared to me shattering my wrist, breaking my knee or breaking my nose and I am just about ready to roll into a ball on the floor from the pain and just wait to die it hurts that bad. I would gladly take being set on fire over this.

I have no idea what to do because its just gone 3:20 am here, I have taken enough pain killers that if I take anymore I will overdose and they are not working. I can't go to the hospital because I don't think they deal with this in England and I seriously don't know what to do.

I would have gotten it checked out but round here my old dentist closed down, no dentists are taking people on and I don't have the money for the emergency treatment so I am royaly ****ed if the pain doesn't stop soon.

I need some help ><

Sounds like it got infected. Do a walk-in at a dentist's office in the morning. They'll probably X-ray and confirm infection, then write a prescription for antibiotics. Take the antibiotics (couple hours to kick in) and keep the follow-up appointment.

In the meantime, cold water can numb the pain, but it only works on a timescale of seconds. Aspirin is ineffective.

By the way. Yeah. You know what you had or didn't have money for, and you have some idea of what you can and cannot do. You'd better revise that outlook by the time places start opening up in the morning, because the present issue was A). Preventable and ultimately less costly, and B). Not going to just go away now that it has developed beyond the preventable stage.

I've been there twice. Sucks.

Sounds like it got infected. Do a walk-in at a dentist's office in the morning. They'll probably X-ray and confirm infection, then write a prescription for antibiotics. Take the antibiotics (couple hours to kick in) and keep the follow-up appointment.

In the meantime, cold water can numb the pain, but it only works on a timescale of seconds. Aspirin is ineffective.

I can't find any dentist that will open up on a Sunday morning. This is driving my crazy.

There should be clinics open 7 days a week (at least they are in the US...don't know about the UK) that can prescribe antibiotics. Worse comes to worse go to the ER. If it is infection you don't want to mess around with it.

Basically, see a real Dr.

Dr. Neowin's hands are tied.

If you can find a doctor to prescribe basic antibiotics, then do that.

All doctor surgeries within like 30 miles are closed and I don't know any doctors > <.

I'm getting to the point where I am just gunna tear the tooth out with my needle nose plyers.

There should be clinics open 7 days a week (at least they are in the US...don't know about the UK) that can prescribe antibiotics. Worse comes to worse go to the ER. If it is infection you don't want to mess around with it.

Basically, see a real Dr.

Dr. Neowin's hands are tied.

MedExpress here has been awesome... I had the foot problem and they sent me to a doc that you normally have to wait months to see and I got an appt within a couple days! I got very good treatment. I also had a sinus infection they gave me good antibiotics for that worked good and fixed some of my skin issues as well. They had no issues with my insurance either.

Pain seems to have finally eased off a little. Should be able to make it to Monday. Where I can hopefully go into a dentist and beg them to remove the ****ing tooth before I tie a piece of fishing line around it and have a friend slam a door shut to pull it out ><.

Sometimes I think the NHS system is a little annoying here. You would think the hospital would have an emergency dentist for things like this ><.

All doctor surgeries within like 30 miles are closed and I don't know any doctors > <.

I'm getting to the point where I am just gunna tear the tooth out with my needle nose plyers.

if you are low income you can get waivers on that if you show proof of low income. this works for ER visits... my sis doesn't have insurance and they waived one of her hospital stays...

Alot of nhs Hospitals have emergency dentists on call. At least mine do.

You can walk into any dentist or doctors and get treated as a temporary resident. You will have to do some paperwork thought, call and tell them you want to be a temp resident and they will tell you what to do

I can't find any dentist that will open up on a Sunday morning. This is driving my crazy.

Call NHS direct and they'll put you in touch with your nearest Dentist. It's an emergency and will be treated as such because, left un treated, it can turn in to septicemia which is exactly what happened to me a couple of months back.

I cracked my tooth on a Friday afternoon, by Saturday 7AM i was like you are now, just waiting to die. By Saturday PM my face was like a Football. Problem with me was it was a bank holiday weekend, i honestly thought i was going to die.

In the end my girlfriend phoned NHS direct who put me through to my local emergency dentist who saw me within an hour of the phone call. Most emergency dentists are on call and will either come out to your local dentist and/or hospital.

In the mean time, take co-codamol and ibuprofen together in the highest dose you're allowed (to be fair i used to go out with a Pharmacist and she told me those doses are still way below the tolerance of most adults so use that information how you see fit, i'm certainly not going to tell you to take more ;). See if you can get an anti-swelling agent from anywhere as this is what causes to the nerve to react so badly.

If the worst comes to the worst and an abscess forms, grab a needle and boil it up in the kettle to sterilize it then take a nice big swig of whisky or another high alcohol spirit, hold it in your mouth around the abcess/infected area, swallow it, pray to heaven and pop the abscess. Instant relief for me.

• Like 1

Call NHS direct and they'll put you in touch with your nearest Dentist. It's an emergency and will be treated as such because, left un treated, it can turn in to septicemia which is exactly what happened to me a couple of months back.

I cracked my tooth on a Friday afternoon, by Saturday 7AM i was like you are now, just waiting to die. By Saturday PM my face was like a Football. Problem with me was it was a bank holiday weekend, i honestly thought i was going to die.

In the end my girlfriend phoned NHS direct who put me through to my local emergency dentist who saw me within an hour of the phone call. Most emergency dentists are on call and will either come out to your local dentist and/or hospital.

In the mean time, take co-codamol and ibuprofen together in the highest dose you're allowed (to be fair i used to go out with a Pharmacist and she told me those doses are still way below the tolerance of most adults so use that information how you see fit, i'm certainly not going to tell you to take more ;). See if you can get an anti-swelling agent from anywhere as this is what causes to the nerve to react so badly.

If the worst comes to the worst and an abscess forms, grab a needle and boil it up in the kettle to sterilize it then take a nice big swig of whisky or another high alcohol spirit, hold it in your mouth around the abcess/infected area, swallow it, pray to heaven and pop the abscess. Instant relief for me.

some time ago i had an abscess but it was right under a tooth so the root was digging into it and i couldn't get a needle anywhere near it to pop it and even as i type i've got another wisdom tooth getting ready to sing....

Pain has completely stopped now. It stopped after my mouth was no longer cold. I have sensitive teeth and with one being chipped I guess that didn't help.

Going to make an appointment with the dentist but even on the NHS you have to pay and I don't exactly have cash to spare ><.

You'll just have to pay the bill off. Don't **** around waiting for your teeth to fix themselves, they wont. It only gets more expensive the longer you leave it. Not to mention tooth infections can be extremely dangerous, and are well known to cause damage to the heart if left unchecked.

• Like 1

You'll just have to pay the bill off. Don't **** around waiting for your teeth to fix themselves, they wont. It only gets more expensive the longer you leave it. Not to mention tooth infections can be extremely dangerous, and are well known to cause damage to the heart if left unchecked.

I'm not an idiot and I'm not "f***ing around" I'm going to call the dentist Monday morning. And I know how dangerous tooth infections can be. Which is why I went out and got a bunch of creams for Tooth Ache that are Anti-Septic to fight off infection. I do know this I am not some damn child who is waiting for it to fix itself.

I posted this asking for help, you didn't need to swear at me and treat me like an idiot.

If I'm reading this right, your max cost under NHS is ?209...

http://www.nhs.uk/NH...hours-care.aspx

I'd think you should probably contact the NHS for immediate advice and treatment imo (not over-the-counter remedies).

According to http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1781.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742 if it is an emergency which I am sure this is...

Emergency or urgent treatment

If you require urgent care, you will only need to pay one Band 1 charge of ?17.50. Most urgent treatments can be done in one appointment.

Which means it should only cost me ?17.50. Things like a Root Canal or Tooth Extraction is in band 2 which is ?48 so it doesn't seem to bad.

This dentist in my town centre is new and looking to take on NHS patients and I am heading up tomorrow, so hopefully I will get seen then.

Thanks for the help.

Any more suggestions are welcome. : )