• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:36

if you pull it yourself you might get a lethal infection as well....

#17 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,870 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:05

Alot of nhs Hospitals have emergency dentists on call. At least mine do.
You can walk into any dentist or doctors and get treated as a temporary resident. You will have to do some paperwork thought, call and tell them you want to be a temp resident and they will tell you what to do

#18 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,537 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:04

I can't find any dentist that will open up on a Sunday morning. This is driving my crazy.

Call NHS direct and they'll put you in touch with your nearest Dentist. It's an emergency and will be treated as such because, left un treated, it can turn in to septicemia which is exactly what happened to me a couple of months back.
I cracked my tooth on a Friday afternoon, by Saturday 7AM i was like you are now, just waiting to die. By Saturday PM my face was like a Football. Problem with me was it was a bank holiday weekend, i honestly thought i was going to die.
In the end my girlfriend phoned NHS direct who put me through to my local emergency dentist who saw me within an hour of the phone call. Most emergency dentists are on call and will either come out to your local dentist and/or hospital.

In the mean time, take co-codamol and ibuprofen together in the highest dose you're allowed (to be fair i used to go out with a Pharmacist and she told me those doses are still way below the tolerance of most adults so use that information how you see fit, i'm certainly not going to tell you to take more ;). See if you can get an anti-swelling agent from anywhere as this is what causes to the nerve to react so badly.

If the worst comes to the worst and an abscess forms, grab a needle and boil it up in the kettle to sterilize it then take a nice big swig of whisky or another high alcohol spirit, hold it in your mouth around the abcess/infected area, swallow it, pray to heaven and pop the abscess. Instant relief for me.

#19 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:15

Call NHS direct and they'll put you in touch with your nearest Dentist. It's an emergency and will be treated as such because, left un treated, it can turn in to septicemia which is exactly what happened to me a couple of months back.
I cracked my tooth on a Friday afternoon, by Saturday 7AM i was like you are now, just waiting to die. By Saturday PM my face was like a Football. Problem with me was it was a bank holiday weekend, i honestly thought i was going to die.
In the end my girlfriend phoned NHS direct who put me through to my local emergency dentist who saw me within an hour of the phone call. Most emergency dentists are on call and will either come out to your local dentist and/or hospital.

In the mean time, take co-codamol and ibuprofen together in the highest dose you're allowed (to be fair i used to go out with a Pharmacist and she told me those doses are still way below the tolerance of most adults so use that information how you see fit, i'm certainly not going to tell you to take more ;). See if you can get an anti-swelling agent from anywhere as this is what causes to the nerve to react so badly.

If the worst comes to the worst and an abscess forms, grab a needle and boil it up in the kettle to sterilize it then take a nice big swig of whisky or another high alcohol spirit, hold it in your mouth around the abcess/infected area, swallow it, pray to heaven and pop the abscess. Instant relief for me.

some time ago i had an abscess but it was right under a tooth so the root was digging into it and i couldn't get a needle anywhere near it to pop it and even as i type i've got another wisdom tooth getting ready to sing....

#20 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

• 1,427 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 23:35

Pain has completely stopped now. It stopped after my mouth was no longer cold. I have sensitive teeth and with one being chipped I guess that didn't help.

Going to make an appointment with the dentist but even on the NHS you have to pay and I don't exactly have cash to spare ><.

#21 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

• 1,208 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 23:44

You'll just have to pay the bill off. Don't **** around waiting for your teeth to fix themselves, they wont. It only gets more expensive the longer you leave it. Not to mention tooth infections can be extremely dangerous, and are well known to cause damage to the heart if left unchecked.

#22 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

• 1,427 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 23:49

You'll just have to pay the bill off. Don't **** around waiting for your teeth to fix themselves, they wont. It only gets more expensive the longer you leave it. Not to mention tooth infections can be extremely dangerous, and are well known to cause damage to the heart if left unchecked.

I'm not an idiot and I'm not "f***ing around" I'm going to call the dentist Monday morning. And I know how dangerous tooth infections can be. Which is why I went out and got a bunch of creams for Tooth Ache that are Anti-Septic to fight off infection. I do know this I am not some damn child who is waiting for it to fix itself.

I posted this asking for help, you didn't need to swear at me and treat me like an idiot.

#23 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,819 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 23:58

I'd rinse out my mouth with peroxide, apply oil of cloves to the tooth -- go get a state medical card (or whatever you have in England), then go to the dentist.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Oil_of_cloves

http://www.walgreens...d357247-product

#24 trek

trek

7 / X

• 2,914 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 00:03

If I'm reading this right, your max cost under NHS is £209...

http://www.nhs.uk/NH...hours-care.aspx

I'd think you should probably contact the NHS for immediate advice and treatment imo (not over-the-counter remedies).

#25 OP +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

• 1,427 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:08

If I'm reading this right, your max cost under NHS is £209...

http://www.nhs.uk/NH...hours-care.aspx

I'd think you should probably contact the NHS for immediate advice and treatment imo (not over-the-counter remedies).

According to http://www.nhs.uk/ch...bCategoryID=742 if it is an emergency which I am sure this is...

Emergency or urgent treatment

If you require urgent care, you will only need to pay one Band 1 charge of £17.50. Most urgent treatments can be done in one appointment.

Which means it should only cost me £17.50. Things like a Root Canal or Tooth Extraction is in band 2 which is £48 so it doesn't seem to bad.

This dentist in my town centre is new and looking to take on NHS patients and I am heading up tomorrow, so hopefully I will get seen then.

Thanks for the help.

Any more suggestions are welcome. : )

#26 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,870 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:29

I feel like I have to reiterate what others have said as you have not responded if you have taken the suggestions, which are spot on.
It sounds as if you definitely have an infection. Especially reading the reaction you have to hot and cold. I have had a very similar experience with one of my molars. The pain is literally the worst pain I have ever experienced.
So do the hot water with salt.
Another thing to do, is to brush your teeth with baking soda and vinegar. It is a natural mouth disinfectant, and once I discovered it, I swear by it. It IMMEDIATELY helps to ease the pain for me. It truly helps. Here is how to do that.
If you do not have either, if you have hyrdogen peroxide, rinse with a cup filled with half peroxide half water.

Finally, drink hot tea. The heat no doubt helps with the pain. Avoid the cold at all costs. It no doubt makes it worse.

The above tips should help you get through the night until you can see a doctor/dentist. Once you begin taking antibiotics, the pain should clear up pretty quick.

Long story short, why it hurts so much is you get an infection near the tooth area. The infection exists around the nerves of your teeth. The larger and harder the infection gets, the more it is "pinching" your nerves. That is why it hurts so damn much, and it no amount of pain killers can do anything, as they are not fighting the infection. This is why hot and warm liquids really make a big difference. An infection of this kind pretty much is caused by mucus, that is why cold liquids make the infection "harden," while warm liquids loosen the infection, meaning the mucus. So do the hot liquids ASAP, and on top of that, the peroxide or the baking soda/vinegar solution, as both will help to start with the infection itself.

Good luck. As I said, I have been there, and it is the worse.

#27 .bin

.bin

I'm here for the free cookies!

• 552 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:57

Either apply a clove of garlic on the affected/infected area, or a warm tea bag on the area of pain.

This is a natural remedy and you will be dreaming in no time. It's also a proven fact; that if you 50/50 mix Bicarbonate of Soda and Water in a glass and using a cottonbud apply it to the affected area, it will draw the infection to a surface and you are able to extract and relieve the pain. A followup appointment will be needed for the doctor to prescribe you some metronidazole or a cocktail of antibiotics. It's recommended you do NOT use cold water.

Let me know how you go with this. :)

#28 jamieakers

jamieakers

Neowinian

• 469 posts
  • Phone: Dell Venue Pro

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:43

You can afford Internet but not NHS dentists? Seems like your priorities are all wrong. I'm guessing you have a TV License too?!

#29 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:50

You can afford Internet but not NHS dentists? Seems like your priorities are all wrong. I'm guessing you have a TV License too?!

To be fair, UK's internet is FAIRLY cheap compared to another places (I think most part of Europe has this nice thing)

#30 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• 902 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:56

You're 21... don't you have parents you could ask for help? Or a friend? Surely someone ought to have £17.50/£48 for you.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!