Remote wipe a Android device?

Hello

A friend of mine lost a Samsung Galaxy Mini I believe (it was Samsung) and he wants to remote wipe it (via IMEI). Google shows that Google in some form supports this but Im not sure.

How can it be done? 2.3 is the version.

Because blocking the IMEI should only not allow the phone to be used on any network; Android OS doesnt give a **** and will still have the (local) content right?

Um.........

If he lost the phone, how can he install the app? Yeah, he can send it but it must be open and preconfigured right?

From the website:

No pre installation required

You didn't install AndroidLost on your phone? No problem! You can push the AndroidLost app to your phone from google market and initiate the connection to googles servers by sending an SMS with the message "androidlost register" to your phone.

Along with the above, iirc, Avast for Android can remotely wipe the device, if you sign into the Google account that is live on his device, then goto the Google Play Store and hit install on Avast, if it is powered on, it will install to the device too

One thing is installed, another thing is running.

Android I BELIEVE does NOT start a application as soon as it is installed.....

If the app is designed specifically to let you wipe your device if it is lost or stolen, I have a feeling it will run once it is installed

If the app is designed specifically to let you wipe your device if it is lost or stolen, I have a feeling it will run once it is installed

Linux (Android) does not allow this AFAIK.

The app says it does, so why would it not ?

There is a difference between the app and the operating system. Yes, the app might says it does but the operating system doesn't.

Stop questioning and just try it. It works.

Tried and it didn't work, just like I thought.

It hooks into the SMS system therefor it "runs" when it's installed, int he way that the SMS service will push sms notifications to the app even if it's not running and thus start it, the app then look at the sms it's received and checks if it has the right "code word" if it doesn't it ignores it it, if it does, it wipes.

So even if the phone is off right now, it could wipe on first startup, if the app gets installed before the sms is received or the app also gets pushed previous sms'.

of course if they turned off the phone and removed the sim, yeah you're lost.

• 2 weeks later...