Facebook and mutual friends?

I'm a bit confused in how this mutual friends thing work. So I can't see the friends list for two people that I know. I have disabled that feature as well so that these two individuals can't see my friends list either. What's weird is that I know that they're both friends and yet when I click on their profile, it doesn't say that we have any mutual friends even though we have one another on our friends list. So can someone explain to me how this is possible? I know that the two individuals have one another on their list because one of them liked one of their posts as recent as yesterday.

If all three of you have disable mutual friends, Facebook can't make the connection that you are mutual friends, so it will say none possible.

If Bill, Fred and Sam are all Friends with each other, and all 3 have Mutual friends enabled, all 3 will see 3 mutual friends.

If Bill disables Mutual friends, Fred and Sam will see Fred and Sam in Mutual friends, but not Bill, Bill won't have any Mutual Friends

If all 3 disable Mutual Friends, no-one will see any Mutual Friends

When editing your friend list, it says the following:

Who can see your full friend list on your timeline?

Note: mutual friends will still be visible to other people.

If you don't have any mutual friends, then it means one person isn't friends with another. It's possible for someone to like another person's post despite not being friends. The post would have to be made public (via the inline audience selector). It can also be shared with friends of friends. And one more way would be for a mutual friend to be tagged in the post (when it's just friends only). People can customize the audience even more by making their posts visible to specific networks too.

• 2 months later...

If all three of you have disable mutual friends, Facebook can't make the connection that you are mutual friends, so it will say none possible.

If Bill, Fred and Sam are all Friends with each other, and all 3 have Mutual friends enabled, all 3 will see 3 mutual friends.

If Bill disables Mutual friends, Fred and Sam will see Fred and Sam in Mutual friends, but not Bill, Bill won't have any Mutual Friends

When were you ever able to disable the mutual friend feature? I thought there was no way to turn that off?

Sounds like an old math question