Now You Can Try ChromeOS Without Buying a ChromeBook

Just noticed this on OMGUbuntu. I just found it and thought I'd share, so I really don't know any of the details except the end result is that you can install ChromeOS in Ubuntu so you can try it out. Not sure if there's a Windows or Mac version of this out yet.

Linkage: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/how-to-run-chromeos-in-ubuntu

Just downloaded it ... is the .deb really meant to be only 4KB? I assume it contains a script that prompts the full download.

Not sure, I haven't tried it out yet. It obviously loses the advantage of being a trimmed down, web-centric OS, because it's running on top of Ubuntu, but if your goal is just to tinker with it, develop for it, or try before you buy, this seems kind of cool.

Wouldn't this be easier? http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

That's awesome, he even has VirtualBox machines for download. Every time I'd looked for a Chrome OS download in the past all I found was "Buy a ChromeBook!". I guess it just took a bit for it to get out into the community.

Another way:

You can use Parallels (VM software for Mac OS X) to run it.

They even have an option to automatically download it and install it for you in one procedure.

No need to grab links. :)

(not sure whether they have the most current version yet)

^same for Android even. (not ICS/Jelly Bean though afaik)

Glassed Silver:mac

I tried that ... it won't connect to my network via WiFi or Ethernet. Attempting to connect it to WiFi, it prompts me

for my WPK security key, but gives no actual options to configure the connection. It just gives up with an error:

Chromium OS was unable to connect to Kitamura.

Please select another network or try again.

This particular OS is pretty much useless without a live network connection, so I'm unable to use it at home.

The only bad thing about this is that there isn't a live ISO provided, and it's tricky to get it to actually install. I tried writing the image to a Sandisk U3 USB drive and it wouldn't work.

The only bad thing about this is that there isn't a live ISO provided, and it's tricky to get it to actually install. I tried writing the image to a Sandisk U3 USB drive and it wouldn't work.

Have you tried the Virtualbox version?

I'm currently volunteering at a place that sells old and refurbished computers, and 3 pretty low end machines have just came in that I think ChromeOS would be perfect for.

So I downloaded the latest hexxeh build for VirtualBox, and it boots to what appears to be a setup screen but the "Continue" button is grayed out, I suspect because it's not picking up the VirtualBox network adapter.

I have no "real" reason to use ChromeOS, I'm perfectly happy with Ubuntu, I just wanted to play around with it and see what it was all about, thought it'd be cool to be able to educate myself about it a little bit.

post-125978-0-35198500-1352765858.png

So I downloaded the latest hexxeh build for VirtualBox, and it boots to what appears to be a setup screen but the "Continue" button is grayed out, I suspect because it's not picking up the VirtualBox network adapter.

I have no "real" reason to use ChromeOS, I'm perfectly happy with Ubuntu, I just wanted to play around with it and see what it was all about, thought it'd be cool to be able to educate myself about it a little bit.

Yep I also get that.

The Lime version has no VM VHDDs.

I still can't get the hexxeh build of Chromium OS to connect to my network, due to there being no configuration options.

With that obstacle in the way, I can't set an IP address for it, so I'm unable to use this OS on my home network.