Photo

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 Lilrich

Lilrich

Apple Fan-Boi

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:10

I am sorry, but I am going to assume you have no idea how making semiconductor manufacturing works. You cannot just turn up one fine day and decide to make a chain of semiconductor fabrication plants. Assuming Apple decided to invest $50 billion in manufacturing their own chips and managed to hire the leading professionals in the industry, and everything went smoothly according to plan, the first chip off the line would probably be in 2018 at the earliest.

Their best bet is to acquire a semiconductor fab company. Unfortunately for them the only two that has the capacity to produce 200 million ~100mm2 chips are Samsung and Intel. TSMC is already way over capacity and struggling to meet demand from Qualcomm, AMD and Nvidia. One of the reasons Tegra 3 is still at 40nm is because there simply is no capacity at the latest 28nm process tech. I know TSMC are investing heavily in 20nm process and it is likely they will start making chips for one or two of Apple's products. Maybe they can handle iPod touch. But iPhone and iPad? No chance, not for many years.

I think much of this decision has to do with the growing popularity of Samsung in the smartphone market. Their growth rates are through the roof and it is a simple matter of choosing themselves or Apple. I suppose if Galaxy S4 and S5 continues this trend they would have no choice to boot out Apple in the coming years.

You're right i have no idea, was simply an idea i mean they have gone at it alone before with bits and bobs was thinking maybe they might do it with this, don't want a flame war was just a idea :)

#17 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• 1,643 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:12

http://www.androidau...ce-bump-130419/

Do we feel any sympathy towards Apple? Not in the slightest

No. I usually don't have sympathy for companies.

#18 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:12

Funny stuff, the hunter becomes the hunted.

#19 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

• 227 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:15

Maybe it's also to compensate for Apple dropping Samsung screens for LG and AU.

They are not really "dropping", just using multiple suppliers. That said, it appears that iPad Mini displays are exclusively made by Samsung. All the teardowns so far (incl iFixit) has revealed Samsung displays.

#20 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:19

This has put a smile on my face if im honest, im glad Samsung have turned around and said that they are upping the price after all, all apple has done is take them to court and try and have there devices banned in countries.

Good on Samsung is all i have to say, now if only other companies followed suite :)

#21 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

• 227 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:21

Here's an interesting article worth reading: http://semiaccurate....e-boot-in-hard/

#22 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

• 2,480 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:22

Ah ok. I didn't really check the iPad Mini. I looked up the iPad 4 teardown recently because I was thinking of getting one. But they'll probably take this opportunity to reduce the amount of screens they get from Samsung. Especially if they can get a good price out of the other suppliers.

#23 Lilrich

Lilrich

Apple Fan-Boi

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:24

This has put a smile on my face if im honest, im glad Samsung have turned around and said that they are upping the price after all, all apple has done is take them to court and try and have there devices banned in countries.

Good on Samsung is all i have to say, now if only other companies followed suite :)

I mean this is pathetic, fan boys like you drive me up the wall. Apple sued Samsung becuase they copied there design patents you cant just expect a company weather they use the offending companys products to lie down and let other companies rip you off.

If Samsung want to play hard ball i am sure they will come off worse in the end.

#24 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

• 227 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:25

Ah ok. I didn't really check the iPad Mini. I looked up the iPad 4 teardown recently because I was thinking of getting one. But they'll probably take this opportunity to reduce the amount of screens they get from Samsung. Especially if they can get a good price out of the other suppliers.

There's no doubt that the share of Samsung displays in iDevices has gone down over the years. If you read the article above, it suggests that once again it is Samsung cutting supply than Apple dropping them.

#25 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:28

I mean this is pathetic, fan boys like you drive me up the wall. Apple sued Samsung becuase they copied there design patents you cant just expect a company weather they use the offending companys products to lie down and let other companies rip you off.

If Samsung want to play hard ball i am sure they will come off worse in the end.

Only according to one judge. Most of the others have thrown their cases out of court ;)

#26 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:31

Karma.

#27 Lilrich

Lilrich

Apple Fan-Boi

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:32

Only according to one judge. Most of the others have thrown their cases out of court ;)

Well whatever, but you see this from people all the time business is business and you cant expect Apple, Microsoft or whoever to just let the competition rip them off just becuase they supply them wish screens or something.

#28 Brandon

Brandon

Neowin RUNNER

• 13,022 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:35

Everyone here is missing a huge point. Apple sued the Product side of Samsung. The parts/R&D side of Samsung may as well be a separate company (and probably is for accounting standards).

The two parts may be owned by the same organization, but they operate differently and on different budgets etc.

#29 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

• 227 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:46

Everyone here is missing a huge point. Apple sued the Product side of Samsung. The parts/R&D side of Samsung may as well be a separate company (and probably is for accounting standards).

The two parts may be owned by the same organization, but they operate differently and on different budgets etc.

Apple sued Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. It is a subsidiary company of Samsung Group that controls both smartphone design and display manufacturing (among numerous other things - it is a truly vertically integrated company, the only of its kind in the world). Of course, the display division, smartphone division and the semiconductor division operate independently, but they share a common hierarchy.

Things would be different if Samsung Electronics and Samsung Semiconductor were two different subsidiaries of Samsung Group, as I assume you were implying.

#30 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,900 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:02

Yes, because Apple was the ONLY COMPANY EVER to use rounded corners... Seriously, no offense, but these patents were just laughable. They should never have even been awarded. Some of them had MOUNTAINS of prior art. And this is only going to get worse with the changes the Obama Administration has made to the Patent system (Just another thing they don't understand).

And Apple deserves what they get if their arrogance made them stupid enough to think that they would be able to sue such an important supplier without any repercussions. They cannot go somewhere else. It is not that easy. Apple should have known that. They deserve what they get. I have no problem defending legitimate patents, but Apple was using ridiculous patents as a means to keep competition out of the market, and that was all.

There's no doubt that the share of Samsung displays in iDevices has gone down over the years. If you read the article above, it suggests that once again it is Samsung cutting supply than Apple dropping them.

For the screens, I think that has all but been proven. Samsung has had to turn away HTC in the past as well because they just could not make enough SAMOLED screens (At the time) for them and everyone else that wanted them.