Apple Rumored To Begin Trial Production Of iPhone 5S Soon

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:27

Yes, I want Apple to keep releasing a new phone every 3 months, just so we can tell the retards from the rest, and watch Apple quickly eliminate all other customers.

Only the stupid will continually keep buying each minor revision, while the rest will get sick of how quickly they feel "left behind".

#32 OP +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,060 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:20

Almost all companies are working on the next version of a product as soon as their current one comes out. Sometimes even 2 generations even ahead. Seems a lot of people don't know this.

you buy a phone because its cool? weird.

Of course people know it but if you look at other companies you see that the changes between versions is big, in hardware and software. I dont think Apple is making big changes between versions.

And about your second comment, you'll be surprised how many people buy iPhones because they are cool.

#33 pepsihabbit

pepsihabbit

Pepsihabbit

• 682 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:37

Who cares how often Apple, or any other company releases a product? Oh yeah.. The people who have to have the newest and fastest gadget. Ur coveted Iphone 5 is worthless when the 5S comes out right? The problem isnt the companies. Its the buyers who measure there self worth, with the toy they own. Companies are greedy and you zombies just keep feeding them.

#34 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,823 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:02

Cant really see them changing much. They have been behind lots of others spec wise and every revision seems to be a minor one.

#35 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:34

Hey they did it with

Source: techcrunch

On a personal note, i already think that they are going down hill and if this is true then it's even going to be worse.

Releasing a new phone only 6 months after the previous one will really **** people off. Some people break contracts just to get the latest iPhone but doing so only 6 months after having a new contract will be much harder for people.

If they will roll out some new technology that they held from iPhone 5 just to make people buy the 5S it will be even more evil than i thought they are.

Hey they figured: "We did with the iPad, why not do it with the iPhone."

Unless they change the way the OS looks and works, they are done.

#36 Joswin

Joswin

Over a decade on Neowin

• 2,840 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 32GB [Gold]

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:54

Do we expect them to start working on their latest phone 4 weeks before they ship it or something? Of course not.

I expect to see this in September or October 2013. The iPad update was something of a necessity as the introduction of the lightning port meant all new iPads shipping over the holidays would have been bundled with accessories incompatible with the latest iPhone and iPods. Not good.

I know its 'hip' to hate Apple at the moment. But really, whats going on around here? :/

Unless they change the way the OS looks and works, they are done.

Rediculous.

#37 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:59

Do we expect them to start working on their latest phone 4 weeks before they ship it or something? Of course not.

I expect to see this in September or October 2013. The iPad update was something of a necessity as the introduction of the lightning port meant all new iPads shipping over the holidays would have been bundled with accessories incompatible with the latest iPhone and iPods. Not good.

I know its 'hip' to hate Apple at the moment. But really, whats going on around here? :/

Rediculous.

And why is that? I own an iMac, an Apple TV, an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4S, but the truth is the truth. They need to do something about iOS. It needs to be redesigned. It needs to be more open so that people can make it their own. Let the user customize it any way they want without the need to use a Jailbreak. That's what I'm saying.

#38 Joswin

Joswin

Over a decade on Neowin

• 2,840 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:30

And why is that? I own an iMac, an Apple TV, an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4S, but the truth is the truth. They need to do something about iOS. It needs to be redesigned. It needs to be more open so that people can make it their own. Let the user customize it any way they want without the need to use a Jailbreak. That's what I'm saying.

Ok, at the risk of being branded some form of Apple branded farm animal... such is the trend :huh: I will give my opinion.

Because iOS is distinctive, simple, works well and performs well. Changing it because people are 'just bored' seems fool hardy. The majority of people dislike change (see the Windows 8 rages) and its only the handful of tech enthusiasts and nerds/geeks that want things to constantly be reinvented and customised to OCD levels of intracasy.

It does exactly what it needs to do, I could care less that it has no live wallpapers or 'widgets' which people seem to call it out for. The value of those things seem dubious at best. I owned a Galaxy S2 last year after moving from an iPhone 3GS, and at first I loved it. Then I quickly started to realise that the widgets and animated wallpapers were of very little value to me, and I simply filled those home screens with App shortcuts. Which gave me something that looked like iOS (such was TouchWiz). Maybe thats not everyones experience but it was certainly mine.

I fully agree with you on general customisation, they could allow you to take things further than a simple wallpaper. For me I think a lot of the redesign would be on the lock screen. Having information presented from certain apps there, instead of just notifications. They could also do well to giving you the ability to 'default' apps on your device. So you could say, set Chrome as your default browser. Or maps etc.

I think there is lots of room for improvements, and they are slowly doing them, but a complete overhaul seems drastic and unnecessary. It should evolve of course, and I hope it does. With Mr Ives at the helm now I would hope to see some very interesting developments. There are things in Android that id love to see Apple compete with, such as Google Now.

#39 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:25

Ok, at the risk of being branded some form of Apple branded farm animal... such is the trend :huh: I will give my opinion.

Because iOS is distinctive, simple, works well and performs well. Changing it because people are 'just bored' seems fool hardy. The majority of people dislike change (see the Windows 8 rages) and its only the handful of tech enthusiasts and nerds/geeks that want things to constantly be reinvented and customised to OCD levels of intracasy.

It does exactly what it needs to do, I could care less that it has no live wallpapers or 'widgets' which people seem to call it out for. The value of those things seem dubious at best. I owned a Galaxy S2 last year after moving from an iPhone 3GS, and at first I loved it. Then I quickly started to realise that the widgets and animated wallpapers were of very little value to me, and I simply filled those home screens with App shortcuts. Which gave me something that looked like iOS (such was TouchWiz). Maybe thats not everyones experience but it was certainly mine.

I fully agree with you on general customisation, they could allow you to take things further than a simple wallpaper. For me I think a lot of the redesign would be on the lock screen. Having information presented from certain apps there, instead of just notifications. They could also do well to giving you the ability to 'default' apps on your device. So you could say, set Chrome as your default browser. Or maps etc.

I think there is lots of room for improvements, and they are slowly doing them, but a complete overhaul seems drastic and unnecessary. It should evolve of course, and I hope it does. With Mr Ives at the helm now I would hope to see some very interesting developments. There are things in Android that id love to see Apple compete with, such as Google Now.

Agreed. I like the simplicity of iOS, yes, very much, but they really need to let us customize it a bit. For example. one thing I would really, really like for them to do is give me the option to completely turn off all animations. Not everyone likes animations and I am one of them. Animations slow the UI and I am a speed freak. I like things to pop up fast and quick, not 2 seconds later.

#40 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:34

CHA-CHING!!

Apple is one of the most amazing companies... they know they can release something every 6 months now, with minor updates, and people will buy it like crazy!

And how exactly is that different from Motorola, Nokia, or HTC (to name just a few)?

#41 Brandon

Brandon

Neowin RUNNER

• 13,022 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:45

+1

I saw an iPad mini at Bestbuy. Played with it. It's a nice gadget. Then I used the OS... The Asus Windows RT Tablet was to the right of it.... MS got the tablet OS right and Apple should take a page from their book.

#42 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

• 4,786 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:08

im not shocked by this all companies do this but what are they doing to do make the phone

1 thinner ?
2 improve the camera ?
3 fix the maps

i dont see much that can be changed with out a whole new phone

#43 Joswin

Joswin

Over a decade on Neowin

• 2,840 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 13:43

Even with a 'whole new phone' what can they improve? It's still going to be a phone.

It's going to be thinner. Have a new camera... just like every other smartphone out there.

#44 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 13:52

im not shocked by this all companies do this but what are they doing to do make the phone

1 thinner ?
2 improve the camera ?
3 fix the maps

i dont see much that can be changed with out a whole new phone

If I were Apple, I would forget about making a new phone and concentrate on fixing iOS and that useless Maps app. I really wish Apple would also add a setting on iOS to give the user the option to completely turn off all animations. Apple seems to have a legitimate obsession with animations and all they do is slow the UI down. iOS is faster than that, but the stupid animations cripple it. I hate them and I want to be able to turn them off if I want.

#45 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,013 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 13:53

As an example, Sony's latest smartphone (the Xperia T/TL/TX) isn't even out yet in most countries, yet we've been seeing benchmarks for the next model (to be released in Q2 2012) since the summer.

Designing and testing a phone takes a LOT of time. The whole process from scratch takes around two years you know.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!