• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ThePitt

ThePitt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,809 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:40

TOKYO —
On Oct 1, knowingly downloading copyrighted music and video in Japan became punishable by up to two years in prison and a 2 million yen penalty.
The law was passed in June after the Japanese music industry, the second largest in the world after the U.S., reported continued financial losses, with analysts suggesting that just one in 10 downloads were legal.
Since the law came into effect, there have certainly been some changes, and many Internet users have become reluctant to click that download button for fear of receiving a hefty fine, meaning that the law has been a success in a way.
According to a recent statistical survey, however, since the law was passed, sales of music in Japan have continued to fall and consumers are actually showing less interest in music than ever before.
Livedoor News reported that the results of a consumer survey show that more than 68% of respondents spend “0 yen” on music in an average month; the highest the figure has been in almost 10 years.

http://www.japantoda...r_2012-11-07_AM

#2 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,613 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:41

lol

#3 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:42

According to a recent statistical survey, however, since the law was passed, sales of music in Japan have continued to fall and consumers are actually showing less interest in music than ever before.

Only one thing to say to that.....

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

#4 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

• 3,293 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:43

Fine by me, if they don't want to pay for it, don't listen to it from a download.

#5 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:45

hahahahahaha, fail!

#6 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,613 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:46

Fine by me, if they don't want to pay for it, don't listen to it from a download.

Sure, but here it says they are spending less. That statistic is referring to legal purchases.

#7 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:48

I think you missed the point here Johnny.

This is showing a correlation between the years-long supposition that a lot of people use piracy as a 'try before you buy' solution.

Doing the downloads lets them try out the music or video content, and if they like it then they go pay for it.

Personally this is why I've kept my old $15 Zune Pass. I get to use the subscription part of it to discover new music, and the 10 credits each month to keep what I want. It's basically a legal form of the above-mentioned method.

I had a feeling sales would drop when they started cracking down on this. They are basically just hurting themselves...not the people.

#8 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

• 4,163 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:48

Maybe now they will listen? ... or not. Just let them dig their own grave.

#9 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,190 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:53

Anti-consumer laws are detrimental to an economy you say?

Forcing people to gamble on buying music they might not like reduces sales you say?

Propping up your obsolete business model through legislation doesn't work you say?

Well I'll be a son of a gun. No-one could have seen this coming. :rolleyes:

#10 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,930 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:59

Fine by me, <snip>

I see what you did there :p

But seriously, this surprises people... why?

#11 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,401 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:00

The japanese music industry is VERY different to other music industries worldwide. You think paying £10 for a CD is bad? Go to japan, from what I remember the cheapest CDs you'll find are £30, the labels over there have deals with shops to NOT sell below a certain price, if they do, they're cut off from being supplied.

#12 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,207 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:14

Take that, RIAA :p

#13 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

• 3,293 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:15

This is showing a correlation between the years-long supposition that a lot of people use piracy as a 'try before you buy' solution.

I don't think I've ever known anyone who's genuinely done this - they either set out to buy it in the first place, or "try" it by listening to it on the radio. All this research is showing was that Japanese music sales were falling before the ban, and they still fell after the ban. All that's happened now is people are feeling less entitled to think they have a right to download it, and just get on with other things instead. Which is fine. It hasn't increased sales, but it's stopped a number of people from listening to what they legally shouldn't be.

#14 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:21

I don't think I've ever known anyone who's genuinely done this - they either set out to buy it in the first place, or "try" it by listening to it on the radio. All this research is showing was that Japanese music sales were falling before the ban, and they still fell after the ban. All that's happened now is people are feeling less entitled to think they have a right to download it, and just get on with other things instead. Which is fine. It hasn't increased sales, but it's stopped a number of people from listening to what they legally shouldn't be.

Well now you can say you know one.

Before Zune I often sampled an album. If I liked it I bought it. If I didn't like it then I didn't even bother with the Recycle Bin. I would just Shift-Delete it.

The only industry I could be accused of harming is the rental video industry. Even then it would be a small amount since I generally buy my movies used from Blockbuster since they offer Previously-viewed Blu-Ray movies for like $4-$5 a pop.

Some stuff I buy new...but with Blu-Ray being as durable as they are...I have yet to buy a disc with a single scratch on it.

Bringing that back around...now you know someone who has in the past employed a 'try before you buy' method. Almost everyone I know who is a 'pirate' does the same thing.

#15 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:26

I try before I buy EVERYTHING that I can.