A month after download law, consumers spending less on music

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:49

Probably a lot of music is bought after hearing someone else playing it and deciding to grab it on iTunes or buy the CD, and if the majority of people playing those songs in the first place were doing so illegally, and are now not due to the law change, then the people who would have heard them and bought them are no longer doing so either

Word or mouth / ear is a big chunk of advertising

#32 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:08

If history serves as anything: There was once a time when artwork, paintings, and photos costed a lot of money. Forgery was a big business, and highly illegal during this time, copying artwork, with varying punishments.

Now, you just "google" an image, and if you want it you just save it... Set it as your desktop, or go the extra mile and have it "blown up" to be framed or just go to any art store and get one of many replicas. All the frame work done for you. Completely legal, copied art pieces.

Most people don't go buy art to hang up, unless they really like it. I don't see how this is any different than music, or any other artistic or entertainment medium. Record labels, gaming and movie industries are just greedy and refuse to change their ways as time goes on.
That will of course eventually change.

#33 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

• 2,741 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:25

The reason for low Japanese music sales is simple: AKB48

Holy cow! It's like the cast and crew of High School Musical learned Japanese and jumped up on the stage and started singing! WHY DID I JUST GOOGLE THAT?, lol!

Edit: Sorry, I know it was off topic. Didn't mean to break up the very interesting conversation you guys were having. My apologies! Back on topic....