Windows will not go to desktop

Yes, I have avast installed. Why?

Far be it from me to presume what another user is planning on saying, but I assume it's related to the troubles that Avast has been having of late.

They have caused all sorts of havoc on Windows 8 machines. I actually recommend staying away from them for a while until they work out their issues, especially considering that Windows 8 has a very robust AV/AM tool built right into the OS.

Far be it from me to presume what another user is planning on saying, but I assume it's related to the troubles that Avast has been having of late.

They have caused all sorts of havoc on Windows 8 machines. I actually recommend staying away from them for a while until they work out their issues, especially considering that Windows 8 has a very robust AV/AM tool built right into the OS.

OP has Windows 7

OP, have you tried Microsoft FixIt! http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal/

See if that thing finds out whats up.

OP has Windows 7

Doh. I noted that while working with them on earlier posts, but forgot about that during this latest reply. Thanks for spotting that.

So based on that I would still say to find something other than Avast for the time being.

SafeSurf over on the Avast forums posted up the following information in this thread:

I suggest an uninstall and clean install if you are still having problems.

1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD:

Version 7.0.1456:

Avast Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

Avast Pro AV : http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe

AIS: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe

2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD.

3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.

4. Go into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool. Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast you had on this machine and reboot in between each uninstall.

6. Reboot.

7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.

8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS online.

Free ? http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

9. Update the Avast definitions.

I would follow things up to the point of actually uninstalling Avast, and then when you're back in to the machine install something else. I generally recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, but it's really up to you.

My point about Avast have numerous issues of late is still valid for Win7. :)

Yea its a service hanging, the suggestion to uninstall Avast seems to help other similar cases

Also uninstalling any Virtual Drive softwares such as Daemon tools / Virtual Clone Drive etc were suggested as possible causes

Don't quote me on this, but from what I have just read on other forums with the same error, "Computer Browser service" is not essential and can be disabled until you work out what was causing the issue, it seems that service is the cause of the black screen

Running disk chk at the moment. Long process, seems to be taking awhile. On step 5/5. Will attempt previous suggestions if everything passes and I am back in safe mode.

back to my earlier post have you run a hard drive diagnostic, not chkdsk, see if it is the hard drive you're only gonna make things worse in the long run

Yes, I have avast installed. Why?

I'll bet you 5 bucks it's Avast. Try this; login to safe mode and uninstall Avast. Reboot back into safe mode, confirm Avast in no more, then reboot as regular. You should no longer have a black screen and be able to login. Re-install Avast. Problem should be gone.

I had the same issue you described on 3 separate machines, after system restore roll backs and other troubleshooting, I found it was some how related to a Avast; maybe a recent update.

back to my earlier post have you run a hard drive diagnostic, not chkdsk, see if it is the hard drive you're only gonna make things worse in the long run

That's what I was running. I ran the windows check disk utility. Right click HD -> Properties -> Tools -> Check now. This automatically checks the hard drive upon reboot and will fix any errors if its finds them. Is this not enough?

That's what I was running. I ran the windows check disk utility. Right click HD -> Properties -> Tools -> Check now. This automatically checks the hard drive upon reboot and will fix any errors if its finds them. Is this not enough?

That is a good tool, but I think that user meant to check who makes your hard drive, and then run their tool to check the hard drive for any issues.

Usually the tool made by those companies can find any issues that the tool in the OS might miss.

Chkdsk just checks the file system not the physical state of the hard drive, if you don't know the make of your hard drive or if the manufacturer doesn't have diagnostic software use SeaTools. Its pretty good . When running , under basic tests, select long generic. Depending on the size of the hard drive it can take a few hours to run, but I highly recommend it...

Finally back home after a rigorous day at work, and I happy to report that I am back 100%. Turns out it was an avast! service conflict, and an uninstallation quickly fixed that. Thanks to all that helped, especially those suggesting avast! as the culprit.

Finally back home after a rigorous day at work, and I happy to report that I am back 100%. Turns out it was an avast! service conflict, and an uninstallation quickly fixed that. Thanks to all that helped, especially those suggesting avast! as the culprit.

Instead of Avast! , try out Microsoft Security Essentials.

• Like 1