Photo

Windows will not go to desktop

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 18:51

Running disk chk at the moment. Long process, seems to be taking awhile. On step 5/5. Will attempt previous suggestions if everything passes and I am back in safe mode.

back to my earlier post have you run a hard drive diagnostic, not chkdsk, see if it is the hard drive you're only gonna make things worse in the long run

#32 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 18:58

I thought this was a joke on Windows 8....

#33 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:06

I thought this was a joke on Windows 8....

Nope, just an actual problem someone is having on Windows 7.

#34 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:57

Yes, I have avast installed. Why?

I'll bet you 5 bucks it's Avast. Try this; login to safe mode and uninstall Avast. Reboot back into safe mode, confirm Avast in no more, then reboot as regular. You should no longer have a black screen and be able to login. Re-install Avast. Problem should be gone.

I had the same issue you described on 3 separate machines, after system restore roll backs and other troubleshooting, I found it was some how related to a Avast; maybe a recent update.

#35 OP Umbrello

Umbrello

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:13

back to my earlier post have you run a hard drive diagnostic, not chkdsk, see if it is the hard drive you're only gonna make things worse in the long run

That's what I was running. I ran the windows check disk utility. Right click HD -> Properties -> Tools -> Check now. This automatically checks the hard drive upon reboot and will fix any errors if its finds them. Is this not enough?

#36 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:16

That's what I was running. I ran the windows check disk utility. Right click HD -> Properties -> Tools -> Check now. This automatically checks the hard drive upon reboot and will fix any errors if its finds them. Is this not enough?

That is a good tool, but I think that user meant to check who makes your hard drive, and then run their tool to check the hard drive for any issues.

Usually the tool made by those companies can find any issues that the tool in the OS might miss.

#37 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:35

Chkdsk just checks the file system not the physical state of the hard drive, if you don't know the make of your hard drive or if the manufacturer doesn't have diagnostic software use SeaTools. Its pretty good . When running , under basic tests, select long generic. Depending on the size of the hard drive it can take a few hours to run, but I highly recommend it...

#38 OP Umbrello

Umbrello

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2012 - 17:20

Finally back home after a rigorous day at work, and I happy to report that I am back 100%. Turns out it was an avast! service conflict, and an uninstallation quickly fixed that. Thanks to all that helped, especially those suggesting avast! as the culprit.

#39 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 14 November 2012 - 17:25

Finally back home after a rigorous day at work, and I happy to report that I am back 100%. Turns out it was an avast! service conflict, and an uninstallation quickly fixed that. Thanks to all that helped, especially those suggesting avast! as the culprit.

Instead of Avast! , try out Microsoft Security Essentials.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!