Wireless issues. Please help, I'm out of ideas.

The setup

Cable modem 30mbit/3mbit

Cisco Linksys router WRT160N v3

2 notebook computers

The issue : Wireless speeds (both using wireless and doing speed test from ISP speedtest page)

Notebook(A) can achieve max speed

Notebook(B) often stops in the middle of the test or oscillates between 3mbit and 10mbit (really unstable)

At first I thought it was my channel. I tried them all. Channel 5 gives perfect results on notebook(a) and awful results on notebook(b) which makes no sense at all...

Both notebooks are right beside each other

Both have fresh windows installations without any software doing background transfers

On notebook(a), doing a ping loop on my router gives constant 1ms-5ms

On notebook(a), doing a ping loop on my router while doing the speedtest gives constant 5ms-15ms

On notebook(b), doing a ping loop on my router gives an unstable 10ms-35ms

On notebook(b), doing a ping loop on my router while doing the speedtest gives an unstable 70ms-800ms (huge fluctuations)

I've tried changing the width from 20hz to 40hz.

I've tried all the channels

I've tried Mixed, G-only and N-only

I've tried increasing the TX power (from 71 to 100)

Microwave is off.

Phones aren't in use

Cellphones are in airplane mode

There isn't alot of other wireless signals in my surroundings (3-4 max at a very weak signal strength)

I'm REALLY out of ideas. notebook(b) works GREAT with a wired connection.

Also this recently started occuring. It was working great a couple weeks ago.

If notebook A works fine but B does not, then its likely notebook B which is the problem not the router or the signal, reinstall wireless drivers? Check IP etc is DHCP / try with static IP

Wow I tap myself on the back on this. I just found out that the culprit of all my headaches is BLUETOOTH.

After either disabling the device or removing the ability to devices to connect my PC, the problem vanished.

I now max my bandwidth easily. I wonder how it was affecting my wireless signal. Certainly not "outside" the notebook because notebook(a) was not affected by this. It was messing it up internally.

OH WELL :) Thanks for the replies guys

post-15241-0-26476500-1352771917.png

• Like 1

oh well you solved this! good job. LOL

but for future ref...:

have you tried a USB adapter? also please try redoing the wlan drivers... use something called driver fusion to completely wipe the drivers and then reinstall using the latest ones from the mfr and see if this helps.

Wow I tap myself on the back on this. I just found out that the culprit of all my headaches is BLUETOOTH.

After either disabling the device or removing the ability to devices to connect my PC, the problem vanished.

I now max my bandwidth easily. I wonder how it was affecting my wireless signal. Certainly not "outside" the notebook because notebook(a) was not affected by this. It was messing it up internally.

OH WELL :) Thanks for the replies guys

Well done (Y)