BREAKING: Sinofsky out at Microsoft.

Steven Sinofsky, the Microsoft executive in charge of Windows, has left the company. Julie Larson-Green is to assume control of Windows software and hardware engineering, and CFO Tami Reller will be in charge of the Windows business. The changes are effective immediately, and no reason was given for Sinofsky's departure.

More: http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/12/3638118/steven-sinofsky-leaving-microsoft

Larson Green will continue on with Windows 8 evolution. You can't just simply abandon the changes in Windows 8. Many of them are for the better.

Wow, that's sudden. Wonder what happened?

Windows 8 happened. Apparently Microsoft isn't anywhere near as suicidal as some of Neowin's most vocal Metro apologists would have us believe. Sinofsky blew it big time, and now he's gone.

I'm looking forward to what Windows 9 will be like. Hopefully a major course correction.

• Like 4

Larson Green will continue on with Windows 8 evolution. You can't just simply abandon the changes in Windows 8. Many of them are for the better.

It's much less about new possibilities, but the deprecations that are upsetting most who criticize Microsoft for Windows 8 so much.

Glassed Silver:mac

Wow, that's sudden. Wonder what happened?

He realized Windows 8 is an epic fail and decided to leave before all hell comes down on him.

• Like 3

Judging by Twitter, he wasn't very liked at Microsoft. Also, judging by Ballmer's letter, it was his decision.

Windows 8 happened. Apparently Microsoft isn't anywhere near as suicidal as some of Neowin's most vocal Metro apologists would have us believe. Sinofsky blew it big time, and now he's gone.

I'm looking forward to what Windows 9 will be like. Hopefully a major course correction.

Sorry, but nope. Julie Larson-Green was also one of the folks behind some of the big changes here. She did a lot of work for Office. She was one of the folks that led the way for the Ribbon UI elements. She also is one of the primary people handling design for Windows.

So what you're hoping for and the scenario you are proposing? Not in line with reality.

• Like 2

I don't think Sinofsky liked the way Windows 8 turned out. I don't think he likes the design at all.

Then why didn't he leave before? He set the direction.

• Like 1

Judging by Twitter, he wasn't very liked at Microsoft. Also, judging by Ballmer's letter, it was his decision.

No company's going to come out and slag off their employees in public, but given that Microsoft are the kings of PR speak I'll take what they have had to say at face value. I'd love to know what's really behind this decision.

This is majorly bad news for MS, he was last competent high ranking senior executive. Ballmer must be over the moon that he's secured his job for years as one by one the "thinkers" left.

REDMOND, Wash. ? Nov. 12, 2012 ? Microsoft Corp. today announced that Windows and Windows Live President Steven Sinofsky will be leaving the company and that Julie Larson-Green will be promoted to lead all Windows software and hardware engineering. Tami Reller retains her roles as chief financial officer and chief marketing officer and will assume responsibility for the business of Windows. Both executives will report directly to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

These changes are effective immediately.

?I am grateful for the many years of work that Steven has contributed to the company,? Ballmer said. ?The products and services we have delivered to the market in the past few months mark the launch of a new era at Microsoft. We?ve built an incredible foundation with new releases of Microsoft Office, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Microsoft Surface, Windows Server 2012 and ?Halo 4,? and great integration of services such as Bing, Skype and Xbox across all our products. To continue this success it is imperative that we continue to drive alignment across all Microsoft teams, and have more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings.?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/Press/2012/Nov12/11-12AnnouncementPR.aspx

It's not unusual for people to leave after completing projects. I've done it myself in search of new things. Doesn't mean I think what I've done "sucks".

Something nasty must have happened for him to leave so suddenly like that. Creative differences maybe? Let's face it, Windows 8 is not exactly charming and user friendly. It looks like crap compared to Windows 7.

Something nasty must have happened for him to leave so suddenly like that. Creative differences maybe? Let's face it, Windows 8 is not exactly charming and user friendly. It looks like crap compared to Windows 7.

I've been using it just fine. Loving the new apps and Start Screen. Just the facelift Windows needed. It's brought development back to the platform that consumers can enjoy.