BREAKING: Sinofsky out at Microsoft.

I just received word that Microsoft is hiring Linus Torvalds to head the Windows X project.

and now every piece of hardware no longer works in Windows.

Like I said in the other thread, maybe he busted Panos Panay's chops about the touch cover, and all hell broke loose.

Maybe he just quit in a huff.

then use Windows 7 or Install Linux and help them get to 0.5% userbase. Im sure they would like that.

I do use 7, oh and Linux (Arch, with a standard start/taskbar de) as well. So.. yea already doin that skippy :)

adding touch of course was in mind but MS isn't stupid enough to make a strictly touch OS with such a huge market. There is nothing touch does that you cant do with a mouse. People just love to cry and its sad that a supposed tech site like neowin has so many people that can't grasp something as easy as windows 8.

I use Windows 8 and I'd like to point out that at least on my PC (maybe I missed an option), when in a metro app that scrolls, my mouse will not function like a finger where I can click and drag. I have to use the mouse wheel or scroll bar So I'd say that's something the touch does that Microsoft decided the mouse shouldn't. It's annoying but not a game breaker for me.

I use Windows 8 and I'd like to point out that at least on my PC (maybe I missed an option), when in a metro app that scrolls, my mouse will not function like a finger where I can click and drag. I have to use the mouse wheel or scroll bar So I'd say that's something the touch does that Microsoft decided the mouse shouldn't. It's annoying but not a game breaker for me.

Click and drag takes too much effort compared to scrolling. It would be akin to click and dragging to scroll a webpage. No one wants to do that.

Something nasty must have happened for him to leave so suddenly like that. Creative differences maybe? Let's face it, Windows 8 is not exactly charming and user friendly. It looks like crap compared to Windows 7.

That is your subjective opinion. Not saying 8 is perfectly 10/10, but it isn't crap and useless and whatnot compared to 7

I just received word that Microsoft is hiring Linus Torvalds to head the Windows X project.

oh you!

It's funny how the same people who complained about ribbon and metro are now saying the last visionary has left... And none of this was a one man show, MS has the largest pool of visionaries(whatever you put in that word anyway) of any tech company out there.

As for Ballmer, MS has never been as strong and made as much s under him, they never made as many and as great products under him. It's under him that the visionaries have been allowed to make the Xbox, windows phone, ribbon, metro, surface and soon.

Most likely Sinofskys departure has been planned for months if not half a year, but since they had an internal succession, there was no need to announce it and hire a replacement(MS rarely hire from outside anyway, but raise internally), and he simply stayed on until the release of Win8 and WP8.

As for sinofsky taking over after Ballmer, we k ow Sinofsky is good at his current job, but that's not even remotely the same job as Ballmer, and he likely would not have been good at it, this is something that Ballmer and the board knows best, and they said he isn't no he can't be guaranteed that job. Especially since no one knows what happens 4-5 years forward in time.

Thorott obtained a copy of Sinofsky's email -

Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 6:42 PM

To: Microsoft - All Employees (QBDG)

Subject: RE: Windows Leadership Changes

With the general availability of Windows 8/RT and Surface, I have decided it is time for me to take a step back from my responsibilities at Microsoft. I?ve always advocated using the break between product cycles as an opportunity to reflect and to look ahead, and that applies to me too.

After more than 23 years working on a wide range of Microsoft products, I have decided to leave the company to seek new opportunities that build on these experiences. My passion for building products is as strong as ever and I look forward focusing my energy and creativity along similar lines.

The Windows team, in partnerships across all of Microsoft and our industry, just completed products and services introducing a new era of Windows computing. It is an incredible experience to be part of a generational change in a unique product like Windows, one accomplished with an undeniable elegance. Building on Windows, Surface excels in design and utility for a new era of PCs. With the Store, Internet Explorer, Outlook.com, SkyDrive and more, each of which lead the way, this experience is connected to amazing cloud services.

It is inspiring to think of these efforts making their way into the hands of Microsoft?s next billion customers. We can reflect on this project as a remarkable achievement for each of us and for the team. Our work is not done, such is the world of technology, and so much more is in store for customers.

It is impossible to count the blessings I have received over my years at Microsoft. I am humbled by the professionalism and generosity of everyone I have had the good fortune to work with at this awesome company. I am beyond grateful.

I have always promised myself when the right time came for me to change course, I would be brief, unlike one of my infamous short blog posts, and strive to be less memorable than the products and teams with which I have been proudly and humbly associated. The brevity of this announcement is simply a feature.

Some might notice a bit of chatter speculating about this decision or timing. I can assure you that none could be true as this was a personal and private choice that in no way reflects any speculation or theories one might read?about me, opportunity, the company or its leadership.

As I?ve always believed in making space for new leaders as quickly as possible, this announcement is effective immediately and I will assist however needed with the transition.

I am super excited for what the future holds for the team and Microsoft.

With my deepest appreciation,

Steven Sinofsky

Sent from Surface RT

Source: http://winsupersite....-changes-part-2

He should have waited a little bit.Now its not a good time.

Its like showing no faith to Windows 8 and he quits so he is not there to take the blame.It doesnt look good at all and i am surprised at that move of his,cause i always saw him as a real professional.

Its like showing no faith to Windows 8 and he quits so he is not there to take the blame.It doesnt look good at all and i am surprised at that move of his,cause i always saw him as a real professional.

Actually this is the perfect time to leave,you would have been right had he quit before release. But this is the perfect time to quit and when project leaders like him tend to quit, before they start something new and after they finish what they where working on.this is common info and stock holders know this to.

Him leaving is for the best, it puts a stop to most of the infighting at MS that sources have talked about for years. What Ballmer wants out of the divisions is clear, he says so in his letter, unity and tighter integration, not infighting and overshadowing because you run a bigger division. There's also talk that this should help speed up updates for Windows in general and so on. Sinofsky as good as he is/was also had a hand in holding things back. And when people wonder why some MS service doesn't work well with Windows etc then you only have him to blame it looks like.

I think Ballmer is showing everyone at MS, all the VPs and division heads that if you don't want to work together then GTFO. If someone in charge of a key part of MS can get the boot then no one is safe, and that should always be the case IMO. If you're not worried about your position and losing your job then something is wrong.

Him leaving is for the best, it puts a stop to most of the infighting at MS that sources have talked about for years. What Ballmer wants out of the divisions is clear, he says so in his letter, unity and tighter integration, not infighting and overshadowing because you run a bigger division. There's also talk that this should help speed up updates for Windows in general and so on. Sinofsky as good as he is/was also had a hand in holding things back. And when people wonder why some MS service doesn't work well with Windows etc then you only have him to blame it looks like.

I think Ballmer is showing everyone at MS, all the VPs and division heads that if you don't want to work together then GTFO. If someone in charge of a key part of MS can get the boot then no one is safe, and that should always be the case IMO. If you're not worried about your position and losing your job then something is wrong.

I get what your saying, but this situation has the potential to turn into disaster if all you have is a bunch of "yes men", many successful businesses became successful because people disagreed and wanted to try different things..

Ofcourse you cant go to the other end and have every single decision become a war, but there has to be a balance of harmony and people willing to go against the norm and try something outside the box.

Quite shocking to see he's left so soon after the release of Windows 8/RT. I doubt it was anything to do with the reception or sales as I haven't read anything saying the sale/reception of Windows 8 was poor.

Maybe Ballmer finally sat down with Windows 8 and thought, "Where is the Start Menu?! Sinofsky! YOU'RE FIRED!" :rofl:

I get what your saying, but this situation has the potential to turn into disaster if all you have is a bunch of "yes men", many successful businesses became successful because people disagreed and wanted to try different things..

Ofcourse you cant go to the other end and have every single decision become a war, but there has to be a balance of harmony and people willing to go against the norm and try something outside the box.

I agree with your first part but that wasn't the problem. Yes men isn't the issue at MS it's the different division heads not working together like they should. There's been a number of talk about times the Windows division has stepped on some smaller divisions work for some reason or another, why should that even happen? They should be trying to get all of their stuff to work more tightly together and not stomp out good ideas from smaller, less important groups.

Quite shocking to see he's left so soon after the release of Windows 8/RT. I doubt it was anything to do with the reception or sales as I haven't read anything saying the sale/reception of Windows 8 was poor.

Maybe Ballmer finally sat down with Windows 8 and thought, "Where is the Start Menu?! Sinofsky! YOU'RE FIRED!" :rofl:

Okay I admit that made me chuckle :rofl:

His departure has nothing to do with Windows 8.

It's funny because it could be true :-P

His departure has nothing to do with Windows 8.

Yeah, because everyone knows that Sinofsky was just playing golf at Microsoft, not directing the Windows division....

Yeah, because everyone knows that Sinofsky was just playing golf at Microsoft, not directing the Windows division....

And how does that make his departure related to what he was working on? Do you have a source? Because there are many floating around now to the contrary. I posted one a few replies up that said he wanted Ballmer's spot. Nothing at all to do with what he was working on.