Photo

What I hate about Windows 8 (not start menu related)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:08

^ yep, i do that with a few programs (like the nexus mod manager)

#17 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:15

I have my uac turned off and can run and install metro apps. you might wanna reinstall cuz that sounds like a bug/glitch to me.

You cannot disable UAC in Windows 8. All you did was remove the prompts.

#18 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:40

You cannot disable UAC in Windows 8. All you did was remove the prompts.

Well since I have uninstalled Internet Explorer on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 by deleting the program file. UAC has also been uninstalled. So I think that UAC is tied to IE. So when you remove IE,you also uninstall UAC. But I don't miss UAC,as it is very annoying and so is Smart Screen which I have also turned off.

#19 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:45

How is Andrea still allowed to post here?

#20 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:47

Once in a while I too like to take a dump in my program files and get prompted by the UAC.

#21 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:49

Well since I have uninstalled Internet Explorer on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 by deleting the program file. UAC has also been uninstalled. So I think that UAC is tied to IE. So when you remove IE,you also uninstall UAC. But I don't miss UAC,as it is very annoying and so is Smart Screen which I have also turned off.

Wow.
Just....wow.

#22 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:52

Once in a while I too like to take a dump in my program files and get prompted by the UAC.

I'm confused. What's wrong with wanting to access the Program Files folder in Windows 8 (or Windows in general, for that matter)? As Hitman2000 states he likes to modify his games, and when I was doing that years back there weren't always handy little installation files that did it for you.

#23 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:07

Hi Intrinsica, I recognise you from the other thread about WLE 2011. I see you have been promoted to global moderator, congratulations.

#24 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:13

Computer Configuration (Enabled)

Policies

Windows Settings

Security Settings

Local Policies/Security Options

Accounts

Policy Setting Accounts: Guest account status Disabled
User Account Control

Policy Setting User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account
Enabled
User Account Control: Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop
Enabled
User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode
Elevate without prompting
User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users
Automatically deny elevation requests
User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation
Enabled
User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated
Disabled
User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations
Enabled
User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode
Enabled
User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation
Disabled
User Account Control: Virtualize file and registry write failures to per-user locations Enabled

^ Works for me with no UAC prompts its all right for a home network, If you want to mod games disable inheritance for its directory in program files

#25 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:14

Thanks, Andrea Borman. (Y)

But let's keep this on track. :)

#26 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:27

Okay Intrinsica I will. Back on topic,I have got Windows 8 Pro upgrade install version because it was all I could get. They are not selling Windows 8 as a full install version. My plan is to do an upgrade install from Windows 7.But I will of course install Classic Shell or Start Menu 7 to get the Windows 7 start menu. because I cannot manage with just the Metro start menu.

I like a lot of people find the Metro start menu inadequate for my needs. So I need the traditional Windows start menu. As long as Classic Shell or the other start menu software works on Windows 8 Pro I will keep it. But if not then I will uninstall it and go back to Windows 7.

#27 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:29

Andrea, the version of Windows that you download is a full version. You can use it to do a clean install.

The only thing that requires an existing Windows installation is the upgrade assistant that you download the .iso through.

(let's see if that will sink in.)

#28 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:29

Okay Intrinsica I will. Back on topic,I have got Windows 8 Pro upgrade install version because it was all I could get. They are not selling Windows 8 as a full install version. My plan is to do an upgrade install from Windows 7.But I will of course install Classic Shell or Start Menu 7 to get the Windows 7 start menu. because I cannot manage with just the Metro start menu.

I like a lot of people find the Metro start menu inadequate for my needs. So I need the traditional Windows start menu. As long as Classic Shell or the other start menu software works on Windows 8 Pro I will keep it. But if not then I will uninstall it and go back to Windows 7.

BTW you can just buy an OEM System builder copy if you want a full version. Those copies now have a 'Personal Use' license that is very similar to a retail license.

Also what is inadequate for your needs? The start screen has all of the same functionality of the old start menu, with even more stuff thrown in...

I keep seeing people talk about how it doesn't work...but it works just the same as before...but I digress as you actually managed to go off-topic again...and I got pulled into it.

#29 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:47

Andrea, the version of Windows that you download is a full version. You can use it to do a clean install.

The only thing that requires an existing Windows installation is the upgrade assistant that you download the .iso through.

(let's see if that will sink in.)

Not true...just because there are workarounds and 'hacks' that you can use to force it to activate does not make it a full version. It is an upgrade license, and that has already been proven many times.

Trying to post otherwise doesn't make it true...it's still a fact...upgrade license, not full retail license.

Try using this tool:
http://www.softpedia...oad-220957.html

I would be interested to see your license data (make sure to take out the key or any other sensitive data of course). I think you will find your license data and mine do not match.

Here's mine:

Product Key : [Redacted]
Profile : C:\Windows\System32\spp\tokens\pkeyconfig\pkeyconfig.xrm-ms
Validity : Valid
Product ID : [Redacted]
Advanced ID : [Redacted]
Activation ID : [Redacted]
Edition Type : ProfessionalWMC
Description : Win 8 RTM ProfessionalWMC Retail
Edition ID : X18-15509
Key Type : Retail
EULA : Retail:WAU:48;
Crypto ID : 1810

#30 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:49

No I did not download Windows 8 Pro. I bought my copy of Windows 8 Pro from PC World, which is a big computer store in England. They have a chain of stores across the country and are also part of Currys. But they told me that there isn't a full version of Windows 8 only the upgrade version. But if I there was a full version I would have bought it. As it is easier and less time consuming to just do a clean install. Rather than first having to re-install Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 8. Which is what I will have to do if I want to install Windows 8 Pro on my Windows 8 RP netbook.

And there are some functions missing from the Metro start menu.On the Windows XP and Windows 7 start menu you can access you start menu programs folder by clicking open all user. But there is no way to do this on the Metro start menu,instead you have to know the full path in Windows Explorer. So having Classic Shell or another start menu software on Windows 8 means that we can still have the start button and Windows 7 start menu.

Yes I am a bit worried that Classic Shell and the other start menu software won't work on Windows 8 Pro.Which I have not go round to installing yet so I don't know. So I am still on Windows 8 RP. But from what I read on the web and saw on You Tube,Classic Shell does work on Windows 8 RTM. So it should work on Windows 8 Pro.