Photo

What I hate about Windows 8 (not start menu related)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#46 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:20

You know Andrea, it probably shouldn't at this point, but it never ceases to amaze me the crazy things you do with your Windows installations for no good reason whatsoever. By the by, UAC is not tied to the Internet Explorer web browser at all. Please don't post information like that which is clearly incorrect. Why would you turn off any and all means of protection on your PC? Don't worry, I'm not asking you because I expect you to answer. I don't think I've ever read one of your reply posts where you actually answer the question you were asked.

On a positive note, I notice that you no longer put your full name and the end of your posts. Since your username is your real name, and your signature again displays only your name, you likely realized that it was a bit of overkill.

However, I weep for your poor computers, netbooks, or whatever other hardware you're using at the moment. Of all computers in the world, they are quite likely the most to be pitied.

Well the idea of having a signature is so that we don't have to keep signing out names at the bottom of each post.Because our name is in our signature. So if you have got your name in your signature you don't have to write it again at the bottom of your posts. The signature is a very handy feature and we should use it.

Colin Mcgregor wrote-
Did you remember to install Windows Live Messenger 2012?

No I am not using Windows Live Messenger 2011 version or 2012 version. I am holding out and staying with Windows Live Messenger 2009 version. Which I am still using.

#47 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Lenovo A820

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:36

Well the idea of having a signature is so that we don't have to keep signing out names at the bottom of each post.Because our name is in our signature. So if you have got your name in your signature you don't have to write it again at the bottom of your posts. The signature is a very handy feature and we should use it.

No I am not using Windows Live Messenger 2011 version or 2012 version. I am holding out and staying with Windows Live Messenger 2009 version. Which I am still using.

Wonder what you'll do when WLM is discontinued next year and it all moves over to Skype ;)

#48 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:43

Who said Windows Live Messenger is being discontinued? Well I cannot use Skype it does not work on my netbooks. So if that happens I will just use Google Talk and Aim Messenger, which I have also got. I suppose when support for Windows XP ends in 2014, they may discontinue Windows Live Messenger 2009. But some people are still using older versions of Messenger such as Windows Live Messenger 8.5.

#49 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Titan

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:50

Who said Windows Live Messenger is being discontinued?

http://www.neowin.ne...ssenger-in-2013
http://news.softpedi...pe-305010.shtml

#50 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:59

Yes I just saw that web page.Well so what? I am not using Skype. And I can still use the Windows Live Photo Gallery and Windows Live Movie Maker 2009.There is no expiry date on that. I don't use Windows Live Messenger much anyway. And I don't like Hotmail very much.There is always problems with the website.

#51 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Neowinian Antique

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:04

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#52 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Neowinian Antique

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:14

Well since I have uninstalled Internet Explorer on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 by deleting the program file. UAC has also been uninstalled. So I think that UAC is tied to IE. So when you remove IE,you also uninstall UAC. But I don't miss UAC,as it is very annoying and so is Smart Screen which I have also turned off.

Yeah, I saw that on your video on youtube...I was like WHAT??? Are you kidding me? But since you only let positive posts go through, and you brought it up, all I can say is what is this I don't even....

#53 trek

trek

7 / X

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:17

She should try deleting explorer.exe

#54 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:31

Right, so a machine that had a hard drive with another OS installed. You've always been able to do that with an upgrade key...that's nothing new at all, and I even pointed that out earlier as well...which you ignored in your quest to prove me wrong. :(

The point is on a bare system, a truly bare system, that key will NOT work for activation...which is what I said.

Once again I have someone argue, once again they totally didn't listen to what I said, and once again same outcome I said would happen already. :(

Well you didn't make it very clear. You said you can only do an upgrade install with it, which is wrong.

#55 OP Hitman2000

Hitman2000

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:33

Btw for people wondering how to take ownership of a folder I have attached a registry file.
*note I did not make and take no responsibility for this I also downloaded it off another forum but im not sure we are allowed to link directly.

so essentially this will show the command "Take Ownership" in the context menu then you can fiddle around with the security policies once you have done that.

I don't think reg files are allowed to be posted, so anyway copy this and make a reg file yourself.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"Icon"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\imageres.dll,-78"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"HasLUAShield"=""
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

#56 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:37

Well you didn't make it very clear. You said you can only do an upgrade install with it, which is wrong.

I'm sorry. What part of this wasn't clear: (I'm not asking this as snappy, but for honest feedback)

You can clean install... [snipped] ...the OS if the system already had a prior valid OS installed.

If it's a totally blank empty machine with nothing before 8 installed on it, it will install, but fail to activate unless you do some fun playing around with activation methods.

I already said that you can do exactly what you did if an OS already had a prior valid OS installed...which you did.

I said if it's totally blank with nothing else then it will not work...and you argued.

I felt I was very clear, and that you just felt the need to argue.

Don't feel bad...it happens a lot...and I do mean a lot. For some reason (and this is a life-long issue) people do not like to listen when I say something. That's regardless it is in the form of text, speech, visual communication, etc.

It took until I hit my 30's (and after over a decade of consulting for tech companies and government agencies) before my Dad would listen to what I said to say regarding computers...and he's not exactly tech savvy in certain ways.

#57 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 00:06

She should try deleting Explorer.exe

No don't delete Explorer .exe. That's Windows Explorer and if you do that Windows will not longer work. I have only deleted the Internet Explorer browser, nothing else. But although there are no side effects of removing IE from Windows 7 or Windows 8. You should not try this on Windows XP or Windows Vista. As they depend more on Internet Explorer than Windows 7 and Windows 8 does.

#58 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:00

The only thing I dislike about Windows 8 is the apps. They really suck. I've deleted nearly all of them to go back to my tried and true desktop apps. I know it's early days yet and things will hopefully get better.

#59 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:14

http://www.neowin.ne...ssenger-in-2013
http://news.softpedi...pe-305010.shtml

Yes it seems like it's true. That Microsoft are going to merge Windows Live Messenger with Skype. Not that I will use Skype though.I won't use Skype any more than I would use Windows Live Essentials 2011 version or the even worse 2012 version.

But lets not forget Windows Messenger 4.7 that is bundled with Windows XP. That does not work any more because it is no longer supported. If you try to log into Windows Messenger 4.7,it won't let you log in. Instead you get a message telling you to upgrade to the latest version of Windows Live Messenger. So I have also uninstalled that from my Windows XP. And other Windows users might as well do the same thing,because it does not work. Windows Messenger 4.7 is no longer supported.

#60 nyolc8

nyolc8

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 14 November 2012 - 16:10

No don't delete Explorer .exe. That's Windows Explorer and if you do that Windows will not longer work. I have only deleted the Internet Explorer browser, nothing else. But although there are no side effects of removing IE from Windows 7 or Windows 8. You should not try this on Windows XP or Windows Vista. As they depend more on Internet Explorer than Windows 7 and Windows 8 does.

He was sarcastic ._.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!