wii u nintendo

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:51

For some people, they add to the game once it is complete. Some games use it as a cop-out to add longevity, but some really get creative and make the longevity fun.

Yeah but does it really add to the game if they are system wide instead of in-game. Personally i don't think so.

It's not like the achievements is a new concept. There has been achievement since the day of Sierra games. The points system in Sierra games was an archaic achievements system.

System wide achievements are great but there's 2 sides to the medal. Sometime devs just don't care and add them because they have to and not because they want to. More often than never achievements in 360/Steam games are dumb, easy and/or tedious to get and you feel like they have been slapped in at the last minute because they had to be there.

New achievement unlocked you just killed 10 mobs houuuraayyyyy :| next one you need to kill 6000 0000 00 0 00 0 0 0 0 mobs ... okay ... :|

I think Nintendo should add system wide achievements but i don't think this is a deal beraker.

I doubt trophies/achievements will be reset when the next generation is out. They're already cross-platform. Vita/PS3 , W8/WP8/XBOX. The new consoles will just be another platform you can access your account from.

I hope though we will be able to delete them if we want to next gen. One thing i want added to XBox Live is the ability to delete a game from my games list. Sometime i'm borrowing a game for a weekend, complete 2-3 useless and irrevelant achievements like killing 10 mobs or finishing the first level on normal difficulty and then the game is there in my game list forever and i just don't care about it and would love to remove it.

Anyway i never found a way to remove them maybe there's one i don't know (i cancelled my sub 2 years ago maybe it's possible now).

#17 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 15:07

I hope though we will be able to delete them if we want to next gen. One thing i want added to XBox Live is the ability to delete a game from my games list. Sometime i'm borrowing a game for a weekend, complete 2-3 useless and irrevelant achievements like killing 10 mobs or finishing the first level on normal difficulty and then the game is there in my game list forever and i just don't care about it and would love to remove it.

Anyway i never found a way to remove them maybe there's one i don't know (i cancelled my sub 2 years ago maybe it's possible now).

PS3 had for a very short time to delete a game from the game history if you did not unlock a trophy, however that feature was removed the following system update.
Xbox360 has that ability (as long as not achievements earned) but not sure if that's still true.

My gut tells me Sony/MS will carry over existing account trophies in to the next gen. I think too many gamer's will throw a fit if it didn't copy over.

#18 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 November 2012 - 15:41

Honestly, I love achievements but I don't think system wide achievements are necessary. The whole player score thing isn't something I really get into. But I do really like the challenge achievements such as killing a boss in an interesting way. Those kinds of things can be completely implemented in-game and still be just fine.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 13 November 2012 - 16:43

except if they're implemented in each game, then you end up with the mess that PSN was int he start, a terrible online system without a central plan, structure or idea, making EA and many other companies create their own online systems half outside of PSN instead of one unified system. basically, Nintendo is repeating the mistakes of Sony and PSN, one generation behind(or half a generation in their case), when they should know better.

and then you also get different achievements for each game instead of having a central system, and you have to be in the game to see the achievements.

#20 OP compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:16

And most of the time they end up forcing you to do tedious, repetitive tasks ad nauseum to unlock them. "OMGz I need 2 kill 60,000,000 zombiezz with only mah fistses!!!1111"

No. You choose whether or not you want to actually obtain the acheivement. No one is forced to do anything.

#21 joep1984

joep1984

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:30

I wasn't aware that cheevos were a "mandatory" part of the gaming experience.

#22 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 24 November 2012 - 21:24

right - so, if you have 8000 trophies on the PS3. who cares? what happens when the PS4 comes out? you have zero.

Gonna go out on a limb and assume they will carry over to next-gen PSN / XBL. Vita has trophies as well tied to the same PSN. Even GFWL and the few games that supported those achievements were tied to your XBox Live account.

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:52

I'm not sure about the Wii U anyway, and this makes me sense so.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!