Need a free and easy HTML editor

Question

Hi if anyone has experience with different editors I would like your opinion. For my Boss and his wife especially I created a simple template (html code) where she can modify the text and pictures and then copy and past the code in the admin and have it show up live on the website.

What I need for them in the editor is the following:

#1 Free

#2 Does not install just runs from the executable. If not available then installation is fine.

#3 I need for it to be WYSIWYG and work let's say like MS Word. Then when she is finished she can switch easily to HTML view and just copy and paste that code in the admin and click submit.

#4 Keep a copy of the template if possible in the program so she can always go to it and modify it each time.

That is basically all they need. I do not think I am asking much. I have searched all over Google but wanted to post here and get feedback. This template is not even a whole page it is a table with some rows and the bullet points, pictures and description.

Thanks for the help

17 answers to this question

Sounds like a CMS would work best for this. Wordpress is easy enough to set up on the server side, build in the template, and then let whomever modify.

If this is something really, really simple... many desktop applications can modify html files. Word can, for example.

I'm not sure there's a good WYSIWYG free html editor.

For a good free html editor without WYSIWYG my vote goes to Aptana Studio.

But for what you need like others said a CMS would probably be better.

There aren't many good WYSIWIG editors out there anymore. Even DreamWeaver usually fails at displaying things properly.

The best free one I've ever used was Nvu, made by Mozilla and discontinued in 2005. Someone resurrected it (open source) as KompoZer which looks pretty okay. Completely free and probably your best bet by far:

http://www.kompozer.net

The last stable release was in 2007 but it contains a lot of bugfixes over Nvu so I'd just try it out.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

He wants a WYSIWYG editor. But yeah, I would've suggested Notepad++ otherwise.

My bad, that'll learn me for speed-reading (or speed missing paragraphs out).

Thanks guys for the feedback. A CMS would be good but with our system is a no go that is why I need a windows program. Does Komposer just run or do I need to install? That web based editor looks interesting.

Thank you

Thanks guys for the feedback. A CMS would be good but with our system is a no go that is why I need a windows program. Does Komposer just run or do I need to install?

KompoZer has both an installer and a ZIP package that works when extracted (and you just run the .exe) :)

Hey Komposer is great. I just ran it with no install and I placed the code I made and it works. She should find it easy to use.

Thanks again..

If you can setup Wordpress (or other out-of-the-box solutions) then you can use Windows Live Writer to add content. It's just like Word

If you like word that much and find it teh easiest why not make it in word lol, just save it as html ^^

This... just help your boss cleanup the HTML after that if you find any problems.