Photo

Leaving IT... for something much better.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

• 843 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 16:02

You know what, if you CAN do it, you WANT to do it, DO IT!!! I have a good life, but I still, to this day, regret not attending college (I was accepted, just decided not to) as a biochemistry major right out of high school... instead I decided to start a low-level job and to buy a car. Now, over time that paid off because my company paid for all kinds of education, and I became a software engineer... but I still love biochemistry, biology, science in general and am an amateur wanna-be in all sorts of things.

#17 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,111 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 16:02

We need more people like you, i know so many who have settled for second best with their work just because they can't be bothered to make a change. It's so much easier to stay where you are, so congratulations on taking a risk.

#18 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,711 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 14 November 2012 - 16:06

Great idea and kudos to you for just going and doing it. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you :)

IT is one of the most dull, soul crushing things... I've got a lot of respect for anyone that manages to get out of it!

#19 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 14 November 2012 - 16:06

I'm in a similar situation, if sou want to have a chat about it, PM me and we can chat there or in a messenger or something.

It's good to hear another person is in such a situation.
I know it made and still makes me sick feeling lost in what I do right now, even though it's just college, but in principle, everything applies to me as well. :)

Art for me by the way. :)

Glassed Silver:ios

Man everyone is restructuring themselves... may as well thinking about that too then...

#20 OP +giantsnyy

giantsnyy

Neowinian

• 1,064 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 23:11

Thanks everyone! I'm so happy that I've had very little negative reaction to this. Even my coworkers are happy for me including my HR director... in fact she's trying to help me get settled in the right school for pre-med.

#21 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:20

Thanks everyone! I'm so happy that I've had very little negative reaction to this. Even my coworkers are happy for me including my HR director... in fact she's trying to help me get settled in the right school for pre-med.

Sounds like...

Bad employment reference incoming...! :laugh:

:p

Glassed Silver:mac

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:22

I think it's an excellent idea. Always follow your heart.

#23 Mr.ed

Mr.ed

Neowinian

• 287 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:31

I also work in IT, and used to agree that it's a thankless job. You see, I worked in a bank, so everything WAS nickels and dimes... But you know what? Last December I moved from the banking industry to the healthcare industry (system and network administration for a dialysis company, 20 facilities), and my mind was blown. I continue in IT, but its no longer a thankless job. I get to see how my work makes a difference in peoples lives. Maybe im not shown appreciation every day, but man, the satisfaction is there. Healthcare is generally awesome, even more if your company does charitable work (which mine does).

Now you will get to appreciate both sides (to the OP).

My advice? Never fear change, as change is always good, and good things come for those who seek it.

And, Glassed, my firend, do not fear. Those are stages in life... and you are awesome enough to surpass that, as you always handle things so well around here. I should say, consider that a gift. And if it's art, art it is! (I come from a family of artists, singers, painters, musicians, sculptors; and I went into IT, masochist maybe, lol).

I'm in a similar situation, if sou want to have a chat about it, PM me and we can chat there or in a messenger or something.

It's good to hear another person is in such a situation.
I know it made and still makes me sick feeling lost in what I do right now, even though it's just college, but in principle, everything applies to me as well. :)

Art for me by the way. :)

Glassed Silver:ios

Mr.Ed

#24 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,583 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:33

Sorry to hear about your old job but it sounds like things happened for the best.. The IT field isn't bad, but there are some bad work environments.

#25 devBrian

devBrian

Neowinian Senior

• 2,148 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:37

My "IT" (web development) job is going well enough that I can take the time to learn game engine development. I'll be going into the field that I want to be in, while still doing what I need to survive. If I could go to college for something, I don't know if I would change my field, honestly. Maybe archaeology or paleo, but those are hard to get into.

#26 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:42

I also work in IT, and used to agree that it's a thankless job. You see, I worked in a bank, so everything WAS nickels and dimes... But you know what? Last December I moved from the banking industry to the healthcare industry (system and network administration for a dialysis company, 20 facilities), and my mind was blown. I continue in IT, but its no longer a thankless job. I get to see how my work makes a difference in peoples lives. Maybe im not shown appreciation every day, but man, the satisfaction is there. Healthcare is generally awesome, even more if your company does charitable work (which mine does).

Now you will get to appreciate both sides (to the OP).

My advice? Never fear change, as change is always good, and good things come for those who seek it.

And, Glassed, my firend, do not fear. Those are stages in life... and you are awesome enough to surpass that, as you always handle things so well around here. I should say, consider that a gift. And if it's art, art it is! (I come from a family of artists, singers, painters, musicians, sculptors; and I went into IT, masochist maybe, lol).

Mr.Ed

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Neowin really boosts my decision.

I hope the art college will think I'm fitting their way of art well enough.
Next week on Wednesday they have an introductory course on creating your sample work for your application.
I'm pumped and a little fearful.

My parents wouldn't understand last time already, I hope that this time things are easier, I have yet to tell them my decision and I'm holding back as long as I can to not get downed so quick and concentrate on MY LIFE and not THEIR FEARS which they really pressure me with.

I've switched my college courses once before already.
(from Religion and English to Information Technologies... *sigh*)

I just don't fit the "regular" studies and subjects.
I'm creative and playful.
I'm keen on doing photography or designing things.

I also find that I usually get along with people of "my kind" way better.
My best friend is an artist, we're getting along nicely and I do with many more artists.
With tech people in my courses it's so... "Oh yeah"ish...

I just don't fit.

Time to move on, appreciate change and hope for the best.
It's just I'm very fearful I won't get accepted and that there will be tons of drama. :laugh:

Glassed Silver:mac

#27 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,884 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:06

If you're bored and want a change then go for it. You only live once and won't get to replay your life. If you don't fancy spending the next 30 years in IT then it's time to move on to something else. Most people these days don't have "one career" but several through their working life.

#28 OP +giantsnyy

giantsnyy

Neowinian

• 1,064 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:17

Hey man honestly I haven't even started yet and my whole attitude towards life itself has improved. Just knowing I'll be doing something I love, even if people don't approve of it is enough for me to be happier than i have ever been. I've switched majors several times... and each time it was into something that I didn't want... first it was computer science, then business management, then marketing, then network infrastructure. I know that this time, I have to start from scratch. I'll be spending the next 11 years in school... but the end result will make me a very happy person. Do what you feel is right... no matter what anyone says. It is YOUR life after all.