Photo

Sony issuing lifetime PSN bans to PS3 hackers

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:42

I still don't understand how modding firmware opens the door to cheaters. Unless they can reverse engineer the code on the disk, recompile, resign and run then it won't happen on consoles- and that only loosely has a connection to modded firmware as the "cheat" disk would be burned rather than pressed.

Um, with modded firmware you don't need to resign anything, I remember playing on modded MW2 servers hosted on Xbox consoles.

With JTAG Xbox and CFW PS3 firmware you could potentially hack the game and play it without having to burn to a disc, but Microsoft cracks down swift and hard against JTAG modded Xboxes to try and combat it for this exact reason, they don't want cheaters and glitchers ruining Xbox Live.

#17 saltysaltybk

saltysaltybk

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:45

jtags cannot connect to XBL, nor RGH- well they can but are booted off.

Anyway, its a moot point. Modding firmware does not imply cheating.

#18 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:49

Exactly, Microsoft crack down on it to stop people modding/cheating games.

I already said it doesn't imply cheating but they are banned from the respective online services as a precaution against such use.

I get it, you think modding firmware is great, good for you, you don't have to keep trying to justify the reasons you use it for.

#19 saltysaltybk

saltysaltybk

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:54

I'm not justifying anything- so there's no need to read something in to the posts that isn't there.

They're banned for using non-MS firmware, not because they can cheat. If you look up the T&Cs, there's nothing there about cheating:

We may, among other things: (i) restrict or limit access to the Services; (ii) retrieve information from the Authorized Device and any connected peripheral device used to log onto the Services as necessary to operate and protect the security of the Services, and to enforce this Agreement; and (iii) upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Services, or any hardware or software associated with the Services or with an Authorized Device, from time to time without notice. We may do so by the automatic download of related software directly to your Authorized Device, including software that prevents you from accessing the Services, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices

#20 forster

forster

Brutally Honest™

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:54

Anyone who connects a modded system to an official, internet-based store or service deserves to be banned.

#21 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:56

Why are you so vehemently defending it then. Obviously they are banning it to stop people pirating as I already said a page ago. But one of the byproducts of being able to run unsigned code is being able to mod games to cheat, it happened with Xbox 1 and Xbox 360.

#22 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 14 November 2012 - 15:10

If your stupid enough to go online with a modded console you deserve to have your account banned.

#23 saltysaltybk

saltysaltybk

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 15:20

Why are you so vehemently defending it then. Obviously they are banning it to stop people pirating as I already said a page ago. But one of the byproducts of being able to run unsigned code is being able to mod games to cheat, it happened with Xbox 1 and Xbox 360.

Again, no one is defending anything. There is a huge leap of faith to believe that someone running a modded firmware is cheating. If you use RGH or JTAG, you will get immediately banned (and I don't think you can go online to XBL with FSD anyway). The chances of playing in a modded lobby nowaways is tiny, if at all.

#24 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 14 November 2012 - 15:33

The simple fact is there is no way to efficiently monitor a whole load of "we'll promise to be good" custom firmware users - Everyone is simply lumped into the assumption of if you use custom firmware and connect to our network alongside legit firmware owners you may cause damage to us (us being Sony) or them (that being us legit FW users).

I think these days everyone with a reasonable thinking brain understands that if they want to modify their console, they're giving up the ability to use proprietary servers they do not own. If you use workarounds or non-standard ways to connect, again, that is your risk and as it cannot be monitored efficiently you have no real ground for complaints if you get shut off.

I fully agree that no police or any other person should come chapping on your door if you modify a piece of hardware you bought (unless you turn it into a nuke), but connecting to a server that you do not own is a completely different ball game. Strict network T&C are there to try and make sure everyone has the same experience (country by country laws taken into account), if you do not agree you have to find another service.

#25 shinji257

shinji257

Linux Guru

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:53

I think this is the second wave of this that I'm aware of. I'm not sure but I don't think much came of the first wave and was simply a scare tactic. Unless someone comes forward and shows that they have actually been banned from PSN then I think this is more of the same.

#26 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:00

I'm not justifying anything- so there's no need to read something in to the posts that isn't there.

They're banned for using non-MS firmware, not because they can cheat. If you look up the T&Cs, there's nothing there about cheating:

We may, among other things: (i) restrict or limit access to the Services; (ii) retrieve information from the Authorized Device and any connected peripheral device used to log onto the Services as necessary to operate and protect the security of the Services, and to enforce this Agreement; and (iii) upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Services, or any hardware or software associated with the Services or with an Authorized Device, from time to time without notice. We may do so by the automatic download of related software directly to your Authorized Device, including software that prevents you from accessing the Services, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices

Terms of Use, not T&C.

Also there is very clear language as regards cheating. It is not allowed, and IS considered a serious offense.

#27 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:13

The simple fact is there is no way to efficiently monitor a whole load of "we'll promise to be good" custom firmware users

this is the problem right here. Sony and MS need to find a better way to do this

if something as simple as a minecraft server can be setup to detect mods used for cheating and kick/ban the player I don't see why it can't be done on a larger scale with PS3 and Xbox games

the fact is, Sony and MS seem to be taking the lazy way out instead of finding a better and more permanent solution to the problem

just because you mod your firmware doesn't mean you should be auto banned because you "could possibly cheat" or "play pirated games". there should be a way to detect those things, and then at THAT point the account and console is banned

#28 saltysaltybk

saltysaltybk

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:18

Terms of Use, not T&C.

Also there is very clear language as regards cheating. It is not allowed, and IS considered a serious offense.

Nope, nothing in here about cheating: http://www.xbox.com/...B/legal/livetou

Oh, and an "offence" implies legality.

#29 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:23

this is the problem right here. Sony and MS need to find a better way to do this

What, like gain omniscience?

#30 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:23

Nope, nothing in here about cheating: http://www.xbox.com/...B/legal/livetou

Oh, and an "offence" implies legality.

The Code of Conduct is also part of the Terms of Use.

http://www.xbox.com/...l/CodeOfConduct

I helped write it...so I know precisely what is in there.

Arguing with me on what I wrote won't get you very far. :p

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!