Photo

More women drivers than men on U.S. roads

transportation research institute purchase more fuel-efficient cars internet contact

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,569 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 18:45

I think more women, than men, are yacking on the cell phones too, while driving.

Hmm, I don't know. The last three or four times I saw someone on a phone while driving, they were all men. One of them nearly hit me >.< I HATE people talking/texting and driving. As if 99.9% of those conversations are ever so important they can't wait for the person to pull over or get to their destination first.

#17 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:43

Hmm, I don't know. The last three or four times I saw someone on a phone while driving, they were all men. One of them nearly hit me >.< I HATE people talking/texting and driving. As if 99.9% of those conversations are ever so important they can't wait for the person to pull over or get to their destination first.

When I get to know the person I'm texting with is driving I stop sending messages.
Had to do this once, I hope the rest of my friends don't need this teaching lesson. :p

Glassed Silver:mac

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:27

You are clearly mistaken. Us guys do not do that. :p

#19 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:20

You are clearly mistaken. Us guys do not do that. :p

They were probably just ugly women ;)

#20 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,384 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:25

It certainly is a factor that didn't exactly push me to getting a license.

I have yet to get a license and let's not talk about owning a car here. :laugh:

Glassed Silver:mac

It's expensive in Germany?

#21 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,490 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:51

When my mom has a work call she pulls over to the shoulder and takes the call instead of it being a risk...

#22 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:59

Thats why accidents are increasing every year!!!

We (men) are too afraid to get on the road with them. :p

2012 and people still type this crap. Evolution my ass.......

#23 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,490 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:26

I really think more people need to use apps like Inrix Traffic and report more accidents and traffic problems to make it more accurate for everyone and we can get more data by doing this.

Florida Cities in general have a lot of older people driving to worry about, however the zombie apocalypse down there prolly cut into the Inrix Traffic rankings... LOL.... they are eating the older drivers. Next they will move on to the other annoying drivers. :)

Also may be lower becuase people might be too afraid to drive down there...

#24 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:27

Ouch! Please tell us!

Back in the day I used to work for a nursing agency doing home care. I was on my way to work that morning and had been in front of a car for three blocks before attempting to make a left at an intersection. 4 way no lights. because there was lots of traffic in both directions on this two lane road I was opting to use the full width of the lane to my advantage in timing the passing traffic to avoid sitting for too long. I put on my left blinker, slowed down, and moved right to roll left in the break. As I was rolling left I got hit on the left side. Yeah I did go wide on the right due to the timing thing. Motorcycles have the full use of the lane, and it is illegal to occupy the same space with the motorcycle. It was an old man and his wife in the car at the time. The man appeared to me to have Parkinson's by his movements and speech patterns. I'd seen enough patient's to recognize it. It was small claims and it was a draw.

I had just picked up my bike from the shop and was headed to nursing school when I was cut off on the highway by a driver causing me to hit the back of her car and do the superman over it. Well above it. I had been going 50-55 in a 45 when she cut me off going approx. 25. She entered the highway from a side road on to an unapproved lane and moved left. I was on the inside lane next to the rail. She didn't stop merging over and was entering my lane. I tried to move left but didn't want to get crushed so I moved right and hit the middle of her rear bumper severely denting the bumper sending me flying up over the roof. Realize we were still moving on the highway so I was in the air over her car but had momentum sending me to the right lane. I rolled on the ground for a distance. When I stopped rolling I looked to see where the car was. She had driven about 60 yards and stopped. The driver's door opened and I saw a woman getting out, a man was getting out of the passengers door. I was taken to the hospital without much questioning from the officers. On the police report was the man was driving. Turns out the woman did not have a license and was not medically fit to drive. So it couldn't have been her. The police stated that it was a man in the driver's seat when they arrived. I still got 80% from their insurance without going to court.

So I got a new motorcycle when I recovered. Well almost new. I actually got four times what I paid for the one in the accident.

#25 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,490 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 22:12

Ouch that sux :(

#26 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:47

When my mom has a work call she pulls over to the shoulder and takes the call instead of it being a risk...

My wife does that even when I'm driving. :D

#27 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,490 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:24

My wife does that even when I'm driving. :D

LOL

#28 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

• 10,729 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:31

It's expensive in Germany?

Damn yeah...
To get a license you have to take mandatory driving lessons with the driving school covering all common driving scenarios.

A license will set you back about €1100 which is about US$1400. :/

Glassed Silver:ios

#29 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,384 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:06

Damn yeah...
To get a license you have to take mandatory driving lessons with the driving school covering all common driving scenarios.

A license will set you back about €1100 which is about US$1400. :/

I bet driving is more expensive in the UK :/

#30 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

• 10,729 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:35

I bet driving is more expensive in the UK :/

I don't know, but gas certainly is. :)