gnu elementary os luna beta download

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 November 2012 - 21:58

Why a dock... why... if they're going to pick stuff from OSX, why pick the most useless and worst task switcher invented, when there's some actual good things to take from it.

This is the same distro where the devs where spamming these forums and never actually got around to a working release before ?

Maybe you're thinking about Shift? They didn't really spam the forums as they are members from here though. I don't recall Elementary devs spamming the board.

As for my thoughts on the OS. I did get to install it on VirtualBox on my Ubuntu 12.10 machine and first I must say, this is the first machine I've had that fully supported VT and I'm impressed with that alone. I know, I'm way behind, shut up, haha.

The OS seems very clean and simple. Almost too clean and simple really, but I think that's a good thing as well. I don't have any issue with docks, but then I'm an OS X user for most of my home computing. I do have a problem with the fact that the dock seems a tad bit buggy. I found it staying on top of windows and blocking me at times, but I suppose all of these bugs can be ironed out. I do get the feel that it would be much easier to hand to say, my dad, and he'd be able to use it pretty easily. I couldn't get it to take my Gmail account in the mail client, and it seems like it only supports Yahoo otherwise. I linked up a Yahoo account with no trouble though. I haven't gotten to put more than about 30 minutes on it though, so I'll probably play with it a little more and see what I think in the longer term. Seems like a great start to a good novice Linux though.

#17 simrat

simrat

pooonjabi!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5 (stock)

Posted 14 November 2012 - 22:00

Downloading, gonna try it in VM, screenshots looks beautiful! It sure is most beautiful Linux distro. (Y)

#18 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 14 November 2012 - 23:51

So I've gotten it installed in VMWare and am setting it up to use as my new build environment for CM10 on my Nook Color. OMG this is gorgeous compared to stock Ubuntu. I love it!

Also, in response to the guy complaining about using a dock for an app launcher: how is a dock any different from the sidebar in unity? They function pretty much the same, the only difference is the appearance and the location.

#19 OP Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:13

So I've gotten it installed in VMWare and am setting it up to use as my new build environment for CM10 on my Nook Color. OMG this is gorgeous compared to stock Ubuntu. I love it!

Also, in response to the guy complaining about using a dock for an app launcher: how is a dock any different from the sidebar in unity? They function pretty much the same, the only difference is the appearance and the location.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess he's not the biggest fan of the sidebar either... :p

Glassed Silver:mac

#20 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:35

It is definitely gorgeous and seems worth the wait.

#21 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:44

anyone have any problems getting this to work with broadcom wifi? Before I go all out and try to get this working, I'd kinda like to know before I erase my existing USB Linux install, so if anyone wants to let me know, that would be awesome! (please?)

#22 OP Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:53

anyone have any problems getting this to work with broadcom wifi? Before I go all out and try to get this working, I'd kinda like to know before I erase my existing USB Linux install, so if anyone wants to let me know, that would be awesome! (please?)

Well, 0.1 (Jupiter) played along nicely on my EeePC 1000H which has a Broadcom chip if I'm not mistaken.
It's based on Ubuntu, so it should be pretty much driver compatible.

Maybe google your chipset and add ubuntu to it and see what it returns? :)

Glassed Silver:mac

#23 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:11

Why a dock... why... if they're going to pick stuff from OSX, why pick the most useless and worst task switcher invented, when there's some actual good things to take from it.

This is the same distro where the devs where spamming these forums and never actually got around to a working release before ?

I've never seen elementary os devs on these forums at all, and definitely not spamming then. I think you are confusing them with something else... In addition this is the second release of elementary os, they've had a working release for quite some time.

And personally, docks are my favorite type of launcher. I like unity's launcher, elementary os's dock, win 7 superbar, osx's dock. I much prefer them to the old school window list.

Its really a matter of whether you like application centric or document centric, its subjective. Just because its not your preference doesn't mean its the "worst thing ever invented". In addition, osx was not the first os to use a dock, and having a dock doesn't mean you are "stealing it from osx".

#24 devBrian

devBrian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:12

Well... the icons are cute.

Was that a joke?

#25 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:39

I've spent some time with it in VirtualBox. It's crazy good. These guys understand simplicity. It's not butchering options (GNOME) or hiding stuff (Ubuntu). It's also very speedy, at least for VirtualBox.

Just wish they didn't take literally every visual cue from Apple.

#26 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:45

Was that a joke?

No, they are cute.

#27 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 19:22

So, I dl'd this. Had to use nomodeset to load the desktop. However the desktop only partially loaded, then just stopped. Cursor moved fine, but it was a blank desktop. Had to do a hard shutdown, which really ****es me off to have to do. Anyways, loaded into Fedora, instead of Win8. Tried to make the LiveUSB from there. Fedora was a bit ****y over the image and refused to make the LiveUSB. Installed UnetBootin under Fedora, made the LiveUSB. Restarted the system. Had to use nomodeset again to try and load the desktop. Desktop loads with a blank screen and a the cursor as before. Leave it running, go out and bring in more wood and chop some kindling. Came back in about an hour later and still nothing.

Re-dl'd the ISO in Fedora this time. Thinking it might be a bad dl. Same thing all over again.

All in all a no go system. So no thanx.

#28 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 November 2012 - 19:36

So, I dl'd this. Had to use nomodeset to load the desktop. However the desktop only partially loaded, then just stopped. Cursor moved fine, but it was a blank desktop. Had to do a hard shutdown, which really ****es me off to have to do. Anyways, loaded into Fedora, instead of Win8. Tried to make the LiveUSB from there. Fedora was a bit ****y over the image and refused to make the LiveUSB. Installed UnetBootin under Fedora, made the LiveUSB. Restarted the system. Had to use nomodeset again to try and load the desktop. Desktop loads with a blank screen and a the cursor as before. Leave it running, go out and bring in more wood and chop some kindling. Came back in about an hour later and still nothing.

Re-dl'd the ISO in Fedora this time. Thinking it might be a bad dl. Same thing all over again.

All in all a no go system. So no thanx.

its based on ubuntu 12.04 lts, which has older video drivers than fedora 17. I get the feeling 12.04 doesn't have drivers up to date enough for your system, which is why you needed to use nomodeset to boot.

#29 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 November 2012 - 19:43

Looks to me like a poor crossover between Windows and OSX theming that doesn't quite manage to do either all that nicely. Still better than Unity though :laugh:

#30 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 20:22

its based on ubuntu 12.04 lts, which has older video drivers then fedora 17. I get the feeling 12.04 doesn't have drivers up to date enough for your system, which is why you needed to use nomodeset to boot.

Exactly the case. Mint 14 RC loaded excellent. But I think I will stay with Fedora.