• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 November 2012 - 15:32

So anyone know how to set this up working in VMWare player ? I tried the basic Ubuntu setup and it installed fine but after that it doesn't seem to boot, I just get the black screen, with the barely visible elementary e in the background.

#32 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:08

No one ?

#33 UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:35

I know this doesn't answer your question, but why not just install it alongside your current os and dual-boot? I always heep a 50 gig partition at the ready for ocasions like this.

#34 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:46

Why would I want to do that, then I can't use Windows which I actually use for improtant stuff and gaming, while I play around with Elementary and check if it's a OS I can install on my other laptop. when a virtual machine allows me to use my windows and test out the OS.

Last time I used dual boot I was in school and then I realized there was no point with linux then because I never used it because I always had to use windows regularly, and rebooting constantly is a pain and stupid.

Also the elementary chat must be the most useless place ever, almost as useless as their forum, which is more useless because it doesn't exist.

#35 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:08

just installed it in a VM and looked around a little

all they're really done is make it look even more like OSX in most areas

at this rate I can see them getting into some trouble

nah. There was distros that look identical to XP back in the days they didn't get in trouble. That's like suing a kid on the street for singing a song. He's not profiting and no one is listening so who cares.

#36 fehu

fehu

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:24

I don't like the dock and the heavy osx inspiration, but it's the cleanest linux distribution that I've seen so far

#37 UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:26

Why would I want to do that, then I can't use Windows which I actually use for improtant stuff and gaming, while I play around with Elementary and check if it's a OS I can install on my other laptop. when a virtual machine allows me to use my windows and test out the OS.

Last time I used dual boot I was in school and then I realized there was no point with linux then because I never used it because I always had to use windows regularly, and rebooting constantly is a pain and stupid.

To each his own. We all have our opinions and choices. I personally have not needed Windows in years. The only time i use Windows is when I'm forced to at work. Perhaps for gamers like you, Windows makes sense. But everything I need to do on a PC can be done with Linux. And I get a truer experience in an installed OS rtather than a virtual OS.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. GOOD LUCK!

#38 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:29

I also need a proper office suite, lightroom, photoshop, and I want my 3DSMAX and so on, running linux as a main OS is just not an option on my main computers.

#39 UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:33

I also need a proper office suite, lightroom, photoshop, and I want my 3DSMAX and so on, running linux as a main OS is just not an option on my main computers.

Gaming, photoshop and other Windows-specific apps, then you need Windows. I get that. But for office work, LibreOffice is fully compatible with Microsoft Office/Word. I've created resumes and other documents that open in Microsoft Office just like they were created ther. Office apps are no longer an issue for Linux, at least in my experience.

#40 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:39

Eh. no, while you "can" work fine in Open/Libre office, it's certainly no replacement for Office.

#41 UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:44

Eh. no, while you "can" work fine in Open/Libre office, it's certainly no replacement for Office.

LibreOffice works as well for me. Particularly the LibreOffice Writer. Never an issue when a document was "required" to be in the Microsoft Word format.

#42 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 November 2012 - 16:13

You're right, its not. But it is pretty powerful for a free program, and many people that use office don't even use most of its extra features.

#43 Innuendo

Innuendo

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 16:14

nah. There was distros that look identical to XP back in the days they didn't get in trouble. That's like suing a kid on the street for singing a song. He's not profiting and no one is listening so who cares.

Tell this to all the Windows freeware dock authors who got cease-and-desists from Apple. Anybody remember Y'z Dock?

#44 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 18 November 2012 - 16:27

yeah but this is Apple we're talking about, they don't seem to like anything that looks even remotely similar

#45 OP Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 16:34

LibreOffice works as well for me. Particularly the LibreOffice Writer. Never an issue when a document was "required" to be in the Microsoft Word format.

It's mostly opening documents created with MS Office in OOo/LO or other alternative products, especially Excel documents tend to mess up easily.

Glassed Silver:mac

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!