gnu elementary os luna beta download

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#46 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 November 2012 - 16:49

Eh. no, while you "can" work fine in Open/Libre office, it's certainly no replacement for Office.

It's mostly opening documents created with MS Office in OOo/LO or other alternative products, especially Excel documents tend to mess up easily.

Glassed Silver:mac

I'm curious, aside from what Glassed Silver mentioned, what issues do you have with OOo or Libre? I use Libre every single day at work, more than most people, mostly in Calc (Excel), and I can't say I can recall having a single issue. I believe that it does have quirks, but aside from learning a new UI, I think Libre Office is pretty damn capable. Can't really ever think of a time when I've said "Damn, I wish I just had Office!". I mean this as an honest question because a few years ago I would have definitely agreed, but these days Libre seems to be a decent alternative. A lot of really big companies rely on Libre.

#47 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:11

Productivity is no near the standards set by Office. that's the main issue. I can do everything far faster with Office and with far better and more immediate feedback when formatting and checking things.

If you just need to write a simple document sure. But for actual work and productivity, sorry, it doesn't cut it.

#48 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:23

You said faster with Office? Didn't you have to learn Office before you can be swift with it? Same for OOo/LO

#49 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:35

learnign or not, Office is a faster and more productively efficient suite than OOo/Libre

#50 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:47

Care to explain? What can't you do with LO that you can with Office?

#51 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:48

Never said there wasn't anything you can't do.

Just that office is faster and more productive.

#52 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:50

may give this a try (wish it was a live distro tho :/)

There is an option to test it without installing.

#53 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 18 November 2012 - 18:11

So anyone know how to set this up working in VMWare player ? I tried the basic Ubuntu setup and it installed fine but after that it doesn't seem to boot, I just get the black screen, with the barely visible elementary e in the background.

I set it up in VMWare player using the default Ubuntu settings except with 1.5GB RAM.
When I got that same screen, I simply reset the VM, and it came up just fine.

#54 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 18:14

If you've been following their journals you know the team behind Elementary have created what I think is the best manifest for a linux desktop. Definitively the best news in the entire years for the linux world for me.

#55 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 18:20

People forget simplicity. About the Office Suite debate: A set of tools or a GUI does not define the level of productivity. After all the most important and basic component in a word processor is the ability to type words, to spellcheck them and print them.

#56 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 18:29

Cheers, downloading now. Will be interesting to see if it will run on Hyper-V (current track record for non-Mint/Server *buntu is not great).

#57 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 November 2012 - 20:50

Been using it for a while on my spare laptop now. Pantheon is quite stable, and a pleasure to use, but the default elementary apps still need a *lot* of work. They are all quite crash happy and missing features still. If they can wrangle the apps into shape this will be a very nice distro.

#58 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 20:54

Runs terrible under Hyper-V 2012. 20-30 second delays on Hyper-V remote connection and took over 2hrs to install.
By comparison, Ubuntu 12.10 took 20mins to install, 2-3 second delays on Hyper-V remote connection, default settings.

#59 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 November 2012 - 20:58

Productivity is no near the standards set by Office. that's the main issue. I can do everything far faster with Office and with far better and more immediate feedback when formatting and checking things.

If you just need to write a simple document sure. But for actual work and productivity, sorry, it doesn't cut it.

Well, I dunno what you consider actual work and productivity, but I hope what I use it for at work qualifies. Never seemed to have an issue myself, that's why I was curious. There's only so many buttons I press in a office application regularly, and all of them seem to be there and easy to use. I think past that it's just familiarity. I haven't used Office in years and haven't really missed it. I'm more used to the LO interface now, so I'd probably think the opposite of you if I used Office 2013 or something.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!