overheating laptop video card

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:08

Hey people, another question: which thermal padte should I buy?
I've heard that Artic Silver 5 is excellent, though I am open to any alternatives

#17 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:19

Arctic Silver is probably the best you can get.

By the way, if you use MPC-HC, try Haali as a renderer instead of the default EVR. Haali looks better (in my opinion) and uses way less resources. It doesn't use DXVA but is at least as efficient. You can get it here: http://haali.su/mkv/...skaSplitter.exe - in the setup make sure to uncheck "disable MPC-HC's internal splitter". You don't actually need the Haali splitter, just the renderer that comes with the setup. Also avoid the setting that makes Windows Media Player the default for MKV's. After the install is done, check the MPC-HC Settings for Output and set it to Haali renderer. Restart MPC-HC and you'll see what I mean :)

#18 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 22:56

Arctic Silver is probably the best you can get.

By the way, if you use MPC-HC, try Haali as a renderer instead of the default EVR. Haali looks better (in my opinion) and uses way less resources. It doesn't use DXVA but is at least as efficient. You can get it here: http://haali.su/mkv/...skaSplitter.exe - in the setup make sure to uncheck "disable MPC-HC's internal splitter". You don't actually need the Haali splitter, just the renderer that comes with the setup. Also avoid the setting that makes Windows Media Player the default for MKV's. After the install is done, check the MPC-HC Settings for Output and set it to Haali renderer. Restart MPC-HC and you'll see what I mean :)

Thanks for the heads up! :p

I was looking for ways to improve video performance! I hope this helps!

Regarding the Artic Silver. I'm going to look for one tomorrow to have it as Backup. I have one that my friend gave me, just so I could try to see if that was the problem.

On the other hand... I'm into the replacing the thermal paste. FOR CHRIST SAKE! This MUST BE THE PROBLEM, because the DAMN THING is hard as steel. It looks like the paste was soldered to the heatsink (The GPU end). On the other hand, the CPU went off flawlessly....

#19 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:33

So! 1 hour and a half later I came up to the conclusion that it IS indeed the Thermal Paste which was the problematic here. I applied a small layer to the GPU as the Internet suggested. The results were great! The idling temperatures went down from 68°C to 60-62°C. The Computer didn’t make a single noise when it booted!
But… When I threw it a 1080p video it skyrocketed to 95°C!
I then decided to apply more thermal paste to see if it would work.

Before that, I decided to run a “pre-boot System Assessment Build”, which it usually failed before applying the thermal paste and has yet finished.
When is finished I’ll post back the video performance and temperatures.

So far… THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I’m happy again. I thought I would need to replace the laptop due to this crappy issue :p. So this means that my goal for building a desktop next year stands!

P.S: If it still giving me trouble, I’ll just put it some Artic Silver 5 after I get some, and that’ll finish the job ;)

#20 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:57

So! 1 hour and a half later I came up to the conclusion that it IS indeed the Thermal Paste which was the problematic here. I applied a small layer to the GPU as the Internet suggested. The results were great! The idling temperatures went down from 68°C to 60-62°C. The Computer didn’t make a single noise when it booted!
But… When I threw it a 1080p video it skyrocketed to 95°C!
I then decided to apply more thermal paste to see if it would work.

Before that, I decided to run a “pre-boot System Assessment Build”, which it usually failed before applying the thermal paste and has yet finished.
When is finished I’ll post back the video performance and temperatures.

So far… THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I’m happy again. I thought I would need to replace the laptop due to this crappy issue :p. So this means that my goal for building a desktop next year stands!

P.S: If it still giving me trouble, I’ll just put it some Artic Silver 5 after I get some, and that’ll finish the job ;)

Glad to hear that! Good luck with your build next year! :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!