Nexus Phone

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 November 2012 - 19:00

The lack of LTE is not a big problem, at this moment in time most reviewers are unable to even tell the difference in speed between LTE and HSDPA enabled devices due to coverage being so spotty.

#17 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:25

This is the unlocked version. Provider specific versions that will come later will have LTE options. Unfortunately it may be difficult to make a device that would support all LTE options (especially since one like T-Mobile doesn't even have them yet).

Exactly this. This phone is more-or-less targeting pay-as-you-go users who probably won't have access to LTE for few more years, anyway. But I do agree with the general sentiment that the glass on the back of the Nexus 4 was a bad design decision. It looks nice, until it is cracked. I doubt there will be much anyone can do with it once it is cracked. Sure, it was a bad design decision on the iPhone 4/4S as well, but at least Apple has the support to back it up. They only charge like $30 to replace the back of the iPhone 4/4S. I don't think we will see anything similar from Google or LG support... their advice will likely be "buy a new phone if it bothers you" or wrap it in a case so you can't see the back anymore.

#18 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:34

I'd rather have a world 3G pentaband phone than a specific carrier locked LTE phone.

Seriously don't know why people bitching about LTE. Guess those are the rednecks never travel.

#19 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:48

I'd rather have a world 3G pentaband phone than a specific carrier locked LTE phone.

Seriously don't know why people bitching about LTE. Guess those are the rednecks never travel.

To be fair, you can get a carrier locked LTE phone that supports 3G worldwide on Verizon or AT&T.... just be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for international coverage plans (like my boss does).

Personally, I would rather have the unlocked phone and then have a SIM for the region I'm visiting because the price of the international coverage plans from Verizon and AT&T should just be criminal.

Steep price to carry your local phone number wherever you go. I mostly just want data coverage wherever I go..could careless about my carrier phone number tbh.

#20 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:31

Alright, first off, let me dismiss both of the arguments presented thus far.

Galaxy Nexus has LTE, Nexus 4 doesn't: If OP is considering a Nexus 4, he's obviously on a GSM carrier, since that's all it's available for. The GSM Galaxy Nexus didn't have LTE either. So that's one argument dismissed.

Nexus 4 only has 8 and 16 GB versions, Galaxy Nexus had 32 GB: If OP is considering a Nexus 4, he's obviously on a GSM carrier, since that's all it's available for. The GSM Galaxy Nexus is only available in 16 GB. So that's the second argument dismissed.

Now you're left with the Nexus 4 being a far a better phone than the Galaxy Nexus.

Edit: Whoops, I ignore TMobile usually, haha. Apparently TMobile got a 32GB Galaxy Nexus?

Edit again: Wait, no... I don't see a 32 GB version for T-Mobile anywhere. Jason Stillion, are you sure your phone is 32 GB? What is the model number? The 32 GB GSM Galaxy Nexus was never released.

#21 TheElite

TheElite

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:41

To be honest, if you can get a Galaxy Nexus over Nexus 4, I would do it.
Check with your cell phone provider. Nexus 4 isn't as good as the Galaxy Nexus, however the Nexus 4 is cheaper and easier to get with out contract.

Please. The Nexus 4 is miles ahead of the Galaxy Nexus. I know, I have one in my hand right now.

#22 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:40

To be fair, you can get a carrier locked LTE phone that supports 3G worldwide on Verizon or AT&T.... just be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for international coverage plans (like my boss does).

Personally, I would rather have the unlocked phone and then have a SIM for the region I'm visiting because the price of the international coverage plans from Verizon and AT&T should just be criminal.

Steep price to carry your local phone number wherever you go. I mostly just want data coverage wherever I go..could careless about my carrier phone number tbh.

Of course, if you leave the cost out from the equation, then anything is possible.