Nexus Phone

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 November 2012 - 19:00

The lack of LTE is not a big problem, at this moment in time most reviewers are unable to even tell the difference in speed between LTE and HSDPA enabled devices due to coverage being so spotty.

#17 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:25

This is the unlocked version. Provider specific versions that will come later will have LTE options. Unfortunately it may be difficult to make a device that would support all LTE options (especially since one like T-Mobile doesn't even have them yet).

Exactly this. This phone is more-or-less targeting pay-as-you-go users who probably won't have access to LTE for few more years, anyway. But I do agree with the general sentiment that the glass on the back of the Nexus 4 was a bad design decision. It looks nice, until it is cracked. I doubt there will be much anyone can do with it once it is cracked. Sure, it was a bad design decision on the iPhone 4/4S as well, but at least Apple has the support to back it up. They only charge like $30 to replace the back of the iPhone 4/4S. I don't think we will see anything similar from Google or LG support... their advice will likely be "buy a new phone if it bothers you" or wrap it in a case so you can't see the back anymore.

#18 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:34

I'd rather have a world 3G pentaband phone than a specific carrier locked LTE phone.

Seriously don't know why people bitching about LTE. Guess those are the rednecks never travel.

#19 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:48

I'd rather have a world 3G pentaband phone than a specific carrier locked LTE phone.

Seriously don't know why people bitching about LTE. Guess those are the rednecks never travel.

To be fair, you can get a carrier locked LTE phone that supports 3G worldwide on Verizon or AT&T.... just be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for international coverage plans (like my boss does).

Personally, I would rather have the unlocked phone and then have a SIM for the region I'm visiting because the price of the international coverage plans from Verizon and AT&T should just be criminal.

Steep price to carry your local phone number wherever you go. I mostly just want data coverage wherever I go..could careless about my carrier phone number tbh.

#20 +AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:31

Alright, first off, let me dismiss both of the arguments presented thus far.

Galaxy Nexus has LTE, Nexus 4 doesn't: If OP is considering a Nexus 4, he's obviously on a GSM carrier, since that's all it's available for. The GSM Galaxy Nexus didn't have LTE either. So that's one argument dismissed.

Nexus 4 only has 8 and 16 GB versions, Galaxy Nexus had 32 GB: If OP is considering a Nexus 4, he's obviously on a GSM carrier, since that's all it's available for. The GSM Galaxy Nexus is only available in 16 GB. So that's the second argument dismissed.

Now you're left with the Nexus 4 being a far a better phone than the Galaxy Nexus.

Edit: Whoops, I ignore TMobile usually, haha. Apparently TMobile got a 32GB Galaxy Nexus?

Edit again: Wait, no... I don't see a 32 GB version for T-Mobile anywhere. Jason Stillion, are you sure your phone is 32 GB? What is the model number? The 32 GB GSM Galaxy Nexus was never released.

#21 TheElite

TheElite

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:41

To be honest, if you can get a Galaxy Nexus over Nexus 4, I would do it.
Check with your cell phone provider. Nexus 4 isn't as good as the Galaxy Nexus, however the Nexus 4 is cheaper and easier to get with out contract.

Please. The Nexus 4 is miles ahead of the Galaxy Nexus. I know, I have one in my hand right now.

#22 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:40

To be fair, you can get a carrier locked LTE phone that supports 3G worldwide on Verizon or AT&T.... just be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for international coverage plans (like my boss does).

Personally, I would rather have the unlocked phone and then have a SIM for the region I'm visiting because the price of the international coverage plans from Verizon and AT&T should just be criminal.

Steep price to carry your local phone number wherever you go. I mostly just want data coverage wherever I go..could careless about my carrier phone number tbh.

Of course, if you leave the cost out from the equation, then anything is possible.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!