We want to revamp the Subscriber Perks and we want your input!

Make a Windows Phone app and I'll subscribe

You know. I've been waiting for something like that as well. I mean I do use the mobile site, but I'd love an official app with the quality of something like the WPCentral app for the front end. I'm not sure how they could work the forums in though...as forums can be tricky in a mobile app.

1.Up the price in a combo of tshirt + sub, eg, $35 for a sub free tshirt included or whatever, just at a lower price than just getting tshirt + subs.Though shipping outside of UK and US would be expensive.

I had the same idea, and was going to post this before I saw your response.

I would even put money into a pool towards banning certain members I severely dislike (not on grounds of political opinion in RWI but purely because they constantly make stupid troll posts), but then that is a slippery slope that could just as well back fire.

Hmm, interesting thought. What if a subscriber could 'vote down' a poster? Can only 'down vote' a particular poster once. And if that poster got to a certain number of 'down votes', they would get a temp ban, and escalate from there? Might help keep down on some of the trolling ... moderation by committee.

I don't think subscribers should get any sort of extra power on the website, as anyone can subscribe as long as they can afford it and have the right payment method.

The thing I remember most is that we all got to test new features and themes before everyone else. That was probably the last time I felt like I was getting something back other than the ads being removed and the extra forum. Maybe if we got some sort of exclusive access to something before everyone else like competitions or giveaways then that would be cool. Paying subscribers get to go first in line sorta thing.

If I could hide all Windows 8-related news from the front page I'm subscribing. Even though I wonder if there would be much left :/

I once seriously considered subscribing, but both the nature of the tech world and the users that come here now has changed it a lot. I used to browse forums, read a lot of topics, really discuss things. Now it's just visiting the front page, seeing if there's something interesting in my notifications or tracker and that's it. A lof of the general customization and beta stuff is gone. Because there's less to customize and because there are less leaks. And that's a bit of a shame.

• Like 3

Paying members get to down-vote comments on articles. This way, people who actually contribute to the site can push down low-quality posts. I probably won't be subscribing soon (broke college student), but I think it'd be fair for subscribers to at least push down the things they don't want to see. Set comments to be hidden (though still view-able if desired) at a -3 threshold or something.

Just my thoughts, considering there were many complaints regarding the garbage people post these days leading to discouraging others from posting or coming back to Neowin.

• Like 2

Monthly competitons for subscribers? I'm thinking small programs such as a license for Start8 or Decor8? Aren't Neowin partly owned by Stardock in some form? So maybe the 2 could run a monthly or bi-monthly competition for those licenses?

Possibly ranging up to bigger prizes such as Halo 4? What's that like ?35? Many people have xboxes, PC's etc... or even cheapish PC games? ?35 for Halo 4 may sound like a lot for a give away to the admins who run this site in their spare time, but with the competitions, it would also increase the subscriber rate, heavily subsidising the cost of the prizes!

Just my 2 Pennys!

• Like 1

Thinking if we add Darkside on any future version of the site, to be a subscriber only feature.

Now that would upset me. I'm fairly light sensitive, and so Darkside is the only theme I use because of that...so I would have to pay because of that. :p

Oh if only! Ignore list doesn't cut it. I would even put money into a pool towards banning certain members I severely dislike (not on grounds of political opinion in RWI but purely because they constantly make stupid troll posts), but then that is a slippery slope that could just as well back fire.

I see my days are numbered here. Oh well, it's been a good run. :D

Going to be honest about the sub perks too, which may help in revising the perks themselves.

• Your own Neowin blog.
  • Unlimited edit time for your topic titles & posts.
  • Boosts PM storage to 500 messages, allows PM attachments and up to 10 participants per conversation.
  • Removes flood control.
  • Raises the upload limit for attachments to 4mb (per post).
  • Includes a private & support forum.
  • Sneak peaks and testing of new features being added to Neowin.
  • All advertising removed professionally by Neowin.

• I think I used this maybe once since becoming a sub2. My blog is facebook, so I guess this isn't needed to me. - It can probably go.
  • This to me is handy as I often edit posts from misspelling words or something not making sense. - Keep it.
  • This is handy for people who message all the time, but since I rarely get private messages anyway, this is useless to me. - It can probably go.
  • Handy but unless your spamming with pics in the sub only parts of the forum, its not needed.
  • I would host attachments externally - same here. I use imgur and have noticed more and more people using that too.
  • I actually say keep this, even if its not used as much as one would like. The point of Neowin is being a community and keeping things here, why search Google for a way to fix something when a forum member can give you 1 on 1 feedback and help right away?
  • Because no real features or upgrades have happened since the last big theme upgrade, I cant say I will miss this as updates to the site don't happen fast enough. But in saying that, why fix something that isn't broken?
  • This saves me having to get an addon.

So thats my rant, heres what I would like to see thou.

1. A vote down system for subs only or a dislike button added.

2. Access to the private beta server to give feedback and help with adding themes or features before going live. Actually I know this is already in place, but it would be great if we could get more access to features or even have more input to themes in development.

3. LOVE the idea of monthly give-a-ways! Maybe up the price of subbing by say $10 and use the profits so to speak to pool in for the prizes for that month.

4. This idea is actually pretty out there but I remember reading that Neowin is losing members. Why not have the first competition to design a magazine layout highlighting what the site is, and how it can help the tech minded people and put that advert in a few tech mags? Example would be T3 magazine, and say Windows User or mags like that. Surely a 1 page full advert in say 4-5 different magazines a month wouldn't cost that much? It would be a awesome way to reach new people to join the site!

5. Free T-Shirt :p

Unlimited edit & Ad removal on all paid tier's.

Also if there is a way to merge my old account w/ my new account - had to do with FB login creating new one when I tried the login w/ FB and was asleep at the wheel so to speak as to what happened and no longer have e-mail account old profile is attached to for password reset - I gladly buy a years subscription.

Cleaned

Please stay on topic. This thread is about Subscriber perks. If you have an issue with the site, then make a thread in the S&FI forum.

I'm actually against the down vote idea.

It's too easily abused and it's not an ideal we should be pushing on the forums.

I like the idea of the 10 minute delay on content.

I like the idea of a custom skin for the website.

I like the idea off sub only competitions (although I think it should be alongside non-sub comps).

I'd like the "see upcoming themes and changes etc" idea to be used more often >.>

I really like the idea of giving out a couple of free sub positions a year. I think it just makes people feel more community orientated.

So yeah >.>

Make a Windows Phone app and I'll subscribe

This is already in the works.

1. A vote down system for subs only or a dislike button added.

2. Access to the private beta server to give feedback and help with adding themes or features before going live. Actually I know this is already in place, but it would be great if we could get more access to features or even have more input to themes in development.

3. LOVE the idea of monthly give-a-ways! Maybe up the price of subbing by say $10 and use the profits so to speak to pool in for the prizes for that month.

4. This idea is actually pretty out there but I remember reading that Neowin is losing members. Why not have the first competition to design a magazine layout highlighting what the site is, and how it can help the tech minded people and put that advert in a few tech mags? Example would be T3 magazine, and say Windows User or mags like that. Surely a 1 page full advert in say 4-5 different magazines a month wouldn't cost that much? It would be a awesome way to reach new people to join the site!

5. Free T-Shirt :p

We aren't losing members, daily registrations are pretty steady :)

We won't ever delay our news 10 minutes (or however long) for a limited small group of people, sorry.. That would just ensure that Neowin is 10 minutes slower to push out news.

I think Darkside is needed anyway, a light and dark version of a website for comfortable reading would seem the logical thing to do anyway, but we can maybe talk about additional themes or features.

One thing I'm considering is a monthly subscription option as well, so people can see what they get for the cheaper full year.

And the removal of blogs, yeah.. I'll be alerting subs soon to back up any content from there as they won't be included with the 3.4 update.