Photo

We want to revamp the Subscriber Perks and we want your input!

input subscription

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#61 +M2Ys4U

M2Ys4U

Your friendly neighbourhood Pirate!

• 8,030 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:55

Bring back the monthly forum stats for subscribers (what happened to them anyway, they just suddenly stoppped a while back?)

#62 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,090 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6 JB

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:38

Please don't do lifetime subs. As mentioned before, revenue won't come in if that is the case.

Maybe do 3 year subs instead?

#63 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 29,878 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:41

K we won't do lifetime subs, I am leaning towards creating a monthly though.. hopefully it won't turn our secret area into a bad place though!

Also, I think IPB 3.4 no longer has reputation (positive/negative) votes.. It's just Like and that's it.. although they have added a "Solved" option for threads, we'll know more once it is nearer release.

Bring back the monthly forum stats for subscribers (what happened to them anyway, they just suddenly stoppped a while back?)

I stopped doing them because a) why give other sites a marker on our performance? and b) any lower stat month on month isn't a good ad for the forums.

I could revive this just for subscribers though, will have to think about it.

#64 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,090 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:42

I like the idea of the solved option, especially when asking for help on tech issues :)
Any feedback on the magazine ads idea anyway? Even if Neowin isn't losing numbers it would be a pretty awesome way to get new ones :)

#65 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 29,878 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:43

I like the idea of the solved option, especially when asking for help on tech issues :)
Any feedback on the magazine ads idea anyway? Even if Neowin isn't losing numbers it would be a pretty awesome way to get new ones :)

Magazine ads? I missed that :p

#66 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:49

I like the "solved" thing as well. Very nice.

#67 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:55

Run an AGM where subscribers can vote on performance of staff members and have an input of the handling of the site (without taking away any actual control from the owners who obviously have complete veto power).

This. There are some staff members that need a performance review to give them a clunk on the head sometimes.

#68 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• 3,190 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:16

Yeah we need a magazine like Engadget does with their "Distro" :D

#69 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:19

I like the T-shirt idea. Maybe offer a 2-year $50 subscription, that comes with a T-shirt of choice.

I liked some of the other ideas pitched around as well. But personally, I never really subscribed for any of the perks (other than unlimited edit time, because I sometimes make boneheaded mistakes/comments and would like to stay out of trouble as much as possible :p). I am completely fine just supporting NeoWin out of good will because I enjoy the site.... And a free T-shirt never hurts! :rofl:

#70 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXIX

• 116,109 posts
  • Phone: Samsung

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:45

Oh yeah I remember your graphs!

#71 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• 1,317 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z White

Posted 18 November 2012 - 19:08

Thinking if we add Darkside on any future version of the site, to be a subscriber only feature.

How do you want to make a css theme members only? would take a hell of a lot coding to get it not bypass able lol
In most cases the darkside theme would be put by someone on userstyles.org :/

I would like a admin edit tool for subscribers on their own topics, all edits need to approved by a mod or admin ofcourse.

#72 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• 9,619 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:08

How do you want to make a css theme members only? would take a hell of a lot coding to get it not bypass able lol
In most cases the darkside theme would be put by someone on userstyles.org :/

I would like a admin edit tool for subscribers on their own topics, all edits need to approved by a mod or admin ofcourse.

If someone is gonna go through all that trouble, doesn't bother me.

#73 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,090 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:13

10% of subscriber funds go towards buying you reading glasses :p

Basically I said if you intend to make monthly competitions, have the first one to design a full page (and maybe a half page) magazine advert outlining what the site is, what it has to offer and just talk it up a bit, and then see how much it costs to place that winning ad in a handful of tech mags every month. More people reading them will see the professional content on the site and bring in new users. Those people will hopefully sign up and become subs as well, which should end up paying for itself in the long run.

Either way, it cant hurt to ring the advertising depts in a handful of mags and see how much they charge for a full page or half page ad and if it's do-able, just up the price of the sub by a couple bucks to get started.

#74 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:30

1.Up the price in a combo of tshirt + sub, eg, $35 for a sub free tshirt included or whatever, just at a lower price than just getting tshirt + subs.Though shipping outside of UK and US would be expensive.

a) Only if you still have a normal option. I already havea t-shirt and I don't need a new one + shipping every year haha :laugh:
b) They are of horrible, horrible quality. Change the manufacturer first. I was greatly disappointed.

Glassed Silver:ios

#75 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 12,778 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:35

a) Only if you still have a normal option. I already havea t-shirt and I don't need a new one + shipping every year haha :laugh:
b) They are of horrible, horrible quality. Change the manufacturer first. I was greatly disappointed.

Glassed Silver:ios

The T-shirt would need to be a one off thing ( eg the first time you subscribe.)

Glassed, you should make a review pointing that out !

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!