Microsoft Could Launch a Start Menu Option in Windows 8

Well thank god for that lol :)

But, I could say the same, as in 'switch' it around, and say, so you think your opinion is law?, and if I, or anyone else disagrees with it, we are making fun of you?

Nonsense!

Except he never said you couldn't dislike Windows 8. BUT YOU claimed that windows 8 was unusable without start menu replacements. sorry, you're off the deep end on this.

Lol. You obviously have very poor taste. Your desktop probably looks completely unorganized and ugly.

How so, He's right, you didn't provide a SINGLE counter argument outside of personal attacks. oh and BTW, I prefer not having any icons on my desktop, the desktop is not a launcher or storage outside of very temporary files that's downloaded then deleted.

I'm a web/graphic designer actually and I think Modern UI is crap.

Sorry, but I've seen 5 year olds with finger paint, do better designs that most peopel who call themselves web/graphics designers. you're going to need a bit better credentials than that to be taken seriously.

Let me present a scenario: Graphic designer works on a very detailed graphic which require his attention, he needs an additional app for something

a) In Windows 7 he opens the small (start) menu find what he need and continue his work with as small as possible distraction.

b) In Windows 8 he opens the colorful full screen menu which completely distract him from his work.

How Metro UI will be non-distractive?

Why Microsoft try to force the new UI on their customers?

Microsoft could made the finishing of the setup wizard with user input of selecting UI with or without start menu, it is not that hard as they already have 99% of everything needed.

Bad example.

Metro is not at all distracting. Simply set the clean background, unpin the live tiles, and Start simply becomes a launcher.

As for the need to "keep an eye on things", all you have to do is open Start up on a second monitor, which a graphic designer most likely has.

Hm, but the button is still there in the same place, on hover :/ I do hope they don't place it back everpresent on the Taskbar.

I'm not talking about taking up any amount of space on the taskbar per se, the space is already there with the odd gap between the screen edge and the first taskbar button. I just mean put some kind of visual hint that it's there would be nice for helping migrate users to the start screen. Something like the "Show Desktop" button in Windows 7, but on the left/top (depending on your taskbar orientation). I've not got any kind of problem with the start screen in particular, but having all these magic hotspots is a usability no-no.

Listen. There is two sides to every story, and I know these Win8 threads can get a little 'heated' at times, for that, I apologise if I have stepped off the mark, please forgive me.

All I ask is that, maybe what works for you, just works, great, but please try and accept that quite a few do not see it that way, also great. But, not all will accept 'change' just because YOU think its right, and why should they? People have differing opinions, regardless of what YOU think should be the norm, and I'm not saying they are correct either, but either way, it should ALL be respected regardless, no matter what point of view?

We all end up going around in circles otherwise, and I am as guilty as the next.

Thank you.

• Like 1