win8

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#166 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:49

The Metro Start Screen and the hot corners don't make the system unusable. Poor choice of words. In no way, shape, or form do they prevent me from completing my tasks.

Not a 'poor choice of words'. Maybe in 'your' eyes, yes, but certainly not in mine, sorry.

Are you dating Ballmer? Are you wanting his job? Is this the real reason Sinboy left? Was he threatened by YOU!?

#167 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:56

Not a 'poor choice of words'. Maybe in 'your' eyes, yes, but certainly not in mine, sorry.

Are you dating Ballmer? Are you wanting his job? Is this the real reason Sinboy left? Was he threatened by YOU!?

So in other words your opinion is law and anyone who disagrees deserves ridicule?

Thanks for helping me add to my ignored list :)

#168 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:08

So in other words your opinion is law and anyone who disagrees deserves ridicule?

Thanks for helping me add to my ignored list :)

Well thank god for that lol :)

But, I could say the same, as in 'switch' it around, and say, so you think your opinion is law?, and if I, or anyone else disagrees with it, we are making fun of you?

Nonsense!

#169 Superboy

Superboy

Neowinian

• 121 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:37

what I don't understand is if tey are all against the start menu and giving choice as to wheter I want use it instead of the start screen and the answer they give is "well why do you need the start menu you have the new and improved start screen we needed to teke out the code because it was soooooooooo muchhhhhh code it was slowing down windows" well if that was the case then why then they don't get rid of IE10 in the desktop they got anotherone in metro, and why they don't block facebook on the web to prevent it downloading stuff you already have apps and integration in metro, and what about calendar, calculator, tweeter, and all the oter redundant aplications on the desktop, they take sooooooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhh space like the start menu and consume resources and for what? you got them in metro so why do they give you choice for those apps and not the start menu????? another thing if they say the windows 8 is soooooo muchhhhh faster than windows 7 then why did they take out Aero if they are so afraid of resources being used they why not take the whole interface out and go back to a text interface that would be a "Fast" interface and will use almost no resources no animations no transicions no transparecy no icons that would make windows way faster lol :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: and if you don't like a text only interface "well you got windows 7 to go back :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: /sc" don't get me wrong I like some of the improvements of windows 8 on the desktop part but what I think they should have done was make a separe version for the tablets or at least give the choice of whether you wanted it or not as simple as that.

#170 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,850 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:38

If I move my cursor down to the lower left corner, and click, Start opens. I click a tile, an app opens, and if that app happens to be a Win32 app, I'm taken back to the desktop. I can scroll "down" Start using my mouse wheel. If I need back on the desktop, it's only a click or a key press away.

If I move my cursor to the top left corner, the task switcher opens, I click a window, and an app running in the background opens.

If I move my cursor to the top right corner, Charms opens.

I can still install the apps I need.

I can still work the way I want to.

Seems like the OS works perfectly fine to me. Completely usable.

I think you're looking for opinionated words like 'unconventional', 'inconvenient', maybe 'troublesome', etc...

#171 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:42

what I don't understand is if tey are all against the start menu and giving choice as to wheter I want use it instead of the start screen and the answer they give is "well why do you need the start menu you have the new and improved start screen we needed to teke out the code because it was soooooooooo muchhhhhh code it was slowing down windows" well if that was the case then why then they don't get rid of IE10 in the desktop they got anotherone in metro, and why they don't block facebook on the web to prevent it downloading stuff you already have apps and integration in metro, and what about calendar, calculator, tweeter, and all the oter redundant aplications on the desktop, they take sooooooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhh space like the start menu and consume resources and for what? you got them in metro so why do they give you choice for those apps and not the start menu????? another thing if they say the windows 8 is soooooo muchhhhh faster than windows 7 then why did they take out Aero if they are so afraid of resources being used they why not take the whole interface out and go back to a text interface that would be a "Fast" interface and will use almost no resources no animations no transicions no transparecy no icons that would make windows way faster lol :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: and if you don't like a text only interface "well you got windows 7 to go back :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: /sc" don't get me wrong I like some of the improvements of windows 8 on the desktop part but what I think they should have done was make a separe version for the tablets or at least give the choice of whether you wanted it or not as simple as that.

1. Wall of text...please fix it.

2. They didn't talk about it like it was so much code. They had made some serious changes to the OS, and the older start wasn't able to handle some of the changes they made. Their telemetry data was able to tell them how often the start button was actually used. So looking at that data they knew it wasn't really being used, and they already had the start screen ready.

You should read some of the earlier posts...in particular the post that links to an explanation from one of the folks that worked on OS. It has all this info and more. The reasons for removal were valid.

Oh, and yeah...they didn't take out Aero. They took out Glass on the frames...but Glass is still present on the taskbar...and Aero is still the primary theme, but with some changes made for Windows 8.

So again...please don't post up something like this without at least checking what you're saying.

#172 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

• 3,412 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:57

Guys. **** the damn menu. It doesn't need to be around anymore. The Start screen is more attractive and functional, and it totally destroys the entire purpose of re-imagining Windows. Does nobody think before they write, anymore?

Lol. You obviously have very poor taste. Your desktop probably looks completely unorganized and ugly.

#173 Superboy

Superboy

Neowinian

• 121 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:58

OCD much

2. They didn't talk about it like it was so much code. They had made some serious changes to the OS, and the older start wasn't able to handle some of the changes they made. Their telemetry data was able to tell them how often the start button was actually used. So looking at that data they knew it wasn't really being used, and they already had the start screen ready.

if no one was using it then why put a bigger one that I don't need to use and if I wanted all my icons on the screen Fences is great for that just doble click and they disapear, you don't need the start screen

You should read some of the earlier posts...in particular the post that links to an explanation from one of the folks that worked on OS. It has all this info and more. The reasons for removal were valid.

and if you take out animations, transicions, transparency, and graphics the os will become faster, that's pretty valid to me to make a text OS

Oh, and yeah...they didn't take out Aero. They took out Glass on the frames...but Glass is still present on the taskbar...and Aero is still the primary theme, but with some changes made for Windows 8.

So again...please don't post up something like this without at least checking what you're saying.

really they took out what made Aero Aero without the glass effect guess what it is called "Classic"

#174 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,850 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:00

Lol. You obviously have very poor taste. Your desktop probably looks completely unorganized and ugly.

You tell me. All my icons are organized into groups on the Start Screen. My desktop is as clean as it can be. :D

Screenshot (847).png

Screenshot (848).png

#175 Superboy

Superboy

Neowinian

• 121 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:04

You tell me. All my icons are organized into groups on the Start Screen.

Screenshot (847).png

you don't need the start screen to hide your icons, Fences works great for that and you can organaize them into groups too plus you don't need to get out of desktop mode

#176 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,593 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:24

From skimming through this thread, I've come to the conclusion that I may be the on,y person that uses the start key on his keyboard to access the start screen. I don't think I've clicked a corner or start orb for years. My usual usage is, Winkey, then type what I need. It's been like that since vista

#177 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:26

Steven Sinofsky is no longer head of the Windows division and more and more voices familiar with matter are hinting that a Start Menu option could, after all, land on Windows 8 platforms.

I suspect it will come back now. A week ago I would have said the start menu option was dead in the water but a week ago I would have placed every dime of my money on a bet against Sinofsky leaving Microsoft.

#178 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:52

Seems like the OS works perfectly fine to me. Completely usable.

I think you're looking for opinionated words like 'unconventional', 'inconvenient', maybe 'troublesome', etc...

For you my friend, for you. I understand that you adore this way of working buddy, that is great, honestly! Nothing wrong with that at all, no way, but what is completely 'usable' to yourself, might just not be to 'others'?, including myself. :)

What is wrong with that? Is that unconventional, inconvenient, and maybe troublesome all round? Now that is the question? ;)

#179 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:57

OCD much

if no one was using it then why put a bigger one that I don't need to use and if I wanted all my icons on the screen Fences is great for that just doble click and they disapear, you don't need the start screen

and if you take out animations, transicions, transparency, and graphics the os will become faster, that's pretty valid to me to make a text OS

really they took out what made Aero Aero without the glass effect guess what it is called "Classic"

1. Nope. It's called being considerate towards people who are going to read your text. People can read things more easily with proper formatting. Not doing that shows contempt and disregard for yourself and potential readers. If you can't take the time to care about what you're presenting...why should they?

2. Evidently I was wrong in point 1 about making it easier to read if the text is well formatted. The point was that people weren't using the start button. That's why that was deprecated. The start menu had issues that were going to take a lot of work to resolve because of other core OS changes. I won't keep repeating this though since it's apparent you don't care.

3. Hmm actually it seems like you have no intention to discuss this. I was reading your post point by point while replying...and I won't waste further time replying to you on this...unless you indicate you actually want to have an honest discussion and not just troll.

From skimming through this thread, I've come to the conclusion that I may be the on,y person that uses the start key on his keyboard to access the start screen. I don't think I've clicked a corner or start orb for years. My usual usage is, Winkey, then type what I need. It's been like that since vista

Actually I use mine all the time, and so do most folks that I know. It seems like it's the people who are resistant to change who don't use it...and since the keyboards have had the WinKey on them for over a decade now it makes sense that they wouldn't want to use it...since back in Windows 95 days most keyboards didn't have that on there.

I suspect it will come back now. A week ago I would have said the start menu option was dead in the water but a week ago I would have placed every dime of my money on a bet against Sinofsky leaving Microsoft.

Considering JL-G is in charge? Nope.

#180 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:37

I also prefer my 'favourites' hidden, and where they should be, in my browser lol, and certainly not on my desktop!

Posted Image

You been taking 'e' s lol :D