Photo

Is this Intel SSD compatible with my motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:23

I'm on a 6-year old BTX based machine. I have an Intel SSD in it...and TRIM works just fine.

Trust me...it's not an issue.

SSDs work with motherboard chipsets as old as the Intel 8xx series - to put that in perspective, those were new when Windows XP was the OS du jour among Neowinians.

The issue is the controller chipset - TRIM support helps, but is not a requirement, any more than AHCI is. ICH5R supports AHCI; however, ICH7 does not. (The ICH5R southbridge was the preferred southbridge for the 865PE and 875P chipsets, while ICH7 was the default for both G31, AKA Bear Lake, and G41, AKA Eagle Lake.) However, ICH7, despite the lack of AHCI, does support TRIM in the default driver for Windows 7/8, as do *all* Intel southbridges back to even the original ICH5 - whether the southbridge supports AHCI or not.

Having both helps - however, neither is required, and one can exist without the other.

#17 OP Cosmin

Cosmin

Graphics & Engineering

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:19

so my specs have any chance for... trim :D ?

#18 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:14

It's an nForce motherboard, so depends which drivers you use. If you use Microsoft's generic driver then yes. If you use nVidia's specific driver then no...

See http://www.evga.com/...ge=1&print=true

#19 OP Cosmin

Cosmin

Graphics & Engineering

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:45

so this driver "replacement'' won't affect working also with my current WD hdd? Seems so easy.. hope that it's real ;)
~ also.. it's recommended to have only one partition (ntfs) on ssd or simply doesn't matter?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!