How to connect 3G in Windows 7

I have a 3G data card.

Can anybody please tell me the steps how to connect to internet using a data card in Windows 7 Ultimate.

How do I select network mode to 3G / HSDPA / WCDMA in Windows 7 Ultimate.

Please tell me the steps.

• Like 1

did you install the drivers for your data card? is there connection software with the data card? if the driver is installed you should be able to tell 7 to connect with the wireless manager. you have given very little information so my answer may not help..

With my 3G card in my laptop I just get an extra option/category in the Wireless menu, right above the WiFi networks. I can connect to my 3G from there just fine. If you don't see it there you either need to use another tool that's specific for the 3G card or you didn't install the drivers properly.

I get a menu in Wireless manager ...but speed is slow ....its a GSM speed .....I put APN , userid,password and then click connect under Wireless manager menu......it connects ...but very slow .....not getting 3G speed.

There should be a network mode selection to 3G in Windows 7 ....where is it ?

I get a menu in Wireless manager ...but speed is slow ....its a GSM speed .....I put APN , userid,password and then click connect under Wireless manager menu......it connects ...but very slow .....not getting 3G speed.

There should be a network mode selection to 3G in Windows 7 ....where is it ?

You cannot select network modes in the native interface. It autoselects the fastest speed available on your network.

I get 3G speed ....when I put the SIM card in Samsung Galaxy phone and create a tethering wi-fi hot spot and access internet in Windows 7.

However I don't want to put SIM in Samsung Galaxy phone because this approach is battery killer.

area is a 3G area. ....its Huwaei 3G data card. ...I prefer to put data card in Laptop's USB .

when I plug data card in USB I ge this ...

step2.png

Do you know how to change name ? that name does not make sense....its default name

When I click connect I get this ...

step3.png

I put the credentials here and I get connected to the internet ....but speed becomes slow .....Is there any separate settings required to enhance speed ?

( I get more speed when I use the SIM in Samsung Galaxy Phone and create a tethering wi-fi hot spot and access wi-fi)

when I plug data card in USB I ge this ...

step2.png

Do you know how to change name ? that name does not make sense....its default name

When I click connect I get this ...

step3.png

I put the credentials here and I get connected to the internet ....but speed becomes slow .....Is there any separate settings required to enhance speed ?

( I get more speed when I use the SIM in Samsung Galaxy Phone and create a tethering wi-fi hot spot and access wi-fi)

You were told recently that you can not choose the speed on your data card on your desktop. It is connected to available network depends on your location. If you are not happy with the speed, ask your provider for 4G network as long as you have it in your area. If not, you will need to drive to a different location for higher speed network.

Unless you can call your provider on how to change the network for high speed.

My phone works in my town but it won't work in my friend's town which is a hour away from my town... I can't call or text to anyone in that town until I leave there to find the available town so I can get network back on.

To change your network name, you need to change it in network manager window... not that window from your taskbar.

you can not choose the speed on your data card on your desktop.

Ok...no problem.

It is connected to available network depends on your location. If you are not happy with the speed, ask your provider for 4G network as long as you have it in your area. If not, you will need to drive to a different location for higher speed network.

Unless you can call your provider on how to change the network for high speed.

It has nothing to do with the area and provider. As I have the evidence of getting higher speed when I use it through galaxy phone and tethering poratable wi-fi hot spot....so I can not blame provider & area at all.

My phone works in my town but it won't work in my friend's town which is a hour away from my town... I can't call or text to anyone in that town until I leave there to find the available town so I can get network back on.

yup.....but my case is different from yours....yours is a valid case though.

To change your network name, you need to change it in network manager window... not that window from your taskbar.

will check this out...thanks

It has nothing to do with the area and provider. As I have the evidence of getting higher speed when I use it through galaxy phone and tethering poratable wi-fi hot spot....so I can not blame provider & area at all.

The speed is vary at the time you are connected to and more people connect to the same network, the slower speed you get. Nothing you can do about it.

yup.....but my case is different from yours....yours is a valid case though.

I know it is different because I do not have data card for PC (I used to have one for my laptop about 7 years ago)... I was talking about available network and the speed we are connected to at the time we connect it to the network.

I have 4G network but I turned it off on my phone... I use WI-FI mostly... I use 3G sometimes.

Do you remember back in AOL days, that you were connected to 28k instead of 56k on your modem at time? That's how it works. Then next day, you were connected at 56k... woo!

At the time I downloaded 75MB file in less than 5 mins and it took longer than that on my friend's because we were connected at the different speed ...