Photo

Getting toast out with a knife or fork, Dangerous?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:37

I'm not that coordinated. :D

You don't have to be :)

Just grab the plate you plan to put the toast on. Pop it up...and quickly slide the plate forward. The toast will land on it. ;)

#17 roguekiller23231

roguekiller23231

Neowinian

• 179 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:32

unpluging it would remove the risk of electricution.

even if the toast has sprung up, most toasters heat element is activated by the mechanism being pushed down into a certain position.
Now, getting toast out with a knife would mean that the toast is stuck, so the mechanism would still be movable, so in the worst case that the toasters mechanism was right down and you put in something metal to take it out you could push it down enough for it to power the heating elements on.

being a heating element it will be a resistor of electricity, so when you put in a knife which will be a much better conductor of electricity, if YOUR grounded you will probably get shocked pretty bad, enough to kill.

#18 TCA

TCA

Neowinian Senior

• 2,929 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:18

ha haaa memories...i haven't gotten shocked yet doing that...although it's been a few years since i've eaten toast...this is coming from a guy who used to stick copper pipe in the light socket and pull the cord. Thank you for the memories OP! have fun with that toaster!!!! :):)

#19 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• 19,541 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:42

Funny I just did this as well this morning toasting English muffins...never thought about the shock thing, but don't care for getting burned either...decisions, decisions. :laugh:

#20 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,531 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:55

Every toaster I've ever seen pops the bread up a little at the end so it's reachable. Then again, I have long nails too and I usually use those to grab it, now that I think of it.

#21 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:35

shake it out into your mouff and if it lands on teh floor kick the toast under he fridge along with the ice cubes.

#22 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 17 November 2012 - 14:17

All toasters I have used allow you to pull the handle up a little more than resting position pushing the bread or toast up a bit higher.

#23 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• 3,491 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3 (Wicked)

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:15

just unplug it and rock and roll!

The only way to safely ensure it doesn't have current is to 'unplug' it from its source.

Happens more often then not. Just unplug it if your scared.

At least a few people here have common sense.

#24 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:23

I lived with a crazy girl for a few weeks, she was a friend, but after about 3 days of living there I became the babysitter :/

Anyhoo.... one day I was not the babysitter, her and her mother were looking after her 2 yr old daughter, I walked into the kitchen to get a drink, and up on a chair, with a completely metal butter knife, was her daughter stabbing the elements of a hot / live toaster !

I think I still have damaged ligaments from the speed I moved to grab her arm from the next 240v swipe, took her in to her mother and said what I caught her doing, the most I got was a raised eyebrow...

I left not long after

#25 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 7,751 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:31

I have a toaster with a rack... I wouldn't touch the rack with my hand because it's hot when it is in use. I use the fork to slide the toasts out of the rack and onto the plate. I used to have a pop-up toaster a long time ago so I don't have it anymore...

I haven't gotten shocked by it since I use it.

Or you can make toasts by using your big oven which it's easy to reach.

#26 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,901 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:33

ts the amperage

Amperage? Is that an American word? 18 months of Electrical training and I havent encountered it once, called it ampage or just generally "current"

#27 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:47

Amperage? Is that an American word? 18 months of Electrical training and I havent encountered it once, called it ampage or just generally "current"

hehe just reminded me, my gf calls "Fuses" - "Amps" :p

I`m forever on her case about it, but she insists that everyone, including the hardware shops know what she means / call them the same...

I'm just like... no, they know what you mean, but they don't call them that too :)

#28 jwjw1

jwjw1

Neowinian

• 4,425 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:55

not sure if its just an american slang..but its nothing really unknown. could be how one once to referance it...amp,ampere,ampacity. I've maintained my Union Journeyman Electrical License for over 20 years and still hear term amperage when doing walk-thurs in Nuclear Plants and Power Plants.

Posted Image
http://www.cerrowire...ampacity-charts

#29 Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

• 983 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:32

I left not long after

I hope you still continue to see your daughter though, yeah?

#30 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• 3,750 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:08

I hope you still continue to see your daughter though, yeah?

Not sure how you deduced it was his daughter...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!