Do you use category view in the control panel?

Do you use category view in the control panel?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use category view in the control panel?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, how worthless!
  2. 2. Start Screen and Category View

• I like the Wndows 8 start screen and I also like category view
    • I like the Windows 8 start screen but dislike category view
    • I dislike both the WIndows 8 start screen and category view
    • I dislike the WIndows 8 start screen but I like category view

Dislike Category View on Control panel. It's one of the first things I change on non-Domain PC's along with showing file extensions.

I do like Start screen though. I like the WinKey + type name of something functionality.

In XP and Vista category view was an abomination, they finally got it right in Windows 7 IMO, and keep it that way now. To be honest though the only thing I do in the control panel any more is uninstall stuff, so it might just be apathy causing me not to use it. If I can't find a control panel activity I'll normally just use the search bar and it pops straight up, so the category view is basically a non-issue.

I am freaked out by any list that I have to read. I always open start menu, and keep typing until what i want is the first item, and Enter.

And thats precisely the reason I hate the start screen. I just want to see one item, but it smacks my eyes with a screenful of flashy and colorful crap.

I am freaked out by any list that I have to read. I always open start menu, and keep typing until what i want is the first item, and Enter.

And thats precisely the reason I hate the start screen. I just want to see one item, but it smacks my eyes with a screenful of flashy and colorful crap.

Classic view with small icons. I like to see everything. I like know where everything is and have gotten used to the location of everything over the years. I don't like having to hunt down items. :)

Nope, that's the first thing I change on a new installation of Windows. On my own machines as well as friends'. It's easier to provide support that way. :)

The problem with the category view is, you have to figure out which options fit in what category in order to get there. Nice for noobs but couter productiver with power users.

Negative... I don't like task-oriented navigation... I prefer "Icon view". As messy as it is, I find it easier to get to the setting I want to change that way. I think it's just how my mind is organized... When I think of changing something, my mind fits it into what overall category it goes into... If I was more task-oriented, and maybe not necessarily as used to navigating through the more advanced menus, or simply had no idea which setting grouping it was in, I might use the "category view" setting... But I'm not. :-p

I've always disliked category view because it was retarded, then got a job doing phone support, I flipping HATE IT, it's practically impossible to walk someone through it, so I always made them change it

Yeah, I barely ever navigate in the control panel at all and just use search (open Control Panel and ctrl-E in Vista, winkey in 7, win-W in 8) for everything. Neither of the views was/is very good.

Although it's kind of funny that the older, flatter icon view IMO actually matches their current ("Metro") design direction more than the hierarchical category view.

Category view to me is something for newbies.. kind of like how ME and XP had the default screen to hide the contents of the Windows folder and Program Files folder because important system files are located there haha

On every machine, category view is the first thing to go. I find it totally worthless. My feeling is "Please don't hide stuff from me, I want to see everything"

The thing is, is that if you know what you're looking for then why are you even clicking on the control panel? Using the search feature is faster than hunting through a list. However, if you are unsure of what something is called you have the option of taking a stab at searching for it or filtering out options using the category view.

• Like 1

No, I don't. The reason being is because I like having access to all of the Control Panel items in one convenient location.

Don't like category view, never did. For me it always took longer to find things. And I also don't really like the start screen. Biggest thorn in my side with it is settings search. In Win 7 I can just type the name of the applet, like mouse, hit enter and I'm there. In 8 I have to type it, arrow down to get to settings and then click mouse, very cumbersome and annoying to do something that used to be so simple.

This is why I use Startisback on Windows 8 :p

I almost never use category view but it does it's advantages. I sometimes click to category view when I'm too lazy to find programs and features in icon view, or if I'm looking for some feature I rarely use.