Photo

Do you use category view in the control panel?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you use category view in the control panel?

Do you use category view in the control panel?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Start Screen and Category View

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 soumyasch

soumyasch

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:51

I am freaked out by any list that I have to read. I always open start menu, and keep typing until what i want is the first item, and Enter.

And thats precisely the reason I hate the start screen. I just want to see one item, but it smacks my eyes with a screenful of flashy and colorful crap.

I am freaked out by any list that I have to read. I always open start menu, and keep typing until what i want is the first item, and Enter.

And thats precisely the reason I hate the start screen. I just want to see one item, but it smacks my eyes with a screenful of flashy and colorful crap.

#32 norseman

norseman

Linux and Windows Admin

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:59

Classic view with small icons. I like to see everything. I like know where everything is and have gotten used to the location of everything over the years. I don't like having to hunt down items. :)

#33 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:22

Nope, that's the first thing I change on a new installation of Windows. On my own machines as well as friends'. It's easier to provide support that way. :)

#34 wrack

wrack

Wireless Robotic Android Calibrated for Killing

Posted 22 November 2012 - 22:42

The problem with the category view is, you have to figure out which options fit in what category in order to get there. Nice for noobs but couter productiver with power users.

#35 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 23:03

Pfffttt. You still go to Control Panel to look for things?! I thought you could search them instead ;)

/s

#36 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

Posted 22 November 2012 - 23:05

No, I hate it

#37 Reverend Spam

Reverend Spam

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Droid Bionic

Posted 22 November 2012 - 23:06

Negative... I don't like task-oriented navigation... I prefer "Icon view". As messy as it is, I find it easier to get to the setting I want to change that way. I think it's just how my mind is organized... When I think of changing something, my mind fits it into what overall category it goes into... If I was more task-oriented, and maybe not necessarily as used to navigating through the more advanced menus, or simply had no idea which setting grouping it was in, I might use the "category view" setting... But I'm not. :-p

#38 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 22 November 2012 - 23:06

No. I can't find anything in that view.

#39 joep1984

joep1984

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2012 - 23:14

I just search for what I need in the Start Menu. Who still even goes to the Control Panel at all?

#40 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 22 November 2012 - 23:29

I've always disliked category view because it was retarded, then got a job doing phone support, I flipping HATE IT, it's practically impossible to walk someone through it, so I always made them change it

#41 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:00

Yeah, I barely ever navigate in the control panel at all and just use search (open Control Panel and ctrl-E in Vista, winkey in 7, win-W in 8) for everything. Neither of the views was/is very good.

Although it's kind of funny that the older, flatter icon view IMO actually matches their current ("Metro") design direction more than the hierarchical category view.

#42 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:09

I just search for what I need in the Start Menu. Who still even goes to the Control Panel at all?

This.

#43 phunkymunky

phunkymunky

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:16

why would you bother when you can just search for the option you're after...

#44 Spartan Erik

Spartan Erik

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:19

Category view to me is something for newbies.. kind of like how ME and XP had the default screen to hide the contents of the Windows folder and Program Files folder because important system files are located there haha

#45 pack34

pack34

Professional Electron Wrangler

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:30

On every machine, category view is the first thing to go. I find it totally worthless. My feeling is "Please don't hide stuff from me, I want to see everything"

The thing is, is that if you know what you're looking for then why are you even clicking on the control panel? Using the search feature is faster than hunting through a list. However, if you are unsure of what something is called you have the option of taking a stab at searching for it or filtering out options using the category view.