Windows 8 sales dissapointing

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#241 ThePitt

ThePitt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,808 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:58

the head of the ex-ceo still rolling (the sales are not good and wont be) I dont see the point of m$ to support this (doomed) OS.

#242 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:13

the head of the ex-ceo still rolling (the sales are not good and wont be) I dont see the point of m$ to support this (doomed) OS.

Nothing happened to the CEO, and the only sales figure released showed that sales are faster than they were with Windows 7.

So the only actual released numbers are good. Everything else right now is just speculation.

#243 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,628 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:23

Grow up.

#244 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,035 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:32

Just throw it out, and do what, exactly? Do you think before you post?

#245 Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek

Neowinian

• 240 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 4 ~ Jelly Bean 4.2.1

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:38

What they should have done is make Windows 7 better and call it Windows 8, without changing its already usable and easy UI.

No, what they should have done is giving the user a choice when installing windows 8, by simply asking whether you want the normal desktop or the "modern" UI installed.
The way it is now is a weird hybrid not really suiting anyone.
I have tried - 4 times in all - running win 8 as my main OS. But every time I go back to the more uniform UI of windows 7.
If I had a tablet, I would most likely be running Win 8, but not on my high powered gaming machine.
Win 8 has some nice new features and I would have switched in a second if they gave me the option to install a desktop UI similar to win 7.

#246 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:45

Win 8 has some nice new features and I would have switched in a second if they gave me the option to install a desktop UI similar to win 7.

You and millions of other people. I have Windows 8 installed and I would love to have that option.

#247 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,035 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:52

Funny, because the Win7 desktop is still there...

#248 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,702 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:55

Running it at home and at work. I only use the desktop. The start screen is an inconvenience. Having full-screen apps on a desktop is a huge, pointless step back.
It doesn't seem as stable as 7 (hopefully an SP will fix this). I'll stick with it, anyway.

The Adventure mode in minesweeper is fun....

If I were Microsoft, I would keep the price as it is now -- if they are having trouble flogging it for $40, it is not going to sell once they bump it up to $100 or so.

#249 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,851 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:57

I still don't understand why so many people have an issue with the new start screen. I just don't get it.
It's a little different but you launch apps still the same way.

I definitely don't get it's a deal breaker to not upgrade, when you have all those start menu options

#250 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,517 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:58

roflmao, quote of the year right there.

On topic, I don't know if the Metro/Explorer hybrid UI is that bad. The real problem is the things that went backwards, particularly:

- Search: tablet centric and horrific waste of time

- So much Metro stuff got released and just don't work. The Xbox Music stuff and app just doesn't work, it's laughable how bad it is.

- the Windows Phone 8 Sync App works, but doesn't do anything; I can drag and drop files onto the phone from File Explorer.
(The store links don't work, the whole metro app hyperlink issue is affecting many and MS is silent. Once you get it, links in Mail app and any other metro app no longer launch a browser. There are some registry hacks to fix, but it's hit and miss).

- The whole devices and sharing on Charms Bar that is basically for tablets works but is virtually useless on the desktop.

- Just way too many odd bugs. It seems as though MS chose to meet some deadlines as opposed to delivering a polished cutting edge product(s) and ecosystem. I would have rather waited till December for RTM if that meant everything would work and be finished.

- The fact that there is no unified way to sync media from Desktop to Surface and Windows Phone 8 is just mind boggling. No flagship Windows 8 apps is also mind boggling. Office 2013 is great but a win32 app.

The best part of Windows 8, the Desktop Environment and how well win32 apps run. i.e. Windows 7 R2 would have sufficed for that.

I want Windows 8 and the ecosystem to succeed. I think it has great potential, but it shouldn't have been released in alpha stage. And pulling out core features and making the apps in the store does not excuse releasing them in less than fully functioning condition.

Just to put this in perspective, to actually get music and video on my Lumia 920 without pulling my hair out, I had to use Windows Media Player classic in Windows 8 Desktop environment. Nothing else "just worked". I have Windows 8, Surface RT, and Lumia 920. I'm refusing to do registry hacks to fix things and odd workarounds, etc. I'm just being a consumer who wants to use all this cool new stuff, and right now, it's a disaster, IMO. Without Media Player, I still can't manage my music library on my Surface. I'll go back to iPad before I do that much ridiculous work to create a playlist.

Microsoft is like the Dallas Cowboys right now. They have plenty of money and resources, great campus (the dome), well paid staff, on paper, they should be tearing through the league especially given their weak schedule. But they just always find a way to lose.

I just don't see Microsoft making major inroads in the phone or tablet market like this. They have the hardware and desktop dominance to leverage, but they just don't seem to have the internal leadership to pull it off. They see numbers and not consumers (real people).

If this is a result of internal management, or lack thereof, Ballmer has to take the blame. Allowing the internal culture to deteriorate to the point of not being able to produce products that work well together and this point in the game ... damn shame.

How can a company the size of Microsoft release so much stuff not working right in 2012? I just can't even grasp how jacked up the internal corporate culture and hierarchy has to be for this to happen.

Still the most popular flavor in America. Plain old reliable predictable vanilla.

Yet while sticking with vanilla is safe, if MICROSOFT sticks with *vanilla*, it gets whacked for it.

That is the real issue with Microsoft - while it can't play it safe, its customers and users can.

Even Baskin-Robbins didn't create the Core Thirty-One for their health.

And the very reason *why* Microsoft didn't create an 8 with just the Start menu is right under your nose - Windows 7 has not gone anywhere. It's still around, and is going to be supported for at least another eight years.

All those detractors and critics of Windows 8 know this - they aren't THAT dense.

#251 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:01

I still don't understand why so many people have an issue with the new start screen. I just don't get it.
It's a little different but you launch apps still the same way.

I definitely don't get it's a deal breaker to not upgrade, when you have all those start menu options

I don't like all that switching back and forth between the start screen and the desktop, especially since I use mostly desktop apps. I don't care for Metro apps.
And yes, I have my favorites pinned on the taskbar. But still, it's annoying when you do have to switch.

#252 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,851 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:08

I don't like all that switching back and forth between the start screen and the desktop, especially since I use mostly desktop apps. I don't care for Metro apps.
And yes, I have my favorites pinned on the taskbar. But still, it's annoying when you do have to switch.

I understand that, all I'm saying is that for me it's really not a big deal, I don't mind the switching.
I only use the start screen when I would have used the start menu in Win 7 which was barely ever.
At that point I don't mind it being full screen, I organized my start screen nicely so everything is pretty much only 2 clicks away ever.

I can see that some people find it a bit annoying to switch the whole time, but to despise it as some do over such a small thing just seems kinda silly

#253 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:09

You still had to open the start menu to launch things...so you had to switch away from the current task to launch the new one.

The old start menu used a folder hieracrchy that required digging through levels of folders sometimes to get to the actual program. The new start screen gives a 'flat' approach to the hierarchy which means less digging.

I think what has people upset is purely the fact that it's a change. Instead of a small menu on the bottom left it's a full-screen menu. Functionally it's not really different...aesthetically it is.

#254 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:13

I can see that some people find it a bit annoying to switch the whole time, but to despise it as some do over such a small thing just seems kinda silly

I agree with you on that. I use 8 and like it very much. I use a start menu replacement and am very happy with the entire experience.

#255 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,726 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:44

Yet while sticking with vanilla is safe, if MICROSOFT sticks with *vanilla*, it gets whacked for it.

That is the real issue with Microsoft - while it can't play it safe, its customers and users can.

Actually MS has no choice in this. The Explorer UI will not work on a tablet. That is how they got in this hole I the first place. They had really good concepts back in the day, but they just never saw the light of day.

At this point, it just wasn't easy. They couldn't "really" only implement Metro when a tablet was detected. Well actually they could have. To be honest, I'm not sure MS really ahd time to think this through. Full screen non-windowed apps on a desktop? Not gonna be successful, so either they thing the desktop really will fade away or Windows 9 will be another major UI/UX change. Now allowing windows Metro apps would fix, I don't see the point as for Windowing the Explorer UI is superior to an MDI Metro.

Someone like me doesn't mind the hybrid, and with great apps, it can be exciting. I have an issue with the lack of quality of the finished products at this point. Also, Metro Search and UI just has usability weaknesses on a desktop. File management, context menus ...

Others just don't like it.

I don't think Windows 7 is vanilla in the sense you are implying, and Windows 8 isn't tutti fruiti. It's a quite simple touch oriented UI. What's funny, the most complete and stable part of it right now? Yep, the good old vanilla Windows 8 Desktop environment :).

Microsoft has failed to execute in a timely manner (their own schedule) due to urgency and their internal culture didn't help. If their internal divisions can't communicate and work together, is it any surprise different parts of the OS and apps seem to be speaking different languages?

As two people who actually kinda like Windows 8, and really like the Surface (minus the missing media management that you can get on the desktop using Windows Media Player, is their any excuse for:

The kludge that is Windows 8 Search and the limited ability to do much with the results from the results list, the lack of unified search, the search input doesn't even clear itself with a new search or at the least, highlight the existing search keyword(s) so you can just start typing the new search.

Windows 8 OS and Windows Phone 8 released to retail with no meaningful Media Management resulting in the only solution being the "vanilla" (gotcha) classic Windows Media Player.

With Windows RT and Windows 8 OS being released to retail, no meaningful way to sync files between the Windows 8 RT Surface and Windows 8 Desktop?

The Music App and it's syncing/matching service is simply not really working. Synced playlists don't even look for the files locally 90% of the time.

That's not even counting the bugs. That's just the unfinished stuff Microsoft released. I couldn't be a Windows 8 evangelist if I wanted to. I wouldn't disrespect myself that much. There are too many things just not up to shareware quality. Microsoft needs a kick in the rear and all the criticism. And they need to be working to fix this mess with a sense of urgency. If there aren't major updates by Christmas, I predict a disaster when all the new Windows 8 hardware gets unwrapped and within a week falls apart for people who just want stuff to work. Things they've become accustomed to like music and videos, and iPad/iPhone apps working and not randomly quitting, etc. etc.

Yes, if all these things are fixed, anyone wanting to pass on Windows 8 because of the "Start" menu or resistance to change should then be carefully examined. Right now, you can't blame anyone for not wanting to move to Windows 8, or even Windows Phone 8 (if not for Windows Media Player, it would be the equivalent of having an Android only with more, arguably better apps).

BTW, Search will never be fixed. It was made for tablets, and works like it. Same goes for Devices and Sharing on the Charms bar. Have even you had occasion to use either on the desktop?

The worst part for customers? Microsoft can't openly admit how screwed up things are, or reassure us they are working day an night to fix things, if they did either of those they will insure Windows 8's failure. So silence ... and we wait.

PS: I don't actually mind if one day the desktop goes completely away. But based on what I've seen so far in Windows 8, that's a ridiculous thought.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!